Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 MDX (AWD Tech) that is coming up on 3 years of ownership. I like most things about it, style, handling etc. but I'm thinking it might be a good time to trade for something else before the more expensive maintenance items start kicking in due to it's age (more than just oil changes, tires etc.). Like others, the thing I dislike most is the NAV/integrated technology package, and as I've mentioned before, I would really like a vehicle that integrates Apple Car Play (disappointing that the 2017 MDX still doesn't have this). Otherwise, I really like this vehicle.

Just throwing this out there to see what others with similar aged MDX's are thinking: keep it for many more years, trade for 2017 MDX, or go to something totally different like a Q7?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Why don't more people consider The rx350? I think if you need three rows and have the cash the q7 S line is sweet

I don't know if I would get another Acura that was not that much different and has known issues

The Benz gle350 is ok, but not three rows

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
A 3 year old vehicle is like a new vehicle only without the steepest part of the depreciation curve. I have an early 2014 (purchased July 2013) that has around 30K miles on it and it still feels and acts like a brand new vehicle. A 3 y/o 30K mile vehicle is normally 'not' at the point where costly maintenance items start to appear. There's still another year left on the factory bumper to bumper warranty and even more time on the warranty for the most expensive parts - the power train. My expectation is that this vehicle should be able to go above the 100K mile mark with little in the way of service costs. I cetainly wouldn't consider getting rid of it because of fears of service costs.

The above is especially true since buying a new vehicle every 2-3 years is by far the most expensive way to own a vehicle. Just driving a new car off the lot will cost more in depreciation than would likely be spent servicing a car in the first 100K miles. From an economic sense getting rid of your 3 y/o for a new vehicle is a losing proposition.

I certainly wouldn't take the loss on flipping a vehicle this new for something with a somewhat better Nav, which I categorize way on the 'less important' end of the spectrum for me.

Some (many) people waste significant portions of their incomes in churning cars and many of them can't reasonably even afford to - others can and that's where they apparently want to spend their money but I'm not sure they always do the math to understand just how much that slightly better Nav that they'll use 5% of the time they're driving actually costs them - ditto with the other attributes they're buying into.

There's nothing significantly better about a Q7 or a 2017 MDX over what you have now and that most likely would include reliability and overall cost/value.

As for me - I plan to keep driving my 2014 for a number more years before even considering replacing it with another vehicle.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have a 2014 MDX (AWD Tech) that is coming up on 3 years of ownership. I like most things about it, style, handling etc. but I'm thinking it might be a good time to trade for something else before the more expensive maintenance items start kicking in due to it's age (more than just oil changes, tires etc.). Like others, the thing I dislike most is the NAV/integrated technology package, and as I've mentioned before, I would really like a vehicle that integrates Apple Car Play (disappointing that the 2017 MDX still doesn't have this). Otherwise, I really like this vehicle.

Just throwing this out there to see what others with similar aged MDX's are thinking: keep it for many more years, trade for 2017 MDX, or go to something totally different like a Q7?
navtool is closest thing you can get to carplay, I have carplay in my Cadillac xts, honestly no google maps no waze no nothing - it is 100% useless.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
navtool is closest thing you can get to carplay, I have carplay in my Cadillac xts, honestly no google maps no waze no nothing - it is 100% useless.
Thanks for the suggestion, what is the quality like? For Navigation, I use Waze on my iPhone almost 100% instead of the MDX Nav system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts