Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Fluid reservoirs question

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Hweber 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 Touring with 210 K miles. I will be taking it in soonish for a transmission fluid drain and fill, but that got me thinking about the fluid reservoirs... For the radiator, fluid exchanges freely between the unit and the reservoir, so one can check the quality of the fluid by checking a sample from the reservoir. Is the same true for transmission, power steering, and brakes? I've only checked that the levels are good.

#2 ·
Don't over think fluids. Change them on miles or time regardless. Coolant 5 years/60K miles at this point. Brake fluid every 3 years. Transmission fluid every 30K miles. PS fluid 3-5 years. If you gone longer than these intervals change them.

#3 ·
Transmission case acts as reservoir so yes. Power steering yes. Brakes no, but fluid pulsing and brownian motion means over weeks the fluid does move around.

In short all reservoirs are pretty representative of the fluids in the system but may not show all particles if sent for lab analysis.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#6 ·
I use the color of the fluid stain on white paper towel to judge. I do a drain and fill once per year (minimum) and more if the color still looks too brown. I have towed trailers cross county and lived in the hit desert, so i have been sensitive to treating it. Its easier to change then motor oil. 192k miles on an 2004

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.