Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on replacing the front driveshaft at the driver's side. It is a 2008 MDX Tech. The service manual suggests draining the transmission fluid. My question is if it is necessary? Did anyone try not to do it? If I choose to skip this step, how mess will it be?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I am planning on replacing the front driveshaft at the driver's side. It is a 2008 MDX Tech. The service manual suggests draining the transmission fluid. My question is if it is necessary? Did anyone try not to do it? If I choose to skip this step, how mess will it be?
definitely drain the transmission fluid first. Every transaxle that I've worked on uses the same fluid for the differential and the transmission, And the differential is often pulling double-duty as the fluid pump. So as soon as you pull the CV axle (it's not a driveshaft) out of the transmission, you'll lose most of your trans fluid anyway. better to plan ahead.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I plan to do it by myself.
definitely drain the transmission fluid first. Every transaxle that I've worked on uses the same fluid for the differential and the transmission, And the differential is often pulling double-duty as the fluid pump. So as soon as you pull the CV axle (it's not a driveshaft) out of the transmission, you'll lose most of your trans fluid anyway. better to plan ahead.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
No, you dont need it, If you are completely leveled (Both tires off the ground) there should be almost next to ZERO ATF Spillage when you remove the axle... I´ve done dozens of Honda V6s Axles and I haver never seen spill more than some drops, And yes I´ve replaced both of my 2G MDX Axles as well:

Reactions: K657

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, you dont need it, If you are completely leveled (Both tires off the ground) there should be almost next to ZERO ATF Spillage when you remove the axle... I´ve done dozens of Honda V6s Axles and I haver never seen spill more than some drops, And yes I´ve replaced both of my 2G MDX Axles as well:
This is good news for me. You mentioned completely leveled, is it for the front end only or the whole vehicle. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ive done axles on multiple cars before. It doesnt leak transmission fluid when you pop them out. Just make sure the new axle is seated in all the way and the clip ring is snapped into the transmission otherwise it will pop out when you drive and spill all its transmission fluid.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I did both of my front CV axels and I can tell you, you won't lose a drop of transmission fluid. And for the record the transmission and front differential DO NOT use the same fluid. The absolute perfect tool for popping the axles out is a mini nail pry bar, about 6-8" long, you'd swear it was made for the job. There's a flat end and a hooked end, slide the end of the hook inbetween the axle and the motor and it'll pop it out just like a cork.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts