Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The original Bose speakers in my 03 Touring are about shot. I have a pair of Infinity Ref 6522ex set to install. In looking over some installations posted here, it seems that people simply drill new holes into the plastic door panel to switch from the three-screw Bose to a four-screw replacement. Does the thin plastic really provide sufficient "bite" for the mounting screws? The original three holes all have extra backing for the screws, but only one of those holes can be used with the new speakers. So, do the new mounting holes need to have backing blocks added? Or is it sufficient to just be gentle with screwing into the thin panel?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Good news is that I got the front speakers installed. Bad news is that the problem I was having with the driver's side is still there - so it was probably not a bad speaker as I had thought.... The driver side woofer (replaced with 2-WAY) AND tweeter are much lower volume than the right. Messing with the balance confirms that left side is working, but at a much lower volume than the right. Any one have any idea? I also confirmed that the imbalance happens with both tuner and aux input.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I installed Kicker 6.5 inch 2 way speakers in the front doors in my 2001 Acura MDX Touring with Bose, no Nav. Sounded great. Then I installed 2 Sony 6.5 inch 3 way speakers in the rear doors. Immediately I noticed that the left rear speaker wasn't as loud as the other 3. No bass either. The Sony's were cheap so I concluded the speaker was bad. I returned them and got 2 Cerwin Vega 6.5 inch 3 way speakers. After installing, both the left side speakers aren't as loud. So I switched the left and right speakers to diagnose the problem. They worked fine on the right side. So the problem should be between the speaker and the amp, which above my pay grade. Anyone have any ideas on how to diagnose this problem?

Also, I'm surprised by the lack of info online about the 2001 MDX. I've run across a couple highly technical wiring diagrams but they're no help to a novice like me. And most of the links provided my members here were posted long enough ago that I can't access them. Anyone have some up to date info that a car audio rookie could use?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I installed Kicker 6.5 inch 2 way speakers in the front doors in my 2001 Acura MDX Touring with Bose, no Nav. Sounded great. Then I installed 2 Sony 6.5 inch 3 way speakers in the rear doors. Immediately I noticed that the left rear speaker wasn't as loud as the other 3. No bass either. The Sony's were cheap so I concluded the speaker was bad. I returned them and got 2 Cerwin Vega 6.5 inch 3 way speakers. After installing, both the left side speakers aren't as loud. So I switched the left and right speakers to diagnose the problem. They worked fine on the right side. So the problem should be between the speaker and the amp, which above my pay grade. Anyone have any ideas on how to diagnose this problem?

Also, I'm surprised by the lack of info online about the 2001 MDX. I've run across a couple highly technical wiring diagrams but they're no help to a novice like me. And most of the links provided my members here were posted long enough ago that I can't access them. Anyone have some up to date info that a car audio rookie could use?

Thanks.
I suppose I should have thought of this first;. After switching the inputs on the amp, same problem. I tested it on the tuner and all speakers work. I play music and use Bluetooth from my phone using a cassette adapter. That's what it was. The god damn adapter.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did check that the volume imbalance happens with both aux input and tuner! I, too, have had input jacks malfunction. In this case, it has been a long-time issue that the driver's side speakers cut out and in when I go over bumps. Since it happens when I am driving, I was not able to tell previously if it affects both woofer and tweeters (yes), if they cut out completely (no) or just partially (yes, lower volume). Hard to imagine any wiring connection issue that would result in just attenuation of both speakers, so I'm going to look to see if the Pioneer receiver replacement has the SLC-4 thingamjig. New speakers sound great when they work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I read somewhere that it could be a polarity issue. I used wire harnesses so that didn't come up for me. Are yours hardwired or do you have harnesses?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts