Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to get rid of my 2007 and get a 2017 AWD Tech Package. Its the first year they have tail pipe cutouts instead of tucking them in like a mini van. Anything I need to be aware of besides the dislike of the 9 AT Transmission low end technology as far Navi and phone integration? It will be better than what I have now.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Unless you have 180k plus miles on your 07, I cannot imagine why 17 is more desirable than 07. That 9AT is an expensive ticking timing bomb.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
The +18 MDXs added Carplay and updated the graphics/fuctions of the center stack touch screen. Seems like the majority of the +18 owners said the 9AT is much more improved over the 16-17 MDXs versions.

Unless lack of availability or you need towing, the MDX hybrid in tech and Adv versions came out in 17. Extremely smooth 7DCT with lots of low/mid-range tq with electric motors. The 17 Hybrids don't have carplay (carplay added to all MDXs after 2018). I added a spare tire kit and hitch+harness for a 4 bike rack to my hybrid.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Do the 2017 MDXes have a push button gear shifter or the traditional shift lever?

I have not looked at a 2017, but I know that my 2019 Passport has a push button shifter and if it won't start and can not be jump started there is a special tranny lock release $275 (07aaa-tz3a100) tool that is need to lock it into neutral, so it can be towed.
Then it should not be started until the lock release tool is removed and the tranny is allowed to "spring" back in to park.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
The push button selector started with the +16 MDXs. You can only get the shift lever with the 6AT in the 14-15 MDXs. The Acura sh-awd vehicles should towed by flatbed (not sure about fwd MDXs). The new Passport, Pilots, and Ridgelines are suppose to have the same sh-awd system as the Acura SUV. The Honda version have different programming for more "U" than "S" in SUV. I might have to check into the tranny lock release if I'm ever without power and the trans is locked. Don't know if it would work for my 7DCT in my RLX or MDX?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Technology and Safety wise it will be a big jump and I think you will like it. The seats are not as comfortable as they were in 2G. Or maybe thats only with A Spec.

You are already aware of 9 spd. Unless its a steal deal I would suggest to go for an 18 due to improved Headunit and 9 spd.

·
Registered
576 Posts
My next MDX, if I don't switch to something else, will be a 2015 to avoid the 9 spd. IMO that is the sweet spot at the moment and there are some nice low mile examples out there to be had.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
My next MDX, if I don't switch to something else, will be a 2015 to avoid the 9 spd. IMO that is the sweet spot at the moment and there are some nice low mile examples out there to be had.
I was looking for a 15 MDX Adv in fathom blue pearl for the same reason of having the 6AT and Acurawatch. The only one I could find in the months I was looking was +11 hours away in Utah. I found out it didn't have a clear title before I made the trip up there from ABQ, NM. Ended up with a 19 MDX hybrid in Fathom Blue Pearl; but, I would be driving the 15 MDX Adv if it had a clear title.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I was looking for a 15 MDX Adv in fathom blue pearl for the same reason of having the 6AT and Acurawatch. The only one I could find in the months I was looking was +11 hours away in Utah. I found out it didn't have a clear title before I made the trip up there from ABQ, NM. Ended up with a 19 MDX hybrid in Fathom Blue Pearl; but, I would be driving the 15 MDX Adv if it had a clear title.
When your 19 hybrid goes into 3 cylinder mode, can you tell? If you can, how often is the 3 cylinder mode activated?

I was surprised that the 3.0 V6 in hybrid has VCM, which seems unnecessary given the existence of the hybrid system.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unless you have 180k plus miles on your 07, I cannot imagine why 17 is more desirable than 07. That 9AT is an expensive ticking timing bomb.

205k miles, I have to replace up to 2qts of oil between oil changes, but no visible leaks, needs struts soon, small radiator leak where the transmission fluild goes into the radiator. I bought it at 99k miles. Price range is keeping me out of the 2018 for now and so is the hybrid model which is very rare used. Carplay would be sweet but not required. I thought the tranny was improved over the 2016 model.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I am surprised you have to add that much engine oil between changes. In that event, like said above, get a 2015 then. Or, get a Highlander with 6 speed AT.

·
Registered
61 Posts
nd
When your 19 hybrid goes into 3 cylinder mode, can you tell? If you can, how often is the 3 cylinder mode activated?

I was surprised that the 3.0 V6 in hybrid has VCM, which seems unnecessary given the existence of the hybrid system.
I've never noticed when our hybrid goes between 3 and 6 cylinders. Is it necessary on the hybrid? No, nor is it "necessary" on the non hybrid. The reason it is done is to improve thermal efficiency of the motor which reduces fuel consumption. When it goes to 3 cylinders, your only heating 3 cylinders during combustion, thus reducing thermal loss, and more than likely increasing throttle opening which reduces pumping losses. Both help fuel mileage. Thermal efficiency of a otto cycle gas engine is actually pretty poor, even the theoretical max efficiency is poor. But a lot of actual effiency is related to thermal losses and the fact the engine is normally throttled, basically sucking through a small straw at low throttle openings. On the hybrid Acura kept an otto cycle engine rather than going to an atkinson cycle engine like toyota and some others do. Don't know why but actually glad they did, kept the low end torque advantage of an otto cycle engine. The atkinson cycle engines are more thermally efficient than the otto cycle but the downside is very poor low end torque. Couple that with an electric motor to make up the difference and it can be a big mileage improvement.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
In 3 cylinder mode, the 3 cylinders that got shut down do not generate any energy and they actually just some energy. It makes sense in a non-hybrid version. But in a hybrid car, the car can run either in 6 cylinder or 0 cylinder mode. I can not think of a reason to justify 3 cylinder mode for the purpose of efficiency.

·
Registered
61 Posts
In 3 cylinder mode, the 3 cylinders that got shut down do not generate any energy and they actually just some energy. It makes sense in a non-hybrid version. But in a hybrid car, the car can run either in 6 cylinder or 0 cylinder mode. I can not think of a reason to justify 3 cylinder mode for the purpose of efficiency.
if it improves economy in a non hybrid, it will do the same in a hybrid. And when you need more power than the battery can provide, or the battery is discharged, running on 3 cylinders under low load is most efficient to propel the car and charge the battery with the lowest fuel consumption. In fact, a hybrid can probably use the 3 cylinder mode for efficiency more than a non hybrid can.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I have +13,000 miles on my 19 hybrid with about 8000 miles with road trips of 11-12 hours each way (avg 70-80 mph hwy speeds) I haven't noticed or felt the 3.0L going into VCM 3 cylinder mode at all. I didn't know about hybrid VCM until someone mentioned it on another forum about the 3.5L and 3.0L both having VCM a few months ago.

There has been times on downhill runs at hwy speeds and the engine and electric motor are off according to the power distribution monitor. The only thing I can think of is the electric motors are supplementing and adjusting power between 3 and 6 cylinder modes seamlessly. I have to watch for it; but, VCM engagement seems to be invisible to me on the hybrid.

Another possibility is Acura has the wrong information on its website and manuals again about the hybrid having VCM. I don't know how you would check other than the manual?

·
Registered
669 Posts
The push button selector started with the +16 MDXs. You can only get the shift lever with the 6AT in the 14-15 MDXs. The Acura sh-awd vehicles should towed by flatbed (not sure about fwd MDXs). The new Passport, Pilots, and Ridgelines are suppose to have the same sh-awd system as the Acura SUV. The Honda version have different programming for more "U" than "S" in SUV. I might have to check into the tranny lock release if I'm ever without power and the trans is locked. Don't know if it would work for my 7DCT in my RLX or MDX?
The Lock release tool is only needed on zf9 speed tranmissions with push button shifting, if and when they won't start and need a tow.
Use the tool to lock it in to neutral, allow it to be rolled on to a flat bed truck, and roll it off at the shop.
If you know and you have the tool, it's no problem. Most don't know and no tow companies know anything...they just force it up their ramp.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have +13,000 miles on my 19 hybrid with about 8000 miles with road trips of 11-12 hours each way (avg 70-80 mph hwy speeds) I haven't noticed or felt the 3.0L going into VCM 3 cylinder mode at all. I didn't know about hybrid VCM until someone mentioned it on another forum about the 3.5L and 3.0L both having VCM a few months ago.

There has been times on downhill runs at hwy speeds and the engine and electric motor are off according to the power distribution monitor. The only thing I can think of is the electric motors are supplementing and adjusting power between 3 and 6 cylinder modes seamlessly. I have to watch for it; but, VCM engagement seems to be invisible to me on the hybrid.

Another possibility is Acura has the wrong information on its website and manuals again about the hybrid having VCM. I don't know how you would check other than the manual?
r
I'll have to agree with you on not ever having noticed the engine going into VCM mode. IMHO acura has done an excellent job on the sport hybrid. I've driven and ridden in other cars with variable cylinder management, and/or hybrid operation, and/or start stop technology. I have yet to be in one that is as seamless as the MDX.

Some others feel like a cement mixer for stop start, others give a big jerk going into/out of electric mode or engaging the gas engine or going into VCM. Or focus on max economy rather than a balance between economy and performance. IMHO acura could have had the electric motors engage and provide more motivation before going to gas mode, but at the expense of performance. For us, the balance is great and the implementation is fantastic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 17 Tech and overall I really like it.
Purchased used with 29K miles last year, currently has 45K.
Tranny was a little harsh at first, but once it learned ‘my style’, it’s been very smooth. I cannot tell when it goes into VCM .... it’s that smooth.
Had issues with the Navi getting lost around my neighborhood (live in a remote area), but is very accurate outside of it. No problem on longer trips. Dealer replaced everything but still gets lost in my neighborhood. Got a settlement from AHM.
Much quieter and comfortable than anything I’ve own and no doubt you’re 07. Seats are great.
Getting 26-29 mpg hwy consistently.... avg 27.5 .... around my neighborhood .. 22-23.
Good power and handles well.
Drove a 19 MDX and RDX when mine was in getting the Navi replaced and I could not tell a noticeable difference between my 17 and the 19 MDX. The RDX was not as smooth overall and a bit louder going down the road. The tranny was very smooth and the dash layout and tech features more updated. It’s more of a fun car to drive, but the MDX smoother and quieter overall.
Good luck with your decision.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts