Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We picked up an exceedingly low mileage 2006 MDX last winter, but have discovered a few issues with it. The most pressing is that when you open the front passenger door from the inside, the door fails to latch when you close it. If you pull out the outside handle, you can hear a click and the door will then latch on closing. Whn opening it using the outside handle and closing it, there is never a latching problem. Whn latched and I pull the inside handle, I can feel/hear a little "scrunch" or scraping sound from the area near where the lock button is, maybe where the linkage from the inside handle connects to the latch mechanism.

Anyone else have this problem or know a solution?

Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If that's it, obviously someone has been inside the door before we bought it because I'm guessing it couldn't have slipped there accidentally and the previous owner wouldn't have put up with the problem. I guess it still means pulling the door panel for access to the fix. Fortunately, I printed a couple of good access methods from this forum.

Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Offhand, it sounds like the door lock rod is routed on the wrong side of the inner door handle rod. Should be an easy fix :)
Finally got around to opening it up. Doesn't seem to be a linkage problem but the actual latch itself. With the door open using inside handle, when I manually operate the latch by using a screwdriver to rotate the disc that swivels when hit by the part on the jam, it turns but doesn't click (or maybe preload is a better term). When I open it using the outside handle, it has a very positive locking into position action when I use the screwdriver to rotate the latch.

Any other thought outside an actual replacement? And suggestions for the replacement process? I'm already experienced now at removing the panel, but getting the latch part out looks a little more complex. I discovered that with my panel off, the window will not operate (to get it up out of the way for latch access, even when I re-plug the switch; is there an interlock somewhere? Once back together, the window worked perfectly. Maybe I just need to remove the panel with the window up?

We bought it used and didn't notice the problem at first (usually just the wife driving it), but it's obviously a pre-existing condition that someone messed with because the heads of the three phillips screws that secure it to the door are a bit stripped. I was lucky to have enough left to get the third one out.

Thanks

·
Registered
267 Posts
There is no 'interlock' when the panel is off.
I've taken the panel off many times and still operated the window like that.
Maybe you didn't reconnect the proper wires?

In regards to the door latch, if it is anything like a honda, it's 3 big screws and about 4 'points' where it connects with the inner door locks.
It should take about 30 mins to remove and replace.
Here is a link to a used one for $40
03 04 Acura MDX Right Side Door Lock Latch | eBay

1 - 6 of 6 Posts