Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 2002 MDX Touring and Nav, Habasu Blue. I had the dealer install the front air deflector and it makes alot of nose. Is thier anything I can do to fix this problem?

P.S. Great site!!!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I bought my front air deflector from Tim, but it makes no noise at all. I think it is a different manufacturer than the Acura ones, but I would not expect it to make any noise either.
I would suggest that you make sure it is securely fastened from under the hood and the "wings" are also properly fastened. The one I bought from Tim also came with two pads that stick to the hood for additional cushioning.
If it is securely fastened at all spots, and continues to make noise, I would return it to the dealer and buy the Form Fit one from Tim.

·
Registered
79 Posts
From what I understand from previous posts, the Acura deflectors are inherently noisy. I also have the deflector from Tim and it is noise-free. You probably need to return yours and get the one that Tim has.

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
If its new take it back and return it. The noise is common on the OEM deflectors. Do a search on OEM airdeflectors. They were so bad Tim removed them from his website and went with a aftermarket, which all of us who opted to get a deflector got. BTW the one Tim carries is called Form Fit it is a nice smoke color as opposed to the ugly dark green the OEM is.

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
dbl post delete.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Our local Acura dealer's MDX they had for test driving had the deflector, and yes, it WAS noisy. The worst part about that is it wasn't always easy to tell it was the deflector, so anyone test-driving could blame the noise on the vehicle itself, which we all know is not the case, and this may negatively influence the potential purchaser's decision.

Oh well, my X didn't come from there anyway, so I won't lose any sleep.

·
Registered
285 Posts
an off-topic question

how about the OEM moon roof visor? anyone got an aftermarket version and compared it the OEM one? we got ours from the dealer...

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Re: an off-topic question

jj_mdx said:
how about the OEM moon roof visor? anyone got an aftermarket version and compared it the OEM one? we got ours from the dealer...
I never really liked the idea of aftermarket sunroofs. I heard nothing but problems with them. Either leaking water, noisey, or constantly breaking. I would definetly get factory installed or pass on it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hi, Paul-

i was acturally wondering about the OEM moon roof visor, not the moon roof itself... since people are complaining about the OEM air deflector, i'm curious about whether the same is true for the moon roof visor (noise level)....

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
jj_mdx said:
Hi, Paul-

i was acturally wondering about the OEM moon roof visor, not the moon roof itself... since people are complaining about the OEM air deflector, i'm curious about whether the same is true for the moon roof visor (noise level)....
The visor I would stick with acura. I bet it will quiet down the air noise when driving. I personally don't like because when you wax it's a pain to get the area around the visor. The black plastic strip which goes around the visor must be constantly be treated with a conditioner because it dries up and cracks. My wife has one on our 2000 Maxima SE and the plastic has dried up so much it looks terrible and a pain in neck when waxing to get the entire area around the visor. The wind noise is much quieter with the visor, and also it directs the air upward away from the roof. I find without the visor on the MDX the wind actually goes in between the roofs and makes the noise worse. If driving at high speed with sunroof open put your hand on the roof and you can feel air going in, makes for louder noise. I'm still undecided on whether or not to put one on, if I do I will have to remove and install every time I apply zaino. Not sure if it's worth it. I tend to just tilt the sunroof when cruising at high speeds. Open full when cruising slow.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE

I went to remove the air deflector and it looks like the dealer used double sided tape on the hood mounts. how do I take this off with out chipping the paint?:confused:

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
How old is the car is it still relativley new? Tell them of the situation and how you want it removed. Or if its too long , or the dealer wont help ( he better) wait for a hot day to soften up the adhesive then try to remove it carfully. You can also use a hair dryer to heat it up in the same fashion. Then use WD-40 to remove any adhesive left behind wash it with dishwashin liquid then WAX WAX WAX. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts