Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure most of u have seen the T.V. commercial about the Fram Oil Filter drain valve. Apparently it would replace the drain plug, and it is "easy as a twist". anybody try it yet?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,732 Posts
You mean this?

http://www.autobarn.net/frasdseries.html


There have been similar things in the past
that allow cleaner drains without having to remove the drain plug.
I don't do my own anymore, so the 'mess' doesn't bother me.
But even at that, not sure I would want to replace the simple and reliable drain plug.
Also the drain opening is more restricted than when you remove the drain plug. I am sure mechanics might like it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,028 Posts
I would be willing to try it.

It looks like a convenient gadget. According to Fram's fit list however, it is not available for the MDX.

Are there any other similar drain valves made by other manufacturers that fit the MDX?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the link daleB. that is it. I was wondering if it would prevent leaks etc. in the long run. Just b/c Fram(or any other manufacturer) claims it doesn't mean its true.:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,732 Posts
Re: I would be willing to try it.

mgmdx said:
It looks like a convenient gadget. According to Fram's fit list however, it is not available for the MDX.

Are there any other similar drain valves made by other manufacturers that fit the MDX?
I am sure they have one that fits an MDX, but probably it's under a Honda model. But you would need to check it out. The Odyssey should be the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
818 Posts
Looks like the SD2 would fit the MDX

V6-3.2L F/inj. (24V) DOHC V-Tec . . . . . . . SD2
V6-3.5L F/inj. (24V) SOHC C35A1 . . . . . . SD2
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,809 Posts
MDXLuvr said:
I'm sure most of u have seen the T.V. commercial about the Fram Oil Filter drain valve. Apparently it would replace the drain plug, and it is "easy as a twist". anybody try it yet?
I would strongly advise not to use these type of unit. My family being in the automotive industry used to carry these in case they had a customer's drain plug get stripped. Another words somebody screwed in the drain plug and stripped the treads causing oil to leak when you tighten. Then we would use the devices which usually leaked and are a pain in the neck to reuse after a oil change, generally you have to install a new plug every time you change your oil. In cases of vandels it is much easier for someone to get under your SUV and drain out the oil and make you cause damage to you SUV. Basically they tend to leak and have to be replaced with a new plug every oil change in order to get a tight fit. Drain plug much better!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Re: Fram Oil Filter Drain Valve

paul123 said:


In cases of vandels it is much easier for someone to get under your SUV and drain out the oil and make you cause damage to you SUV.
good point, i hadn't thought about that.:eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
I highly adivse that no one use one of these "gadgets".

If you think about the consequences of driving over a curb, or going off-road and potentially opening the valve, you'll soon discover that you are running your engine without any lubricant. I'd say that without oil, that your MDX engine will probably be dead within 100 miles. Then try an get the manufacturer of the drain plug to pay for your new engine. Acura certianly won't cover the charges!

Also, how hard is it to take a few turns of the ratchet when removing the drain plug??? Not worht the risk.

-Cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,321 Posts
AcuraDoc said:
I highly adivse that no one use one of these "gadgets".

If you think about the consequences of driving over a curb, or going off-road and potentially opening the valve, you'll soon discover that you are running your engine without any lubricant. I'd say that without oil, that your MDX engine will probably be dead within 100 miles. Then try an get the manufacturer of the drain plug to pay for your new engine. Acura certianly won't cover the charges!

Also, how hard is it to take a few turns of the ratchet when removing the drain plug??? Not worht the risk.

-Cheers
Concur. Just did the service on my three cars this morning. At the MOST, a twist and drain would save 1 or 2 MINUTES. (And that includes a torque wrench on the tighten.)

Not worth the risk. BTW, the oil and filter took me 10 minutes (not counting drain time. While the X was draining I worked on the F250. The filter on THAT holds OVER A QUART.) Don't even need to jack up the X to do it.

I'd be worried that the valve might fail, get damaged, etc.

Ard

PS Vandals around here are more likely to key the paint than inspect the underside of your motor for a valve to open.......;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,502 Posts
Re: Re: Fram Oil Filter Drain Valve

paul123 said:
In cases of vandels it is much easier for someone to get under your SUV and drain out the oil and make you cause damage to you SUV. Basically they tend to leak and have to be replaced with a new plug every oil change in order to get a tight fit. Drain plug much better!
I don't think you are talking about the same thing, it is no easier for a vandal than a regular drain plug and you certainly don't replace it...

The Fram is a two piece system, the only way to drain is to attach the special actuator.


One of the reason to use a drain like this is to protect the pan from being stripped after repeated use.

You don't replace anything on each use. The drain stays on your car and doesn't leak but you install a cover which is a second stage of leak protection. To drain you remove the cover and attach the actuator which has a short hose to direct the draining oil.

Trasko's Dragon oil drain is also a 2 piece system.


The Fumoto is the one piece system with a lever and does look dangerous to me...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
455 Posts
I have used the Fram Sure Drain on my last two vehicles, it is very easy and clean to use. Have not put it on the X yet. The check valve does not leak a drop, had no problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
818 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Fram Oil Filter Drain Valve

whynotmdx said:


The Fumoto is the one piece system with a lever and does look dangerous to me...
I used the Fumoto on my 1985 Toyota 4X4 for eight years without any problems what so ever. I used the truck for mostly off road!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,809 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Fram Oil Filter Drain Valve

whynotmdx said:


I don't think you are talking about the same thing, it is no easier for a vandal than a regular drain plug and you certainly don't replace it...

The Fram is a two piece system, the only way to drain is to attach the special actuator.


One of the reason to use a drain like this is to protect the pan from being stripped after repeated use.

You don't replace anything on each use. The drain stays on your car and doesn't leak but you install a cover which is a second stage of leak protection. To drain you remove the cover and attach the actuator which has a short hose to direct the draining oil.

Trasko's Dragon oil drain is also a 2 piece system.


The Fumoto is the one piece system with a lever and does look dangerous to me...
You are correct, I was thinking a rubber plug that doesn't screw in. That product looks very good and not a bad idea. I would only worry about it if the drain plug aimed to the ground and the extention piece could get ripped off by bottoming out, but in the MDX, I believe the drain plug aims to the rear of the vehicle. I like the product and will look to install myself to avoid the possible stripping of the threads with my frequent oil changes. Thanks for the correction.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Sure Drain

There is no way for a vandal to open the sure drain system. I have used it on all three of my vehicles including my Ford Cobra with a high end 427. I have never had a single problem with it. And a vandal will need to be under your SUV with a drain hose to open the valve. I think someone would see them if they tried to drain the oil.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top