Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

2004 MDX 185,000 kms

So after 2 days of constant idling and driving in heavy rain, D5 started flashing, vehicle went into limp mode and CEL came on along with VSA.

I got it scanned and error code p0747 ( Transmission fluid pressure (TFP) solenoid -stuck on). I removed and tested the dual linear solenoid And tested voltage on it to find out it was toast. So I replaced it with a brand new OEM part number ().

After install of new solenoid, I start it up and CEL is gone. it takes about 5 min of clunky ups hiring shifting in D4 before it is shifting like new again for about 30 min on highway, great. I bring it back home, let out atf from drain plug to level out fluid level. I take it for another test drive, and literally the first shift in D4, the CEL comes on, flashing D5 comes back and vehicle is back into limp mode. It was raining heavily again that evening during test drives. When I check atf dipstick fluid appears to be slightly foamy.

I'm perplexed now why it was shifting perfectly after replacing dual linear solenoid and now it's back to the same problem. If anyone could shed some insight or their own experience that would be amazing, very demoralized right now.

Tx, AM

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
The scary thing about your description is the "foamy" ATF. But I'm thinking it could be because of low fluid level. I guess my question is - if the car (presumably) had the right amount of fluid in it, why did you have to drain any fluid? The right way to test the fluid level is to drive the vehicle until it's fully warmed up, park it on a level surface, turn it off - and then within a minute, pull the dipstick and test the level. There are any number of ways to get an inaccurate reading... is it possible that you simply dropped the ATF level below the right point?

Hope so - the alternative might be a breach between the radiator's antifreeze and ATF coolant systems. When some antifreeze gets mixed in with the ATF, it gets foamy and should be pretty obviously compromised. If that's the case, you replace the radiator (obviously) and do a lot of drain-and-refills of the ATF until you've eliminated as much of the antifreeze as possible.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts