Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The issue: just got my Touring Rim and Michelin mounted & balanced, and had an interesting discussion with the tire tech re: how the spare should be mounted - this guy suggests that I mount the spare with the front side of the rim facing the ground. He states that the spare well is irregular and that the full size tire will not mount flush against the well. He pointed out that the compact spare has 2 creases across the tire where the irregularities in the well presses up against the tire. He reasons that the creases should not be on the side of the tire that is exposed when mounted. Since I am using a vinyl tire cover to cover whichever side is exposed, it made sense to me. Only issue is after mounting the spare this way, the spring that holds the bracket and cable to the spare sticks out a bit, causing a sort of dimple in the cover.

Now the question: Should I leave it this way or should I reverse it and mount it the other way ??? and has any one else mounted it this way (front side down) ?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I've got the vinyl cover and think it might cushion the sidewall some.
I have had my donut spare out for some time and the creases are very light now.
Someone on here had put some carpeting between the wheel face and the bottom of the chassis to prevent the creases.
I will check mine at the 1st rotation which I may do at 4000 miles.
I think it's strictly a cosmetic issue. Since we are using covers, I suppose we could mount it the other way, but I don't think that's how it was intended.
I would not want to run over something and come through the tire cover and scratch the rim face. It's remote, but could happen. For much the same reason I like the cable tucked up inside the wheel.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
another thing . . .

A few more interesting observations:

Not sure how far to tighten/torque the cable to secure FS spare against the well. Used the 'hand tight' method for now but not certain, especially to minimize tire crease issue . . .

It looks to me like the service tech will have to lower/remove the FS spare in order to drain the VTM fluid.

After removing, there was quite a bit of dust accumulated on the donut even tho the vehicle is less than 8 weeks young with less than 2k on the odometer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts