Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
You're quite a bit below freezing!

I woke up to a dusting of snow, myself; although it's not quite as cold as where you're at.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
With so many hurricanes and long freezing winters, I am surprised that people still have not moved to California/Oregon/Washington in droves. hahaha...

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
It is going to be a chilly 50 degrees in NM today and it was in the 60s all week after X-mas.

I usually up the PSI to around 35-36 during the winter months because 32 PSI can cause the TPMS to alarm when the PSI naturally drops when it start to dip below freezing. I've had the TPMS alarm on the left side of car because it was shady and the right side was OK in the sun during really cold days when I kept it at 32 PSI. Also being at +5500 feet also causes the TPMS PSI to be off by 1.5-2 PSI compared to a hand guage.

We get large temp swings in the southwest of 25-35 degrees between our morning lows and afternoon highs. Low between 20-35 degrees and high of 50-65 degrees in December is a normal day for us.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We've been very cold here in MN the last few weeks. I usually keep the tires inflated enough that they never go below 32-33psi on cold mornings.

I do find that the "reported" tire pressures on my 2008 MDX seem to be much more sensitive to temperature than I see in other cars. Even on a cold day, when they start at 32, they can be 36-37 after 20 minutes of driving. Maths is hard but the rise in temperature doesn't seem sufficient to generate a 10+% change in pressure (given the percentage change in absolute temperature involved). Maybe the temp rise actually impacts the TPMS readings as well as the actual pressure?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.