Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks!

Just a quick reminder to check your engine air filter condition!
I was cleaning my engine bay and decided mehh lets just check my engine air filter and WOW...
Just WOW México is a dirty place (Roads). My Engine Air Filter was horrible, You could barely see any light through it. Luckily its a K&N washable and I have a couple of kits in the garage so I am cleaning it right now.

My specific Air Filter had almost 30K on it so it was overdue to clean in "Severe Conditions" even thought K&N say 50K? Yeah not happening. So that is what I did today to my X...

Have a pleasant Afternoon yall!

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Have you also checked the cabin air filter?

I have a drop-in K&N filter for all three of my Acuras. I put around 20K per year on my MDX on mostly hwy mileage in the southwest and west. It is part of my spring cleaning to clean and re-oil the K&N engine filter and replace the cabin air filter (FRAM CF10134). K&N does make a reusable cabin air filter; but, 3X the cost FRAM cabin filters.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Luckily I am in SF Bay Area and my engine air filter can last 100k w/o apparent debris or dirt. I have stopped replacing even conventional air filters. Just vacuum and be done with it. It is a life-time part now.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you also checked the cabin air filter?

I have a drop-in K&N filter for all three of my Acuras. I put around 20K per year on my MDX on mostly hwy mileage in the southwest and west. It is part of my spring cleaning to clean and re-oil the K&N engine filter and replace the cabin air filter (FRAM CF10134). K&N does make a reusable cabin air filter; but, 3X the cost FRAM cabin filters.

Yeah cabin filter has been due for some time (Been using 3/4ths to A/C Max Air Speed often) but since its getting colder I have been postponing it.. Its on the "To do Next", I just hope cleaning the engine air filter helps a lil with the city mpgs if anything...

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Luckily I am in SF Bay Area and my engine air filter can last 100k w/o apparent debris or dirt. I have stopped replacing even conventional air filters. Just vacuum and be done with it. It is a life-time part now.

Yeah I had no issues when I live in cali, but this is the part of my work that needs me in México for almost a year so I have been living here for quite some time.. I feel the engine air filter clogged drastically faster here than in the US...

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Woahh just installed the clean filter and what a difference!, You can feel it once the RPMs go up there is an enhanced pick up from +2500RPM.. Haven´t WOT yet but I am more concerned about fixing those pesky super odd low city MPGs I have been getting of 11-12mpgs (Average is 14.5mpgs, though I haven´t been driving that aggressively to warrant it).

Highway MPGs have been amazing in the other hand..
As good as 30mpgs @ 65mph (Which is Top Speed in Baja California, México anyway).

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad to say I gained around 2-2.5mpgs after cleaning the air filter.. Now sitting at a solid 15mpg city under the same circumstances... I was averaging 11-12mpgs before.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts