Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Touring with 210 K miles. I will be taking it in soonish for a transmission fluid drain and fill, but that got me thinking about the fluid reservoirs... For the radiator, fluid exchanges freely between the unit and the reservoir, so one can check the quality of the fluid by checking a sample from the reservoir. Is the same true for transmission, power steering, and brakes? I've only checked that the levels are good.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Don't over think fluids. Change them on miles or time regardless. Coolant 5 years/60K miles at this point. Brake fluid every 3 years. Transmission fluid every 30K miles. PS fluid 3-5 years. If you gone longer than these intervals change them.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Transmission case acts as reservoir so yes. Power steering yes. Brakes no, but fluid pulsing and brownian motion means over weeks the fluid does move around.

In short all reservoirs are pretty representative of the fluids in the system but may not show all particles if sent for lab analysis.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
208 Posts
I thought this was a general interest question not a thought on delaying the change interval.

But if so then as said 1) bad idea and 2) you missed 2 important fluids to change - VTM-4 and differential case.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it was a general interest question, but also yes, I have been lax in maintenance... Just started reading up on this when I hit the 210K mark for service. I hope I've been lucky.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts