Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any suggestions on what car seat covers to get for the front seats .
I am noticing that is transfer of cover from blue jeans to gray color leather

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the first I have seen seats getting stained like this , must be type of leather MDX uses .

Should I use any specific kind of leather cleaner.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Covers will make it worse. Even the original ones stain from what I've heard.
1. Yes, some of the first batches of the OEM accessory seat covers ended up staining the seats. Acura had acknowledged and corrected the flaw, and issued a TSB for replacement of both the seat covers and the leather seating surfaces. The repair was covered under warranty. I have the Acura seat covers on my second row. I've pulled them off for cleaning, and there is absolutely no evidence of them staining the leather surfaces.

2. Acura does not offer OEM accessory seat covers for the front row. My wife wanted seat covers for the front row, so I ordered a set for the MDX. I've also pulled them off to clean them, and again, no stains on the leather. I ordered mine from Coverking through the Costco website. Wet Okole is another popular brand with good reputation that makes custom fit seat covers. There are probably other brands out there, but I really haven't looked into them.

So I don't agree that covers for the front seats will make the staining issue worse; I think it'll actually help. However, you have to determine for yourself whether or not it's worth the money to get a set of covers vs. the time and effort of a periodic cleaning. You also have to decide how much you like the look and feel of the factory leather vs. the material of the covers. The companies that make seat covers should be able to send you samples of the materials if you want to know how they look and feel.

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
The number of companies that make quality seat covers has decreased greatly over the last decade. Seat covers need to be made with tear-away stitching to allow airbag deployment.

A lot of MDXers many years ago ordered covers from this place https://katzkin.com/

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah Acura doesn't make seat covers for the front seat .
Will check out the others you guys mentioned.

·
Registered
391 Posts
what about these guys... Buy Car Seat Cover | Buy Seat Towel | Buy Car Seat Cover Online

they dont completely cover the front seats---i mean front and back and around. they just cover what you lay on which allows the side airbags to deploy freely.

i also remember seeing them sold on Amazon (not sure if it was the same company) but, they were selling ones with the Acura company logo printed on them.

EDIT: Check out this one -- ebay

·
Registered
575 Posts
Cleaning alone is not an adequate solution. I wear faded blue jeans most days, and never encountered dye transfer until I got the MDX. It happened very quickly. I ordered several different high end leather cleaners but the results were mixed. It took a bit of effort the first time but it came clean. It became more difficult each time. I became concerned with slight damage from the cleaning to the leather material (really plastic-impregnated leather) so bought some CoverKing seat covers and found them effective if not as nice as the OEM leather. I bought the poly-cotton drill. They fit very well but are a bit light-weight and prone to wrinkle on the bottom. I got a color that was close to the leather (parchment) so if there is any dye transfer happening I can't see it. I will probably go with a better material in a year or so. I do recommend CoverKing; they have a large selection of fabrics/styles/colors that are cut to fit well (including openings for the air bags).

·
Registered
391 Posts
Cleaning alone is not an adequate solution. I wear faded blue jeans most days, and never encountered dye transfer until I got the MDX. It happened very quickly. I ordered several different high end leather cleaners but the results were mixed. It took a bit of effort the first time but it came clean. It became more difficult each time. I became concerned with slight damage from the cleaning to the leather material (really plastic-impregnated leather) so bought some CoverKing seat covers and found them effective if not as nice as the OEM leather. I bought the poly-cotton drill. They fit very well but are a bit light-weight and prone to wrinkle on the bottom. I got a color that was close to the leather (parchment) so if there is any dye transfer happening I can't see it. I will probably go with a better material in a year or so. I do recommend CoverKing; they have a large selection of fabrics/styles/colors that are cut to fit well (including openings for the air bags).

can you share the product link for the item you got?

·
Registered
575 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I use Leather Master products to maintain the leather in all of my vehicles. Has worked great so far. Use the Leather Master strong cleaner to clean and the protectant to protect. I do get dye transfer from jeans. However, a simply wipe with an interior quick detailer takes it off. If the strong cleaner is not strong enough, you can use an all purpose cleaner (like Meguaiars APC) and if really dirtly, a degreaser. The MDX leather is coated so it should be fine cleaning this way.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I used Leather Master "Leather Dye Transfer Cleaner" to get the dye off. While better than others it still took quite a bit of rubbing. I took the car to my detailer and he told me that the coating couldn't take a lot more. I think the problem was the rubbing; the cleaner itself wasn't that powerful. As I am thinking about it now the jeans weren't the main problem; it was the dye from a hand-made belt I wear. I probably should have thrown the belt away...

Also, CoverKing is introducing a new molded mesh material for their seat covers. It isn't available yet for the 3rd gen MDX but I expect that to change sooner rather than later. It looks great, and should breath well. So for those in hot climates it might be worth a look. https://www.coverking.com/seat-covers/custom-seat-covers/molded-custom-seat-covers-for-2016-acura-mdx-sh-awd.html

·
Registered
268 Posts
For anyone who's interested, here's a photo of the seat covers for the front right after I installed them. I went with Coverking's neosupreme material. I believe any of the wrinkles you see in the material got there when the covers were folded and boxed for shipping. Eventually the wrinkles work their way out, so there's no sign of them now.

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
Is neosupreme material more durable than cordura
I haven't seen the cordura material from Coverking. My guess is that the Cordura should be more durable, as it's been used in motorcycle riding apparel for preventing road rash in accidents. I'd also imagine that the neosupreme material would be more comfy at the expense of durability. Since my wife primarily drives the MDX, I went with the more comfortable option (along with other reasons).

If you're stuck mulling over which materials to consider, contact Coverking. They sent me a few samples of the fabrics in specific colors that they offer when I requested them.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I will be asking for samples before I order new covers as well. The neoprene looks really nice. As I wrote earlier, look at their table for comparisons.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Emmet how is the fit if these covers on the seat .
Are they tight fit or loose
This is a good question. I was going to suggest asking the same (but you already asked lol) because almost all the cordura covers look really boxy with ripples on edges and corners. But they are really durable when used for kids and pets. Then i realized he has neosupreme.

Oh but i guess Emmet already posted a picture lol

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts