Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the front lower grille and condenser on my 2015 MDX, and dealer quoted $750. $250 for parts and $500 for labor. I was able to get the parts online for $150 and i was wondering if it is easy to replace on your own with little effort or is it recommended to go to a dealer? Also, any videos or pictures that show how to replace the grille and condenser?
thank you in advance.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I need to replace the front lower grille and condenser on my 2015 MDX, and dealer quoted $750. $250 for parts and $500 for labor. I was able to get the parts online for $150 and i was wondering if it is easy to replace on your own with little effort or is it recommended to go to a dealer? Also, any videos or pictures that show how to replace the grille and condenser?
thank you in advance.

you can do this all yourself.

i mean if you were in a collision and there's no frame damage. you can do it yourself.

as for the condenser. is it badly damaged where it's cracked? i ask because if it is cracked, you would have lost virtually all of your refrigerant. anyway, you wouldnt have to worry about evacuating the refrigerant before replacing the parts A/C components. Just replace the A/C component (condenser) making sure every pipe fitting is snug. Lastly, you will need to bring it to get the A/C serviced so the mechanic can generate a vacuum to test for leaks and properly fill the car with refrigerant (R134a) and refrigerant oil.

oh yea. the front bumper will have to come out for you to be able to get to the condenser.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Manera for your response.

I have no clue how the grille broke and the condenser got damaged. I was not in any accident. Dealer suspects that a stone hit while driving, but i doubt that. I don't think the condenser is cracked, i think it's just bent.I will upload picture later when i get a chance. How can i check if i lost any refrigerant?

any manual/ instructions i can find on any site on how to replace condenser?

·
Registered
316 Posts
If the A/C is working, I would leave it. If you lost all of your Freon, then go ahead and change it out. If A/C is working, the system is pressurized and you will be releasing ozone damaging chemical in the air. Not that it would make a big difference.

·
Registered
391 Posts
If the A/C is working, I would leave it. If you lost all of your Freon, then go ahead and change it out. If A/C is working, the system is pressurized and you will be releasing ozone damaging chemical in the air. Not that it would make a big difference.
if any of the grills on the condenser are pinched. it is likely cracked. Now, the pinch could mean i tight seal but freon will slowly deplete.

turn on the A/C to see if it maintains coolness throughout the run. if it does, then you will need a mechanic to evacuate the freon for you before you remove the condenser. Or you could just wait for next summer to see if there's any freon. there's no worry for heat now (assuming you're somewhere other than the south) since we're going into the autumn/fall season. depends how urgent you need to replace it. If you replaced the front facia, then no one can tell if the condenser grills are damaged.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Thank you BPD and Manera for your inputs.

I have attached the pics.

I dont see any problems with AC, it maintains coolness through out my runs.
ok. so it's the lower grille and not the fascia (why'd i think it was that. i dont know).

anyway. it looks like itll hold up. i'd say leave it alone. save yourself on your own labor for now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts