Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 MDX tech/entertainment and have been itching to get a new tech entertainment 2018 for $51k or I can get a previous loaner, advance entertainment 2018 for the same price with 6k miles on it.

I owe $18k on my MDX and think I'll get $25k for it walking away with $7k equity.

Which would you do:
1. Wait until 2020 models come out, but my car will depreciate even more

2. Just keep the 2015 mdx due to it's great 6 speed and not the ZF9

3. Get the 2019, if so why?

4. 2018 new tech/ent or used advanced/ent

·
Registered
349 Posts
If you can find a color combination you want, go for it. 18s are getting scarse, so you might end up with a 19. In August I was looking for a certain combination. Found several, I assume loaners in Reno. The problem, I could get a brand new one semi locally for less money. And they gave me a fair trade in allowance. So it was a no brainer which way to go. The only differences I can see between 18s and 19s is the 19 is 500 dollars more money.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
If I NEEDED a new vehicle, then I'd buy the 2019. For example, if my 2017 was stolen/totaled. However, it does NOT make fiscal sense to trade-in a working 3rd gen MDX for another 3rd gen. I would absolutely wait for the 4th gen.

But my reasoning is not because of the transmission. Honestly the 9 speed is fine. It's not the best transmission ever, but it's far from the worst and the amount of hate people give it is unwarranted, imo.

The biggest issue is that, although there are some "extras" in the 2019, it's not sufficiently different from your 2015 to be worth taking a bath, financially, imo. You say you've got $7k equity, but that's how the dealers want you to think -- it's not an accurate representation of the entire situation. How much have you put into the vehicle between down payment and monthly payments? If you trade in, you're locking in those costs over the limited time period. On top of that, you're "starting over" with a high vehicle price and payments. Buying vehicles only beats out leasing if you KEEP The vehicle. Once you've paid it off, think about how great it'll be to not have a monthly payment. I bet most people who perpetually trade-in their vehicles would behave differently if they felt what life was like without monthly payments. You'd actually fight to KEEP your older vehicle, as instead of paying Acura $600-1000 a month, you're paying yourself that money!

I would go "new" Advanced and skip the entertainment, personally. I think a new vehicle trumps used, almost every time. I'd rather have the peace of mind. And a loaner is the same as a rental -- and I would NEVER buy a rental. Also, entertainment is a waste of money, imo. Buy your kids an iPad or Kindle Fire and you'll get a better entertainment system, for less money.

There have been some posts, recently, where people have criticized Advance owners for paying more money without getting much value in return...
I was actually at the Acura dealer, yesterday, and sat in a Tech to compare against my (older) Advance. I can now confidently and wholeheartedly disagree with those sentiments. The Advance is considerably nicer inside. It's amazing how a few differences in real wood vs plastic, some extra features, nicer leather, etc, really make the vehicle feel premium. I am glad I bought the Advance. Given the opportunity to do it over again, I would stick with the Advance. If Acura hadn't made the Advance and the Tech was their top trim, then I probably would have bought a different vehicle.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a 2014 Acura MDX. I too will be upgrading it. Right now, I do not see any substantial improvement in the current MDX other than a surround camera and a different gear selector. I will thus wait for the next model which has some technological improvements. It could well be the 2020 model. At the same time, my wife has a 2017 Lexus RX 350. If Lexus introduces Car Play and improves its lousy lane keeping assist, I would opt for a Lexus over the MDX. Both are good vehicles, but I am not happy with the luxury feel, sound etc., of the Acura MDX.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
It’s never fiscally sound to buy a new car. However,that has never stopped me before. It shouldn’t stop you if you feel you can afford it. Personally,I’d wait one more year. I like to have the latest design. 2020 should be new. When the 2020 comes out,you can decide if you like it. If not,you can get a good price on a 19. If you choose to buy now,I’d buy the advance. 6,000 miles is nothing. And the advance is great. Especially if you aren’t paying extra for it. Perhaps they will throw in an extended warranty to take care of the whole rental thing. The in service date is important. Because you may lose a year on the 4 yr warranty on the loaner.
Bottom line,of course it’s not fiscally sound to buy a new car. But if you can do it,why not.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 2015 MDX tech/entertainment and have been itching to get a new tech entertainment 2018 for $51k or I can get a previous loaner, advance entertainment 2018 for the same price with 6k miles on it.

I owe $18k on my MDX and think I'll get $25k for it walking away with $7k equity.

Which would you do:

Putting aside the fiscal/need/want discussion for a minute, there is another scenario you may want to consider that is missing from your list.

You might want to consider the Sport Hybrid as well. It handles/drives, well, a little sportier and the transmission is a 7 speed, eliminating any concerns you might have about the 9 speed.

The combination of the extra 31HP with the 3 electric motors, damper system and torque vectoring, IMO, provides a noticeable improvement in the driving experience. I always felt the MDX drove in a very car-like handling mode, but the new one is that much better. I smile every time I drive it.

You get a little better mileage, but that may not be the main incentive for you. The 2019s are just hitting the lots. I traded a perfectly good 2014 MDX with low mileage this month after scoring a great deal on a 2018 Sport Hybrid Tech. The 2017 and 2018 model year saw Acura produce only about 2,000 Sport Hybrids each year and most of them were Advance models. They also seem to disappear from lots rather quickly.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
The 2017 and 2018 model year saw Acura produce only about 2,000 Sport Hybrids each year and most of them were Advance models. They also seem to disappear from lots rather quickly.
My local dealer was begging me to trade in on a 2018 Sport Hybrid Tech that they've had sitting on their lot for a while. So I don't think they're moving as well in all areas.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I'll reply from a practical and sensible fiscal perspective since I don't have any idea of your financial resources or the mileage or condition of your current vehicle but the fact that you didn't pay cash for the 2015 in the first place implies that there's at least some financial burden to you to buying a vehicle this expensive (and yes, I know Elvis thinks one should finance vehicles as much as possible - I'm the opposite and think one should pay cash). You've asked this question before so you likely know how I'll respond but I'll go ahead and restate my response -

I think "Just keep the 2015 mdx " is the sensible option. The 2015 is practically a new vehicle already and buying a later model isn't significantly different than what you already have at substantially less cost. The depreciation, both the rate and the dollars, on your 2015 will be less than the depreciation on any newer model so any justification based on a depreciation argument is out the window.

have been itching to get a new tech entertainment
You didn't state why you're itching for this. Are there particular features you're itching for that you don't currently have? If so you should quantify them and calculate how much those features will really end up costing you. For example, is it really worth many thousands of dollars to you to buy a unit with Carplay? I'll give you my answer - I think it'd be worth maybe $50-100 but not more than that (to me). Maybe you want a different color. If so quantify it - is it really worth many thousands of dollars to switch from one shade of gray to a slightly different shade of gray (or whatever color)?

If you're looking for a financially sensible answer it's going to be to keep what you have. If you decided to forget about sensibility and simply scratch your emotional itch then there's no reply here that'll be accurate - just go get what emotionally feels nice to you at the time regardless of the cost.

btw - I have a 2014 MDX purchased in July, 2013, so it's over 5 years old now, and it works perfectly fine and I have no desire to get rid of it only to replace it with another one that's almost the same thing.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
(and yes, I know Elvis thinks one should finance vehicles as much as possible - I'm the opposite and think one should pay cash). You've asked this question before so you likely know how I'll respond but I'll go ahead and restate my response -

Let me clarify. As long as interest rates are low,to me it makes more sense to finance then to take assets that could earn more. For example,if you had financed $40,000 at 2%. Assuming a good price. And kept that $40,000 in the market. 4 years later It’s not rocket science to see which would have been better. Of course past performance is no guarantee of future performance. That 40k could easily be 50k or more and you would have paid $1,000 in interest. Even if you had paid cash and market went down. Your 40k would still be worth less. No brainer to me.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The reason I want a newer one because the diamond grill is growing on me and I want the features like lane keep assist and brake hold.

When you mention that my car will depreciate but not as fast as a new one I disagree. Next year my car will probably lose an additional $4k in value while a left over 2018/2019 will not take that kind of hit off prices currently which is 1-2k off of msrp. As far as not paying cash, I don't know many that would pay cash for a car, do I have the means to, yes. Would I? No. I rather have cash in the bank and owe than the other way around.

I'm trying to see if there is anyone who made the jump and was it worth it? I need the RES as having an ipad is different and can't control when kids are pushing the home button or other things.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
When you mention that my car will depreciate but not as fast as a new one I disagree. Next year my car will probably lose an additional $4k in value while a left over 2018/2019 will not take that kind of hit off prices currently which is 1-2k off of msrp.
It's almost always the case that a newer vehicle will depreciate faster than an older vehicle with a brand new vehicle being the worst depreciation followed by a 1 y/o then a 2 y/o, then a 3 y/o, etc. Eventually a vehicle hits a point where there's almost no depreciation - ex: once it hits a value of $1K or less. This is almost universally true so if you think otherwise you should check your math. Don't forget - the starting point for the calculation of depreciation going forward for your 2015 MDX is today - it has nothing at all to do with whatever your initial deal on it was. Your 2015 is almost certainly going to depreciate less going forward than a 2017, 2018, 2019, etc. The only time this isn't a case is with a special vehicle, like an old desirable classic (which I have some of), in which case they can turn around and actually appreciate.

I'll forego the argument of paying cash for a vehicle versus leveraging it, i.e. essentially borrowing money on a car to invest in the stock market or elsewhere. Sometimes that can work out, and sometimes it doesn't. A lot of people have found themselves in a major bind by doing so when either the economy changes or their income model changes. But regardless, it's obviously your choice.

You ask 'worth it'. It's clearly not worth it from a financial sense so all you're left with is an emotional sense - i.e. what the attributes, etc. of the replacement vehicle are worth to 'you' so it's really not going to be that helpful asking your question here. No doubt some people think the change is worth it to them, ex: a couple of posters getting the later hybrid to replace their older 3rd gen MDX, and others won't think it's worth it since they might not place such a high value ( to offset the cost to determine 'worth it') since the differences aren't valued so highly by them.

To quantify it - just how much do you think a change in style of a grill is worth to you? To me it's worth $0 but maybe you think it's worth thousands of $. You mentioned another couple of items you want - so if your math to do the cost makes it worth it to you then that's your answer regardless of what anyone here says.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Its the OPs money. If he wants and can aford the deal I say do it! The 18/19 has some features his wont have. Are they enough to justify trading? Not likely. Buying vehicles has nothing to do whth that. Its all about desire. It is what it is. Our society has turned us all into me,me,me robots. If we really were that smart we would all be driving a Yugo. Afterall a Yugo will get us from point A to point B the same as a Rolls Royce. Just not as comfortably.
But who am I to talk. When I was younger and foolish I traded vehicles,every couple of years, just because I wanted something different. My last two vehicles, a Suzuki GeeVee we kept 11 years and sold it to granddaughter. Our truck was also 11 years old when we traded it on the MDX. Unless something serious happens this will be my last vehicle.
Knowing what I know now, I certainally would no again what I did in my youth. I would have kept my 1967 Baracuda, and bought used cars from then on. Could have saved thousands of dollars.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I don’t know where OP gets his info. As Stang says, once you buy that 18 or 19,trade in value will dive. You may be able to get closer if you sell outright but not trade in. Example,full boat Advance. List 60k. Price 51k. OP’s price. A year later you’d be lucky to get 40k. The reason is the dealer may have a leftover new 18. If they ever sell it,they are going to take a loss. You bring in an 18 on trade,they are going to try to make that up.
An older car always depreciates less.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I would have kept my 1967 Baracuda, and bought used cars from then on.
Even better - you should have swapped that 67 for a 70-74 Barracuda, convertible of course, kept it in great condition, and then you'd really have a great investment as you sit back and just watch it appreciate like crazy.

If only we could have foresight that's as accurate as hindsight.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Yea, a new vehicle depreciates faster... That's common knowledge. I don't know why anyone would argue to the contrary.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Naw. It was my first new car, fresh out of VietNam.
High pro 283 cube 4 speed solid lifters, light green exterior gold interior. That car was FAST. It could give a Corvette a run for its money. Would love to have it back. But 50 years too late.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Which would you do:

No major difference in 18/19 i'd wait for 20 and save money to put down knowing car will depreciate. working for Acura, its extremely rare people trade in tech/ent. They tend to keep them until wheels fall off. I only like Adv for cooled seats (had it in my lincoln) and front and back sensors.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just don't expect any deals on 2020 when the refresh it. 19 i think now just has loyalty or conquest. no dealer cash .

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No major difference in 18/19 i'd wait for 20 and save money to put down knowing car will depreciate. working for Acura, its extremely rare people trade in tech/ent. They tend to keep them until wheels fall off. I only like Adv for cooled seats (had it in my lincoln) and front and back sensors.

Thanks for the response.

I have a hard time finding advance/ent or tech/ent around here. I thought about the new 2019 Pilot but can't do it. Since you work for Acura, any issues with the ZF-9 transmission?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts