Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I tried to pass another vehicle on the highway. I moved my X to a lane on the right, and accelerated at the same time when suddenly, a bright yellow warning light was flashing on the windshield. It was gone in a second, plus I tried to keep my eyes on the road, so I couldn't quite tell if there was picture or a message in the light. Boy, it did got my attention!

I must have gotten too close to the vehicle ahead. :eek:

Don't want to repeat the experience again, but glad that FCW works. :D

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yesterday I tried to pass another vehicle on the highway. I moved my X to a lane on the right, and accelerated at the same time when suddenly, a bright yellow warning light was flashing on the windshield. It was gone in a second, plus I tried to keep my eyes on the road, so I couldn't quite tell if there was picture or a message in the light. Boy, it did got my attention!

I must have gotten too close to the vehicle ahead. :eek:

Don't want to repeat the experience again, but glad that FCW works. :D
I think it says "Brake!". My wife asked what that was as she was seeing it on the dash.

·
Registered
180 Posts
According to a reviewer it's only an orange light on the window. "Brake" probably shows up on your MID.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Orange light on the windshield is only available with Advance. "Brake" message is on the MID.
I have Advannce. Didn't pay attention to the MID at that time, but the flashing orange light on the windshield is very conspicuous and startling.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
^^ Since you have an Advance, did the vehicle actually apply the brakes or was it just a warning for this one?

I have a Tech and have had the forward collision warning come on a few times when I 'might drive somewhat aggressively' and switch lanes to pass a slowing vehicle in front of me but in these cases it wasn't a surprise to me that the warning came on and there was no issue but I've wondered if on an Advance it would have applied the brakes in some of these cases.

·
Registered
443 Posts
mdxstang,

It depends. There are multiple levels depending on the distance setting and the actual distance and speed differential:

- light flashing
- plus seat belt tug
- plus seat belt pulled all the way and brakes applied

The first time I experienced level three, it freaked me out (it's very fast reacting) and I was thankful too.

·
Registered
203 Posts
^^ Since you have an Advance, did the vehicle actually apply the brakes or was it just a warning for this one?

I have a Tech and have had the forward collision warning come on a few times when I 'might drive somewhat aggressively' and switch lanes to pass a slowing vehicle in front of me but in these cases it wasn't a surprise to me that the warning came on and there was no issue but I've wondered if on an Advance it would have applied the brakes in some of these cases.
On Advance, CMBS would apply the brakes if it detected collision was going to happen to slow the car down. My guess is it works in conjunction with radar used for ACC. On my Lexus these two were $500 combo option, you get one with the other. I wish Acura had it as separate option too.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I wish Acura had it as separate option too.
Yes - I didn't want to have to buy a way over-priced TV for the back of the cabin along with thousands of dollars of other things just to get a feature like this. I hate the way some of these things are coupled.

In reality, the Tech package may actually have all of the technology already built-in to perform the forward collision braking since it already has the forward collision warning as well as the ability to apply brakes via software. This feature is likely something they just enable in the vehicle's software via a setting when they decide to call it an 'Advance'.

I think someday automated forward collision braking will be something in all vehicles mandated by law. It's already appearing in a lot more vehicles, including non-high-end models.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Afaik, CMBS uses the ACC's radar. That's why they're sold together. The radar is the expensive part. Braking a car automatically based on optical input (the camera) is too dangerous. Too many false positives. The radar is very precise.

I've seen the FCW flashing several times. I've never been too brave to test the CMBS though. :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
The "BRAKE" warning flashed for the first time for me on my Tech last night at about 70 mph. I was on a four lane divided highway (Rt 84 west of Newburgh NY, in case anyone is familiar with it), no one in front of me, straight and level road, no road obstacles anywhere to be seen.

I do think there was a white moth/bug about the size of a nickel/quarter that flashed in front of the windshield right before the warning. The bug didn't hit the windshield, I think it moved left to right in front of the headlights (which made it quite bright) and either passed up and over or to the right of the car.

I am surprised that a bug could cause the warning, but since the system on the Tech is apparently camera vs. radar based, is this possible?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have SH-AWD/Tech with the FCW. I find that it works fairly well. I have noticed that it can be tricked. I have had several occasions where the warning sounded when reaching the bottom of a steep downhill. I don't know whether it is seeing the roadway as the grade bottoms off and levels out and interpreting that as an object in front of the vehicle. Its happened a couple of times.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I realize I'm coming to this party late, but as the owner of a 2016 MDX I have seen the BRAKE message flash and heard the warning beep when there is absolutely no one in front of me. It's a minor annoyance and doesn't occur that often. I have wondered what could be triggering this though.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I realize I'm coming to this party late, but as the owner of a 2016 MDX I have seen the BRAKE message flash and heard the warning beep when there is absolutely no one in front of me. It's a minor annoyance and doesn't occur that often. I have wondered what could be triggering this though.
Do you also have ACC/CMBS also? I sometimes get those false positives warning/beeping and I think it is the radar bouncing back from objects like metal sewage covers, rail road tracks, bridges with signs, or overhead signs over hwys. No full panic stops with my 11 MDX Adv or 19 MDX with those types of false warnings.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Mine has worked quite well. Only time it kinda scared me was when going around a sharp turn with a car approaching from the other direction and the light came on.

It only lasted a second and I am glad that the vehicle did not slam the brakes on in the corner!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you also have ACC/CMBS also? I sometimes get those false positives warning/beeping and I think it is the radar bouncing back from objects like metal sewage covers, rail road tracks, bridges with signs, or overhead signs over hwys. No full panic stops with my 11 MDX Adv or 19 MDX with those types of false warnings.
Do not have ACC. I don't think I have CMBS, I have never felt the car apply the brakes, I will need to check to be sure (I should really know this!). We do have LKAS, this I know.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was at a light behind a Corvette, in the left turn lane. When the light turned green and we started to accelerate, the Corvette made what appeared to be an impulsive and very quick U-turn. When he did this, I was still on the gas (lightly) -- detecting trouble, my car panic stopped and momentarily locked the wheels up. Thankfully the person behind me hadn't even started to accelerate, otherwise I have no doubt I would have been rear-ended. Yet another reason I hate this vehicle.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Do not have ACC. I don't think I have CMBS, I have never felt the car apply the brakes, I will need to check to be sure (I should really know this!). We do have LKAS, this I know.
You need ACC and CMBS together since they both use the same radar system located in the front of the grill. The FCW uses the camera system only in the top/center of the windshield for warning only without any emergency braking. You need CMBS to get the emergency braking action.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I was at a light behind a Corvette, in the left turn lane. When the light turned green and we started to accelerate, the Corvette made what appeared to be an impulsive and very quick U-turn. When he did this, I was still on the gas (lightly) -- detecting trouble, my car panic stopped and momentarily locked the wheels up. Thankfully the person behind me hadn't even started to accelerate, otherwise I have no doubt I would have been rear-ended. Yet another reason I hate this vehicle.
So it sounds like the car did what it was supposed to do. And you hate the car for it. Why did you buy it?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts