Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everytime I walk into the garage, I noticed the flood lights on the mirror are on. It seems to detect the key fob is near and turn them on? Is this the case? I haven't done any extensive testing with/without the key fob or tried to determine if the lights are warm (indicating it's always on). I do have a camera in my garage, but I'll need to wait for nightfall to determine if they're really on or off and how close the keyfob must be.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Yep, proximity to the key turns the mirror lights on. There is a section in the manual that details all the situations it will turn on/not turn on. The distance is somewhere around 4-5 feet I think.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, proximity to the key turns the mirror lights on. There is a section in the manual that details all the situations it will turn on/not turn on. The distance is somewhere around 4-5 feet I think.
Mine seems a bit stronger than that, as it seems to be already on before I make it to the garage. Fortunately, we store the keys one room over from the room that enters into the garage, so I think we're safe from any battery drain type issues.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Mine seems a bit stronger than that, as it seems to be already on before I make it to the garage. Fortunately, we store the keys one room over from the room that enters into the garage, so I think we're safe from any battery drain type issues.

Thanks!
Oh yeah I was worried about that too initially. But it seemed to be fine (had my wife check for me).

Here's what the manual says:
(MODELS WITH NAVI)
When you go into the keyless access system working range (and this is 32 inches says the manual, but it seems father) with all the doors locked, the LED puddle lights come on for 30 seconds.

The lights do not come on if you have previously stayed within the range for more than two minutes, or the doors have been locked for a few days.

The feature activates again after you drive the vehicle, then lock the doors. If you do not open a door within 30 seconds of unlocking the vehicle, the doors will automatically relock.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Same here. Lights turn on automatically. My keys are store 4-6 feet away from the car with no problems. I think they only turn on for 10-15 seconds then go off regardless if the key is still in proximity.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh yeah I was worried about that too initially. But it seemed to be fine (had my wife check for me).

Here's what the manual says:
(MODELS WITH NAVI)
When you go into the keyless access system working range (and this is 32 inches says the manual, but it seems father) with all the doors locked, the LED puddle lights come on for 30 seconds.

The lights do not come on if you have previously stayed within the range for more than two minutes, or the doors have been locked for a few days.

The feature activates again after you drive the vehicle, then lock the doors. If you do not open a door within 30 seconds of unlocking the vehicle, the doors will automatically relock.
Thanks, that seems pretty thoughtfully designed.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
If you're really worried, I think you can leave the MDX unlocked if you park it in the garage all the time, and I believe that doesn't allow the LEDs to light until you open the door (this is what I do).

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you're really worried, I think you can leave the MDX unlocked if you park it in the garage all the time, and I believe that doesn't allow the LEDs to light until you open the door (this is what I do).
According to my wife, if I drive the car, park it, and then she drives it, her key fob won't adjust the seats, etc. automatically unless the car was locked prior. That's a bit regrettable as our Audi and our former BMW did.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Oh, that's interesting. I think I have experienced that too. It sets it according to who opens the door from the outside, though if both my and I stand by the doors and I open the door, it sets it to her if she drove it last because it thinks it is her again. I've resorted to just pushing the button to my settings when that happens.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, that's interesting. I think I have experienced that too. It sets it according to who opens the door from the outside, though if both my and I stand by the doors and I open the door, it sets it to her if she drove it last because it thinks it is her again. I've resorted to just pushing the button to my settings when that happens.
According to her, when she walks out there without me or my key present, it doesn't adjust the seat. However, if the car is locked, then it does. I haven't tested it, but that's what she says.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts