Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
04 MDX Touring has torn bottom seat leather and cusion. The driver side is worst than the passenger side. I tried covers from Costco but never fit right. I looked on ebay but not sure.
I found two seats from a 2010 mdx at a salvage an hour drive away. They're not the right color but I'm temped to try swaping the whole front seats, $180 /driver and $168/passenger with 168k miles on the car. Don't know the condition until I go there and look. Just looking for input from people that had any experience on fixing the torn seats.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Check with a local auto interior shop and you may be surprised how cost effective repairing the existing seats can be.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Search the forum. I recall some guys have used eBay sourced covers like the link.

We have a tan interior and first tried going to an upholstery matls shop but could not match the color close enough in leather so bought the factory bottom. Pricy at $500. Pretty straightforward to R&R. You might need a 1/2 of foam to build back any sag.

On a another car with the same issue but black seats, I was able to get half a hide on clearance for $75, then paid $35 for perforation, and had a shop replace/install the bottom pc and side pc for about $170 including foam. Had to check around - got referrals from the matls shop and prices varies quite a bit. Ended up at a hole in the wall place but excellent work.

If you don’t mind vinyl, you can probably get a good color match and get the whole thing done for $250.

If you buy the wrecker seats make sure the frame bolt pattern and seat adjustment connectors will match up. You might need to take your pass seat out and test fit the wrecker seat before you buy.

Good luck!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I saw that Saddle Tan ones which matches but it'll be $335+tax for both seats plus I would have to get the foams as well. Foam on the driver side probably needs to be replaced. My local Honda dealer who had cloth seats re-skinned with leather told me it cost them $2500 for the two seats. Spendy!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought both seat bottoms and backs from the folks in the ebay listing above. I had to call them about the backs because they are not listed anywhere. The set showed up in less than a week. Then I bought some 1" high density upholstery foam again off ebay. I used the foam to repair the seat foam - really only needed work on the drivers outer bottom and side bolsters. The quality of the covers was first rate and after lots of fiddling and fitting they fit and feel like factory new. If you haven't done any upholstery before it is a slow process but there are a lot of Youtube videos out there that are very helpful and it's not rocket science. There are a few secrets that are specific to each model like how to release the headrest and the hard seat backs, patience and Youtube will get you there. This is my third set after doing my F350 and Grand Cherokee.

I paid $700 total for the covers for both DS and PS and $25 for a roll of foam that I used maybe 10% of. The rest is hog rings and a good set of hog pliers that I already had. Spendy, yes but I couldn't find any junkyard seats that were in any better shape than the ones I already had. They are now ready for the next 200k miles (I hope).

Andy

·
Registered
465 Posts
On the sagging foam, I recall a post by habbyguy where he slit the bottom foam below the contoured surface and placed 1/2? or 1? inch foam to maintain the surface profile and get the extra puff. Nice post with pics. You might search for it.

I think my guy used 1/2 inch foam between the old bottom seat foam and new cover. I don’t know what density - an upholstery matls shop should be able to tell you if you decide to DIY. I believe he cut various pieces and spray glued them and maybe some hand contouring too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
habbyguy
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing