Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you have both an MDX and RX300 (wife) as I do.

Something is really bothering and would like to know if anyone has the same issue and done something about it.

Where does the left foot go when driving the MDX? All my previous cars of recent memory have a foot peg to keep the left foot in a symetrical angle to the right foot. In the X, the left footwell seems to obstruct where the left foot should be placed.

About the only thing I like about my wifes RX300 is that it has a properly positioned foot peg (o.k. stock sound system is great too), not just a black rubber piece arbitrarily placed on the carpet. In the RX, when braking hard, you can actually support your body weight on the left foot peg, and keep your body from sliding forward. On the MDX, the rubber pad is almost horizontal, not angled to prevent the foot from sliding forward during a really hard stop, and awkwardly positioned too far back, and too close to the pedals which does not provide support when cornering.

Anybody seen a classy looking aftermarket foot peg I can bolt onto the floorpan? This would seem easier than pounding in the wheel well. Which I might do with a sledge hammer if I don't find relief.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
TheyCallMeBruce said:
Where does the left foot go when driving the MDX?
MDX has a poor design; if you look closely there is a "spot" where your foot is supposed to go:rolleyes:

·
Registered
183 Posts
TheyCallMeBruce said:

On the MDX, the rubber pad is almost horizontal, not angled to prevent the foot from sliding forward during a really hard stop, and awkwardly positioned too far back, and too close to the pedals which does not provide support when cornering.

An interesting anecdote:

A friend of mine is an Orthopedic Surgeon. A significant portion of the knee replacements he performs are results of the driver/passenger locking their knees during a frontal collision...

:eek:

Thought I'd throw that it for an "EWWWWWWWWWW":2:

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
The lack of a dead pedal has been mentioned before on here. It would be nice.
I am sorry I don't have the link, but over on the Ody forum one member put an after-market dead pedal just where his left foot was begging to be.
It mounted with 3 self-tapping screws which placed it right over the rear portion of the left front wheel well.

He used three 2" long screws (after drilling some holes). It was necessary to have such long screws to get the pedal fully snugged down through the carpet, etc.
Then he used a Dremel tool to cut the excess screw length from inside the wheel well.
A silicone protectant was used to coat the screws.
The pedal used was designed for a different car, but the application is quite universal. Many custom auto stores (and on the web) carry ones that have a racy look.
It's just one more thing I still need to do myself.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Re: Re: Foot Peg

deltajetfixer said:
TheyCallMeBruce said:

On the MDX, the rubber pad is almost horizontal, not angled to prevent the foot from sliding forward during a really hard stop, and awkwardly positioned too far back, and too close to the pedals which does not provide support when cornering.

An interesting anecdote:

A friend of mine is an Orthopedic Surgeon. A significant portion of the knee replacements he performs are results of the driver/passenger locking their knees during a frontal collision...

:eek:

Thought I'd throw that it for an "EWWWWWWWWWW":2:
That's an interesting point, and if you look at the pictures over at the IHS testing website and see photographs of head-on collisions and how much intrusion results in leg injuries.
On the MDX there is some, but it is considered minor. I am not sure what effect the dead pedal would have in that instance. It would appear the rear portion of the wheel well would not 'crush' as quickly as the area directly under the firewall.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Here's the parts list off the OdyClub forum for a dead pedal. The Pedal has three mtg. brackets. You can bend them to get the correct angle and a solid mounting.

3 #14 2" screws

foot rest - '86 Honda Accord (~ $30 new)

Rubber spray or similar for coating screws

The link to the pictures was dead. But it should not take much imagination to figure it out.

Remember the screws will stick out inside the wheel well. You need to cut them off with a Dremel or cutting tool on a regular drill.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DaleB said:
Here's the parts list off the OdyClub forum for a dead pedal. The Pedal has three mtg. brackets. You can bend them to get the correct angle and a solid mounting.

3 #14 2" screws

foot rest - '86 Honda Accord (~ $30 new)

Rubber spray or similar for coating screws

The link to the pictures was dead. But it should not take much imagination to figure it out.

Remember the screws will stick out inside the wheel well. You need to cut them off with a Dremel or cutting tool on a regular drill.
Thanks for the info, Dale. Very helpful, will look into it. Funny that a 16 year old Honda would have better ergonomics than a current acura.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts