Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
So it sounds like the car did what it was supposed to do. And you hate the car for it. Why did you buy it?
There was no imminent threat of hitting the Corvette. My point was that the system misinterpreted the situation and dangerously overreacted.

And as far as why I bought it.... well... I ask myself that question nearly every time I start the vehicle.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
You can turn any of the Acurawatch systems off with a push of a button.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I was at a light behind a Corvette, in the left turn lane. When the light turned green and we started to accelerate, the Corvette made what appeared to be an impulsive and very quick U-turn. When he did this, I was still on the gas (lightly) -- detecting trouble, my car panic stopped and momentarily locked the wheels up. Thankfully the person behind me hadn't even started to accelerate, otherwise I have no doubt I would have been rear-ended. Yet another reason I hate this vehicle.
I guess you would have preferred to run into the corvette.

You can disable it is you wish.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the 2019 tech with (I think...not sure what CMBS is) all of the automated options. While I have noticed some false positive audible warnings when I’m approaching a car as I intend to switch lanes, I have experienced the car braking for me in an emergency situation and was grateful for it. Some goon in front of me slammed on his brakes about 5 feet AFTER going through a crosswalk at about 30mph when he noticed people on the sidewalk about 5-7 feet from starting into the crosswalk. They weren’t close enough for me to even stop at the crosswalk, though I glanced over at them right when he slammed on his brakes. The MDX detected it, made the warning noise and orange flash, and applied the brakes a split second before I was able to do so in my own reaction. I don’t think I would have hit him without it, but it was a great example of how it could potentially help in the future if I were completely out of it.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I've noticed I needed to adjust the way I drive to avoid CMBS/FCW situations. Longer intervals between vehicles to reduce ACC hard braking, using turn signals because of LDW/RDM, no worries backing out of blind parking spaces with cross traffic monitor, and always staying centered in the lane with LKAS. Not always easy to do because of rush hour traffic and aggressive (or clueless) drivers. I'm a much better driver and feel safer with Acurawatch. We are always going to miss something; but, Acurawatch is my kind of backseat driver I can live with.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Only thing I'll complain about is the usability and how refined this feature is on the mdx compared to other vehicles, same with the adaptive cruise control and lkas.

I drove a 2019 Infiniti qx60 loaner when I had my fx35 in for service and the collision mitigation works great, it detects the vehicle in front of you and gradually applies brakes / lets off throttle to slow down and make sure you don't hit the vehicle in front. For example let's say you are going 60 and coming up on a stationary vehicle at a stop light, it starts slowing down way in advance almost like adaptive cruise control would do on the mdx.

The mdx on the other hand even on the far distance setting waits until ur almost right on top of the vehicle to even alert you to the vehicle (stage 1) and by that point even if it did brake I'm not sure it would avoid a collision, probably just reduce the severity.

I much prefer the infinitis implementation of collision mitigation over the acura, in general the driver assistance features in the acura don't seem to be as refined / smooth as they could be with some programming tweaks.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the 2019 tech with (I think...not sure what CMBS is) all of the automated options. While I have noticed some false positive audible warnings when I’m approaching a car as I intend to switch lanes, I have experienced the car braking for me in an emergency situation and was grateful for it. Some goon in front of me slammed on his brakes about 5 feet AFTER going through a crosswalk at about 30mph when he noticed people on the sidewalk about 5-7 feet from starting into the crosswalk. They weren’t close enough for me to even stop at the crosswalk, though I glanced over at them right when he slammed on his brakes. The MDX detected it, made the warning noise and orange flash, and applied the brakes a split second before I was able to do so in my own reaction. I don’t think I would have hit him without it, but it was a great example of how it could potentially help in the future if I were completely out of it.
Update: this has now gone off a second time and it was completely unnecessary and the second time. Not only did it apply the brakes in a manageable situation without the feature, but it applied the anti-lock brakes hard, yet again. Really? Every time a car stops in front of me it’s gonna lock up the brakes unnecessarily? Could this be a sensitivity issue that I can adjust or have looked at at the dealer? I’ve never been in an accident in my life (18 years driving daily) so for this to go off two times in a week seems a little excessive.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Update: this has now gone off a second time and it was completely unnecessary and the second time. Not only did it apply the brakes in a manageable situation without the feature, but it applied the anti-lock brakes hard, yet again. Really? Every time a car stops in front of me it’s gonna lock up the brakes unnecessarily? Could this be a sensitivity issue that I can adjust or have looked at at the dealer? I’ve never been in an accident in my life (18 years driving daily) so for this to go off two times in a week seems a little excessive.
If I were to take a guess,I’d say that you are tailgating. I rarely have the warning go off. But I always make sure I leave plenty of space.
One of the advantages of lane assist is I see more people using signals to change lanes. If you are tailgating,perhaps you can give yourself more space. Or try cleaning the sensor in the grill.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Amadeo,

Check the setting, By default it is normal, but maybe it got set to Long. (or adjust to short if you like)

How to Adjust CMBS Settings
It’s super easy to adjust CMBS settings to just the way you like.
  • Press the SETTINGS button when your vehicle is in Park.
  • Choose the Vehicle Settings option.
  • Select Forward Collision Warning Distance from the menu.
  • Choose between three settings: Long, Normal, and Short. Normal is the default.
  • Select BACK to exit the menu screen.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If I were to take a guess,I’d say that you are tailgating. I rarely have the warning go off. But I always make sure I leave plenty of space.
One of the advantages of lane assist is I see more people using signals to change lanes. If you are tailgating,perhaps you can give yourself more space. Or try cleaning the sensor in the grill.
I guess I have to get used to “safety” rather than preference. It just comes as a shock when the brakes lock up and I’m fully aware of what’s in front of me and totally in control. Slowly creeping forward at a green light coming up to a two cars that initially took off to turn right at the light but then stopped for pedestrians. I saw it happening, inched forward with my foot off the brake and no gas, and then wham! Auto brake.

As far as adjusting the CMBS, which setting will allow me to get closer without it locking up? I’m guessing “short”?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I guess I have to get used to “safety” rather than preference. It just comes as a shock when the brakes lock up and I’m fully aware of what’s in front of me and totally in control. Slowly creeping forward at a green light coming up to a two cars that initially took off to turn right at the light but then stopped for pedestrians. I saw it happening, inched forward with my foot off the brake and no gas, and then wham! Auto brake.

As far as adjusting the CMBS, which setting will allow me to get closer without it locking up? I’m guessing “short”?
Long, Normal, or short only works for the stage one alert, but not force braking (according to the link below).

·
Registered
26 Posts
It appears I’ll just have to shut it off when the family isn’t in the car, or just not drive like I’ve always driven (allowing it to get to “stage 3” regularly).

·
Registered
2,340 Posts

I suggest you try them all. You only have 2 settings to try. You’ve already tried 1.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Many vehicles with forward collision warning also quickly becoming equipped with safety technologies like automatic emergency braking. If your vehicle has automatic emergency braking it will urgently apply the brakes if you fail to do so in time to avoid an impending collision. While automatic emergency braking may not prevent every crash from occurring, the technology may help lessen the severity of a crash.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Many vehicles with forward collision warning also quickly becoming equipped with safety technologies like automatic emergency braking. If your vehicle has automatic emergency braking it will urgently apply the brakes if you fail to do so in time to avoid an impending collision. While automatic emergency braking may not prevent every crash from occurring, the technology may help lessen the severity of a crash.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts