Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I will admit I am probably the poster here with the worst opinion of Acura and the 2014 MDX that was purchased new. I have owned the car for almost 17 months now. In that time I have had the following issues in no particular order all under warranty: Entire transmission replaced (seriously, the entire thing), IDS button replaced, replaced side view mirrors, struts on the rear hatch replaced (which first dealer told me were normal for the bad creaking), navigation system re-imaged or reset twice, 2 alignments, couple of recalls, headphone static, had a clogged seal on the rubber drains on rear door, a very badly assembled back end where there are gaps I can put my entire finger between the frame and the plastic/rubber molding, and a few other things.

But the big one now is flooding of the car due to poor manufacturing. I have had the car in multiple times complaining of water coming out of the back doors every time it rains. The dealer finally took a closer look when the car was sloshing due to water in the second row after over a gallon flowed out when I opened the door. They have agreed it is really bad and looked at the moisture seal and concluded that this has been due to a bad seal in the 2nd row door where sheets of water flowed in through the seal with window that damaged the speaker and carpet (and honestly worried about rust now inside door). Which all was claimed as normal for the first 16 months of the car by Acura. I personally don't think it's normal to have a loaner for almost 30 days in the first 17 months, but hey what do I know?

I have had conversations with Acura Client relations that were frustrating, unresolved, and antagonizing. Whenever I email or call, I can guarantee that they will not get back to me for 48-72 hours and when they do, it is during a window they KNOW I am not available due to the messages I leave. For example, last spring, I left messages every day for 3 weeks saying I was only available after 1pm Pacific and daily I would get the same guy leaving me a voice mail at 9-11 am saying "if you could please return my call" in a tone that sounded frustrated with me. I would call back and nothing. Then I would call again and talk to another agent who would say "I'm sorry I don't know where he went, I'll leave him a message". 3 weeks, every day. At that point I talked to a manager and asked for a buyback (as recommended under the table by 2-3 sales associates on the side). Manager says he will call service guys and then make a decision. Service guys claim they never talked to him, he claims the car is fine, no buyback. Now we are starting again with this flooding issue (as I have already played tag for over a week again), as I am worried about mold with kids who already have respiratory issues.

Maybe this helps explain my negativity and disgust with Acura. I have had 5-6 hondas in my life and have probably convinced 10-15 people to buy a honda/acura. Everyone I talk to says this is unheard of, at which point, I correct them and tell them it used to be, because now they have heard of it. Well the new dealer is trying to talk me out of the car and into a 16 MDX. How do I convince myself to look at a $50,000 car and trust a company again? It has been a nightmare. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. Otherwise, heed this cautionary tale, and realize that Acura really doesn't give a crap about us.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Remember this guy who smashed his BMW M6 worth $160k, because of poor customer service?

http://www.businessinsider.com/man-smashes-160000-bmw-m6-in-germany-2013-9

It's not just Acura... That M6 is thrice the price of your MDX and still got bad service.

Unfortunately, you got a lemon, a really rotten lemon. It really sucks for you right now. I would probably react the same way.

If I am in your situatuon, I would demand Acura to refund the purchase price with tax and all. Flooding in the car is unacceptable for any brand new car. It sounds like you are a Honda guy, if you still trust Honda, I would give them a chance to redeem themselves and ask for a brand new car plus more incentives.

If they still won't take action, sue them.

I have a 2014 Awd tech and had only minor problems that my dealer already took care of. I'm still happy with my purchase.

Hopefully, Acura will make it make ut right for you because no paying customer deserves that kind of BS.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I had a Ford Exploder version of your MDX - least reliable vehicle I ever owned.

You certainly have had your share of bad experiences - there's no denying that. I haven't had any of the issues you mentioned on my 2014 MDX so they're not all like yours - you ended up very unlucky in the vehicle you ended up with.

Now what? You could cut and run but that'll cost you of course but then you need to consider what to do when the warranty runs out. Yours may be the prime candidate for an extended warranty if you plan to keep it longer term - even though I never get an extended warranty and they're generally not a good deal for the consumer.

If you have a decent dealer they might be willing to work with you to give you a reasonable deal on a trade-up if you're willing to take a chance on an MDX again. Or, you might be like I was with the Exploder and simply jaded and not want to consider Acura/Honda again and take a look at other options but that grass on the other side doesn't always turn out as green as it appeared to be.

You could just keep yours and keep after them to fix the things that are broken (or will break in the future). You already know to not take "it's normal" for an answer. Seriously, they should fire those techs that continually say that.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Looks like you should be able to make a Lemon Law claim. In WA state, one of the stipulations if the car is out of service for 30 or more cumulative days, would qualify. But all the other issues, you have to be there to make that claim. Sounds like you have a text book lemon. All car makers have Lemons. You just happened to have one this time around.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Depends on your state but here in Florida you have 24 months to get a car under the lemon law, so the clock may be ticking.

I personally would not keep that car. If it's a headache in the first 17 months will it magically get better? Acura already said no to a buy back so now you have to play hardball. Force their hand by going the lemon law route. I imagine their tune will change very quickly. Manufacturers never want to lemon a car, they would rather buy it back quietly and make you as whole as possible. If that means trying another Acura, maybe it's worth it. Seems the 2016 have less issues. That's what I would do in your shoes.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Sounds like you've gotten the raw deal of everything. Bad (even more so than the "normal" bad as of late) quality control on the production of your particular MDX. Bad dealer. Bad district manager. Bad client relations rep. Just bad everything. Sorry to hear.

I would love to have been involved in this situation somewhere so I could have turned things around for you at the dealer level before things got where they have. There's around 300 dealers or so...I can't be at all of them.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the support. As for the lemon law, I think in Illinois that the law is just for the first 12 months (same issue 4 times or 30 days out of service). I just hope it explains my frustrations with the entire process. To be honest, I'm not sure what I'm more frustrated with: the car or how ACR has dealt with it. I would have never believed that I would have gone through this with the normal quality that I have expected from Acura/Honda. I chose to believe it was an isolated incident when I purchased the 15 Odyssey Elite this past March. It has been nice seeing the posters here who have had success and I do realize that 90+% of MDX owners are satisfied and don't even search out a forum like this.
I would say I'm interested in a new Acura, but I'm concerned at the "what-if" scenario if the car goes wrong again and how it's been handled so far. I will say I've had more success at the new dealer I have been going to. But I'll also say that the Infiniti dealer has made me a VERY attractive offer on a new one, but hasn't seen my MDX to evaluate it for a trade in due being at the Acura dealer for 8/17 days. That being said, I'm just not sold on the CVT engine. I do like the comfort of the inside of the QX60 though.
What sucks is the anger I feel every time I get in the car as I wonder what will go wrong next. I'm at the point where I'm scared to out my kids in due to mold, breaking down, or the "what's next" and will it cause a crash and hurt my family. I know I need out, but it sucks thinking I spent $50,000 and have received nothing out of it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like you've gotten the raw deal of everything. Bad (even more so than the "normal" bad as of late) quality control on the production of your particular MDX. Bad dealer. Bad district manager. Bad client relations rep. Just bad everything. Sorry to hear.

I would love to have been involved in this situation somewhere so I could have turned things around for you at the dealer level before things got where they have. There's around 300 dealers or so...I can't be at all of them.
Keep being awesome to those customers that you do help. It's pretty cool to see a person so dedicated to what they do with pride and passion. Imagine if every where that integrity existed. I just wish I knew what step to take next. It sucks when a car that I was so excited to buy has been so bad and I keep getting told how either things are "normal" or "unheard" of, but no one is willing to actually do anything beyond assure me that "it will be covered" or "sold an extended warranty" due to a piss poor manufactured car.
Out of principle I hate the idea of litigation, but as some of you have said it may become unavoidable. The flooding and possibility of mold (and affecting my kids) is the last straw.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I'm at the point where I'm scared to out my kids in due to mold, breaking down, or the "what's next" and will it cause a crash and hurt my family.
If I truly felt that way (and I can't tell from your posts the extent to which you feel that way), I'd get rid of the vehicle even if it meant taking a financial hit. The vehicle's of little use if you end up unwilling to use it for family vacations or worse, day to day transport for the family.

I understand the anxiety feeling. My Ford Exploder stuck my family in a small town while on vacation and it took the nearest dealer (in a larger small time 40 miles away from where it was stuck) a week to fix it. I rented an awful sedan at a high rate (about the last rental car available in that town) and finished out some of the vacation but ended up driving back home since this was to be a camping trip and that gear was with the Exploder. Anyway, after getting it back (5 hour drive to get it then drive it back home), I was expecting it to fail again at any time. Luckily it didn't fail with that same issue. I eventually did keep it and that anxiety decreased but I was glad to eventually be rid of it. It did have some further issues and almost stuck me a couple more times with front hub issues (4WD) and had various Check Engine light issues due to failing sensors. I never trusted that vehicle. I replaced it with a Dodge Durango which was much more reliable.

·
Registered
560 Posts
You bought your car in Illinois? Is your dealer located on Ogden ave?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I hope McGrath of Westmont isn't the dealer in question here. They have a very good tech there that I would expect to have done a better job getting this vehicle fixed.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I hope McGrath of Westmont isn't the dealer in question here. They have a very good tech there that I would expect to have done a better job getting this vehicle fixed.
That's the one. Worst dealer experience I have ever had, especially sales department. People full of crap down there for some reason... Maybe i was just dealing with bad people..

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did not buy it there or have it services there. But if this new dealer I'm going to doesn't work out, I may then. But in defense of the techs, the car has been fixed and fixed and fixed, just never the same thing twice, except for my complaints on alignment and the water in door. I don't blame them for everything. It's just been repair upon repair. Thanks again guys, I'm just waiting to talk to client relations again and hopefully they will conced this time that it's a really poorly manufactured car, but I've been playing phone tag for a week this time.

·
Registered
357 Posts
You're a very patient man. If it was me I'd be driving a new car loooong time ago. Find a Lemon Law lawyer in your state and let him loose. Most states obligate manufacturer to pay for your legal fees.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You're a very patient man. If it was me I'd be driving a new car loooong time ago. Find a Lemon Law lawyer in your state and let him loose. Most states obligate manufacturer to pay for your legal fees.
Thanks. I really want to do this the right way, and I'm not a huge fan of litigation when not required, but I fear you may be right soon. I'm trying to have faith in them as a life time Honda family.

But I did pick up the mdx today and they replaced the sash on the window as it had "large gaps" and had been letting in water into the door since day one apparently. The new dealer I've been working with called Acura client relations and is willing to talk to them and confirm what I've been saying. They are also wondering if there was a previously undisclosed accident that was never reported by the first dealer or company due to the incidents on the car. Who knows. I'm hoping to just have a conversation at some point with someone in client relations and just ask them why I should stay with them if this is how they handle the situation so far?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Thanks. I really want to do this the right way, and I'm not a huge fan of litigation when not required, but I fear you may be right soon. I'm trying to have faith in them as a life time Honda family.

But I did pick up the mdx today and they replaced the sash on the window as it had "large gaps" and had been letting in water into the door since day one apparently. The new dealer I've been working with called Acura client relations and is willing to talk to them and confirm what I've been saying. They are also wondering if there was a previously undisclosed accident that was never reported by the first dealer or company due to the incidents on the car. Who knows. I'm hoping to just have a conversation at some point with someone in client relations and just ask them why I should stay with them if this is how they handle the situation so far?
If there was an accident that caused these many problems,any good body person should be able to spot them.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And it happened again. I was curious as to what would happen when it rained again hard. Well I found out, more leaking through the door despite a new sash and caulking. Seriously, what has happened to Acura? This has just been ridiculous. I have a meeting with the district rep this week at the new dealer. I'm not holding my breath, but this has just been unacceptable in a car just over a year and a half old.

I don't think Acura realizes how many people are seeing this. No joke, there's a pool hanging in my office for what color the next loaner will be each week.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I agree you are a very patient person. Good for you because I doubt I could have handled this situation with as much grace as you have.

Thinking out loud, there are possible options I guess?
1. Keep working at having this car fixed since it's under warranty and you get loaners. Are they at least giving you MDX loaners? I don't think this option is very palatable because if the car isn't solid at 17 months how will it do years down the road?

2. Try to convince Acura to buy back the vehicle. This may be tough if you truly don't have the threat of doing a lemon law in your state, but if you push the fact that you have had multiple Honda/Acura products in the past, this may help. Also may help if you are willing to buy another MDX to replace it.

3. Lemon law/litigation. Doesn't sound like this is possible any more? If nothing else it may not hurt to have a consultation with a lawyer who deals with this in your state to see what they think.

4. See how much your dealer will offer in trade for a new MDX. I imagine it won't be a great offer since they know the history but if you buy another vehicle they may be able to play some with the numbers to keep your business.

5. See how much Infiniti dealer will offer in trade for a new vehicle. Sounds like you are a person of integrity so I imagine you would tell them the difficulties you have had which again would likely affect the numbers, but if they are offering you a great deal it may help with the financial hit. I had a friend one time trade in a used vehicle that had a lot of battery drain issues and he didn't tell the dealer about them--I didn't agree with that approach but oh well.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts