Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me the maximum mounting depth of the front speakers. I know alot of us have replaced them. I have as well. I do not have the X at home with me and really need to know quick. Anyone who could help, I would be grateful.

·
Registered
738 Posts
slackass said:
Can anyone tell me the maximum mounting depth of the front speakers. I know alot of us have replaced them. I have as well. I do not have the X at home with me and really need to know quick. Anyone who could help, I would be grateful.
With no dispespect intended, why do you ask?
I don't believe there is a commercially available 6-1/2" midrange that could ever possibly exceed the depth available in an MDX door. If you had a speaker so deep that it didn't fit in the MDX, what vehicle could you possibly fit it in? The MDX is nearly as wide as the Suburban, less than an inch on each side.

The BA Pro 6.5 that I and a few others have used has a pretty big cast aluminum speaker basket, and its mounting depth is a hair under 2-1/2", but I remember there being enough room for an even deeper speaker, maybe another 1/4" or so before clearances get tight. If the speaker you are comtemplating is 2-1/2" or less, don't worry about it. If its 2-3/4" or more, it's too close to call, and only then would exact measurements have to be made - but I seriously doubt there are any 3" or 3-1/2" deep midranges out there.

What model and how deep is the speaker you are considering?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are few high end 6 1/2 components sets 3" or over. I have a pair of Image Dynamics that run just a 1/16 under 3". There are also some from Focal and Oz that I know of.

My wife made it home before I got any replies so I was able to measure. It will hold up to about 3 1/4" without a spacer and probably another 1/2 with a spacer. These doors are deep. If only my TL was like that. Thanks.

·
Registered
738 Posts
slackass said:
There are a few high end 6 1/2 components sets 3" or over.
That's what I'm trying to figure. Can you name two or three currently available on the market so I have credibility convincing someone else of the same? I haven't come across any that exceeded 3" last year in my hunt for 6-1/2 component sets (not 7" oversized) in the $500-$1,000 range (but also needs to be manuf. authorized to be sold in the U.S., no grey market) Wondering if I'm missing out on a source.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts