Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that we're into the sloppy dirty street season here in Canada, I've noticed that a lot of the dirt/slop is leaking under the hood above the grill, past the wimpy weatherstrip and all over my engine. This would explain why my MDX engine was always dustier and dirtier than my other cars last summer, even though I cleaned it twice as much as the others.

Before I just go ahead and add some door weatherstrip under the hood, does anybody have comments or suggestions?

·
Registered
15 Posts
The '02 has the same cheap weatherstrip. After a 3 hr drive in slush & salt, my engine was filthy. How do you clean your engine compartment? After covering the obvious electrical parts, do you spray it down with water?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You won't like the answer, but..........

I wash all my cars' engine bays with the spray wand at the carwash C-A-R-E-F-U-L-L-Y, by spraying back from the engine compartment at least 2-3 feet quickly over everything and trying to not make any electrical "direct-hits". I've done this for over 10 years on at least 8 cars and I have never had an electrical problem. Just don't blast the crap out of the engine bay and keep your washing brief. I have a '91 Honda Accord that has an engine compartment that looks like new after 10 years as a result.

·
3,108 Posts
Chuck, do you do this while the engine is running?

·
Registered
587 Posts
I also wash my motors either at the car wash with a wand or at home with a brush and hose and I've never had a problem in probably 40 years.

I'm like the original poster and I've noticed that the motor in the MDX does get a lot dirtier a lot quicker than other cars/SUVs I've owned.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Chuck540Z3 said:
Now that we're into the sloppy dirty street season here in Canada, I've noticed that a lot of the dirt/slop is leaking under the hood above the grill, past the wimpy weatherstrip and all over my engine. This would explain why my MDX engine was always dustier and dirtier than my other cars last summer, even though I cleaned it twice as much as the others.

Before I just go ahead and add some door weatherstrip under the hood, does anybody have comments or suggestions?
I have a previous discussion on this subject below:

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=9235

1 - 6 of 6 Posts