Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Front+Rear Parking Sensors Installation

9K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  elvisfan 
#1 ·
Just purchased 2017 Acura MDX w/ Technology Package. I will be installing the Acura Front+Rear Parking sensor package. I'm about to order the OEM package BUT I'm still looking for a cheaper alternative to the 16 mm hole punch needed to create the rear bumper holes. Acura want $71 for this too ($$). Does anyone have one for sale (or rent) or alternative method to create these holes. I'll professionally install and I'm not keen in drilling.

#5 ·
Thanks. I've already got all that information plus watched videos. I'm always pretty thorough whenever attempting car upgrades. I'm prepared. Should be a piece of cake ;>).

BTW: I'm also adding towing package at same time. Avoid taking bumpers of twice.

#7 ·
ATF Cooler, definitely. I've got a boat (and people, diving gear, fishing poles,...) and never know if/when I need the full 5000 lb capacity. Since I'll have the front bumper assembly off for the front parking sensors, might as well install the ATF cooler. I was also considering adding the Fog Lights too, but decided to hold off until I think I really need them.

#11 ·
My ultimate choice of going with a 2017 MDX w/ Tech package was based on availability, price range, options to upgrade, warranty remaining and color.

I really did considered the Advance but there was limited availability here in South Florida, or at least while I was in search mode. My 2002 died on me so I needed to consider something close (Uber'ng it!). Had it not, I would have increased my search range; may have found one then.

2017: because it was in my price range. I don't buy new; just habit of trying to make financially optimal car purchase. So, as long as I get one year on warranty, I'm fine with that. The longer Engine/Drivetrain warranty is most important to me. 2016's are out (or soon to be) of warranty plus they also had the ZF9 transmission issue; seen enough of that with my 1st model version. 2017's appear to have far fewer tranny issues.

I upgraded and fixed my 2002 until it died the past month. 18 year and 200K miles. It was a good car. But NOTHING like what's available in the latest MDX model.

I can upgrade my 2017 with any anything and it'll be typically better then what dealer can do. I'm a DIY'er.

Reactions: jefferson88
#13 ·
Why not just buy generic hole cutters? A 5/8" diameter (essentially 16mm) cutter is included in this kit for $14 delivered: 6 Pc Leather Vinyl Hollow Hole Punch Steel Set 3/8 7/16 1/2 9/16 5/8 3/4" 80119015362 | eBay Of course if you must have metric then pay a bit more: 5 Pcs Industrial Punch Leather Hole Belt bore Punches Tools ( Ø12 14 16 18 20mm) | eBay These are entire sets.

There are many generic parking sensors available for a lot less money. Also, if you are willing to spend hundreds of dollars then use that for a front camera, or even all-around cameras, instead.

#14 ·
OEM offers best option for me. 16mm (0.63") is slightly larger then 5/8" (0.625"), so I expect that it may not necessarily cut a large enough hole. Don't want to have to sand. Those hole punch's are not appropriate for a centered hole.

#15 ·
You are worried about a 0.005" difference? In the real world you will never notice the difference, but go ahead and pay nearly three times the price for a metric kit. But $71 for a single punch? That is absurd. If you want a center pilot then buy a pilot drill with 5/8" counterbore at your local hardware store (or possibly need to order). You may be overthinking this...

#19 ·
Are you also going to add the 360 camera system and heated rear seats? Financially it makes no sense. New,I could see not paying the extra 6k. Used,it makes no financial sense. I understand that you like DIY. It’s your money. You asked for help to save $71. We are showing how you could have saved thousands.

#20 ·
Why so persistent?? I've already purchased the car! I knew what I was getting. I asked a simple question. Not sure why your drilling your point to death. No need.

Reactions: DadLife
#21 ·
You're right. It's your dime. What WE think is irrelevant at this point, as you didn't ask for opinions before your purchase. Have a good time doing what you want to do, as I'm sure you'll find it rewarding. And an aside, the Tech and Advance use the same lousy, cheap, non-adjustable shock absorbers (I checked). Acura uses a very sohisticated-sounding name for these lousy socks (adaptive-reactive or something like that) but they surely were the result of a "lowest bidder" purchase plan, based of the lack of sophistication over rough roads. By going Tech instead of Advance you also avoid the controversial Auto Start-Stop system that I'm thinking shortens battery life somewhat (I'm on my SECOND replacement battery in 22k miles).

#22 ·
Too many simply dont read. I totally understand your choice. I was in the same situation. Second row buckets just dont work for me. Large dog takes the whole second row. Adding certain options just makes common sense if you feel you need/want them.
A step drill does make sense. Their cheap at places like Harbor Freight and do a good job. Remember this is a plastic part, so carefully decide how your going to punch the holes.

#23 ·
Lorenzo,

I did extensive research prior to purchase. The opinion (and prior info posted) from yourself and others did factor into my decision as I hit all the MDX'ers (and AcuraZine,..) forums/discussions and read it ALL. As Donn0128 noted, some don't read, but I did exhaustively. I didn't want to disrespect those that have already provided significant information by posting the same questions once again. It was just that you were offering advice after-the-fact (purchase).

Your are right in that Auto Start/Stop was not desirable. As you noted, impact on battery and all ancillary HW (starter, ....) were a concern. I believe AS/S is manufacturer's way of meeting NHTSA standards w/o truly understanding impact.

Donn0128 was right in that the Captains Chairs were also not desirable for my needs (although it was very compelling at first).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.