Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Need some help to guide me in the right direction.

Last time I went for an oil change … my mechanic mentioned that my front axles are showing some damage and I should look into replacing them at some point. He said it wasn’t needed to be done right away but it’s something to keep in mind.

I have new front L/R shocks sitting that I ordered last year but never got around to having them installed.

So my questions are:

- If I just want to have them install the new shocks … anything wrong with that? lol. Is it going to cause them any “problems” working on the front shocks if the front axles are showing wear and tear?

- Totally LOST what are all the parts I would need to order A-Z for the front axles. Would greatly appreciate help with this.

Thank you all as always.

·
Registered
2018 MDX SH-AWD Tech package
940 Posts
By damage exactly what is he saying? CV boot damage. CV joint worn out? Typically everything can be repaired, but buying a rebuilt axle shaft assembly can be pretty cheap.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Curious to know how many miles you have on it

·
Registered
258 Posts
I don’t think it’s going to cause problems to do only the shocks / struts, however you may end up pa for the labor twice. I believe they’re going to pull the axle out of the hub for both jobs… or at a minimum will be “right there” already. I think it’d be silly not to do both at the same time. Also I’d recommend sticking to OEM axles despite their higher cost. They are built better and at least on the Pilot no one has found a reliable aftermarket alternative.

·
Registered
2018 Acura MDX SH-AWD Tech
158 Posts
I’d find out why you might need to replace the half shafts first.

One thing I’ve noticed (on both a ‘13 and a ‘18) is that the inner CV joint boot on the passenger side is subject to seeping. It seems this boot is different that the others (gray vs black, with a different style band). It can look “ugly” but the amount of seepage is just enough to make the gray boot black.

·
Registered
267 Posts
While replacing front shocks on my 2015 AWD, both axles had to be removed and they're b***h, I'm not going to do this again. Found the passenger side CV boot(gray color boot) was covered with grease, now it's making clicking noise every once in a while. It's time for have the half axle replaced shortly.

OEM axles are not that expensive, $235 for R, $223 for L plus shipping, I would go with OEM. Axles were more than twice expensive for 2006 TL.

·
Registered
2018 Acura MDX SH-AWD Tech
158 Posts
While replacing front shocks on my 2015 AWD, both axles had to be removed and they're b***h, I'm not going to do this again. Found the passenger side CV boot(gray color boot) was covered with grease, now it's making clicking noise every once in a while. It's time for have the half axle replaced shortly.

OEM axles are not that expensive, $235 for R, $223 for L plus shipping, I would go with OEM. Axles were more than twice expensive for 2006 TL.
Interesting that we’re finding the inner CV joint boot on the passenger side (the gray boot) to be seeping. Makes me think something is odd. Maybe as simple as the different band not being as “tight” as the other three CV joint boots. I suspect a different third part vendor provides that particular boot and bands to Acura.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Interesting that we’re finding the inner CV joint boot on the passenger side (the gray boot) to be seeping. Makes me think something is odd. Maybe as simple as the different band not being as “tight” as the other three CV joint boots. I suspect a different third part vendor provides that particular boot and bands to Acura.
I have been chasing an intermittent click/clunk (during slow speed turns) with my own 2015 MDX, I noticed today that the inner passengers side CV joint (the one with the gray colored boot) had some sideways play in it.

It was also covered in what I had assumed was simply some oil spill from the nearby oil filter .... it seems that I was wrong about that. The boot itself must have actually been leaking the CV joint lubricant leading to it's premature failure!

Sounds like this is a problem with these particular cars so I'm bumping this thread to help out others.

Really should be a Honda/Acura warranty issue IMHO - based on these posts here there's obviously a defect that these gray boots leak lubricant. There is no damage whatsoever to the boot.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have been chasing an intermittent click/clunk (during slow speed turns) with my own 2015 MDX, I noticed today that the inner passengers side CV joint (the one with the gray colored boot) had some sideways play in it.

It was also covered in what I had assumed was simply some oil spill from the nearby oil filter .... it seems that I was wrong about that. The boot itself must have actually been leaking the CV joint lubricant leading to it's premature failure!

Sounds like this is a problem with these particular cars so I'm bumping this thread to help out others.

Really should be a Honda/Acura warranty issue IMHO - based on these posts here there's obviously a defect that these gray boots leak lubricant. There is no damage whatsoever to the boot.
Even new they’re kind of greasy. Im not sure that it is a huge indication of a problem by itself. With that said it’s certainly not the most solid of design. I’m not sure why they use that grey boot there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Even new they’re kind of greasy. Im not sure that it is a huge indication of a problem by itself. With that said it’s certainly not the most solid of design. I’m not sure why they use that grey boot there.
My guess is that it's possibly a different type of rubber compound (silicone?) perhaps for heat reasons (nearer the exhaust pipe?). But that's still no excuse for it leaking out the lubricant.

·
Registered
147 Posts
another data pt. they replaced the R joint on my 2016 at 50k miles. My 2020 at just 30k miles and it looks very oily too. it doesn't look like they know about this design flaw.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts