Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
My MDX 2015 AWD tech is having this grinding noise coming from the front side passenger when I start driving the car. I have posted the link below the video. Any input would help. It is out of warranty. Thank you.

https://youtu.be/amn3hPPnkpA

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
My first thought is that it's pad/rotor noise. How many miles are on the current brake pads?

It could be a bearing issue, something further in on the axle, or something else like some kind of debris.

If you're willing to do a bit of checking yourself - jack up the front end and rotate the wheel by hand to see if you can hear the noise and if you do you may be able to pinpoint whether it's the brakes or something else. You could then take the wheel off and inspect it further including seeing if the pads are worn down.

Make sure you use a jackstand before putting any body part underneath the jacked up vehicle - don't trust just the jack by itself.

·
Registered
729 Posts
That’s what my 2015 sounded like when my front passenger brake calipers slide pin seized and caused uneven wear and I was going metal to metal.

And you’re in a similar climate - lots of snow and rust.

Look at your rotor is it flat and smooth or do you see and feel groves? Don’t touch the rotor after a drive you have to let them them cool down

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the tips. Its super cold in Chicago so I will get the wheel off this week and keep you updated. Anyone else have any suggestion please post. I just got my rotor and pads done few weeks ago.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Thank you all for the tips. Its super cold in Chicago so I will get the wheel off this week and keep you updated. Anyone else have any suggestion please post. I just got my rotor and pads done few weeks ago.
It’s going to be colder than Antarctica in Chicago this week.

Who did your brakes? Maybe the spring or wear indicator came loose and is rubbing the rotor.

Are you sure it’s coming from the wheel?

What struck me as odd was the sound was only audiable when you picked up speed and it didn’t seem to get faster or slower with your acceleration leading to me think it may not be the wheel.

Is there any possibility it’s coming from your serpentine belt / pully as those are known to go bad. It’s on the passenger side near the wheel.

·
Registered
268 Posts
When I've had wheel bearings fail, the noise had a much deeper pitch. The sound was more like a groan or a propeller.

The front driver side wheel bearing had failed on my 2015. You didn't mention your mileage, but my repair was covered by the dealer under the 6 year / 70K mile powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally went to the local mechanic to get it checked. He fixed it. He said the brake cover was grinding on something and no worries. That resolved it. Now I have another issue. The rear is making a noise. My car is mdx 2015 and has 60k miles

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
The rear is making a noise. My car is mdx 2015 and has 60k miles
It's very hard to diagnose the cause of a noise from somewhere in half the vehicle on a forum like this. Take it back to that same mechanic and see if he can find the problem.

Maybe you'll get lucky and it's something else simple. Speaking of the rear end though - have you changed the differential fluid yet? It's past due if it's never been changed. It's a very easy DIY or it sb a fairly inexpensive thing for a mechanic to do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts