Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a silver MDX on the way, with steps and splash guards. I am still debating whether to go with the flares or not. So far, I have not seen the factory flares (unpainted) on silver.

Help me out, does anyone have the stock flares on siver pics?

Now, should I cancel the chromed stock wheels and go with 19-20"ers??

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
YOur Silver should look nice.

CANCEL the chrome option. The chrome option on your stock wheels will make your Starlight Silver too transparent. YOu want the paint to stand out NOT the damn wheels.

If you are planning to upgrade to 19 or 20 inch, pick a nice satin finish not chromed.

As for the flares. I dont care for them. But if you plan to have the wider wheels later the flares make the vehicle look for masculine and form fitting when you have the 19" or 20 " installed.

Just my opinion

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I too think the silver will look nice!

Regarding chrome wheels, I will have to differ with you on this. Maybe my sportscar past is still coming through, but I think almost any passenger car, truck, or SUV is enhanced with chrome wheels (ok, maybe not a hummer). After seeing chrome wheels on the MDX, I did not even consider the stock wheels. Of course, I was a teenager in the 70's and always had my Camaro's, Mustangs, etc. decked out with chrome. To each his own. I do think a darker vehicle is enhanced more than silver or white, but enhanced all the same. It is good we have differnent opinions, otherwise we would all fight over the same SUV and woman for the passenger seat!

Regarding the fender flares, I took a dislike to them as well, but have never seen them on silver. I will reserve judgement until I do. You are probalby correct in that they have a marginal impact on the stock 17" wheel size, but would enhance the bigger stuff.

However, anything that makes the vehicle look "sporty", without ridiculous or cheap, is ok in my book!

·
Registered
74 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Calkc2,

I think that you cannot go wrong with the flares. You can have them painted or leave them as they are. Even unpainted, they would provide a subtle contrast on silver.

As far as the wheels are concerned, I would spend the money on aftermarket wheels or leave the stock wheels as they are.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Paint the flares

I don't have any pictures of an SS with Flares, since I just put them on my Redrock Pearl. (I will be posting some pics of that to help RR owners make the decision.) However, I went through some of the same agony deciding what to do that you are. So, here is my 2 cents.

The flares are a brownish gray (or grayis brown) color that I don't think will look good on silver. It looks great on Mesa Beige and GG and fine on RR, but I think they will distract from the silver. However, they do make the MDX look more aggressive, and that is good. I suggest that you get them painted to match your MDX (or, perhaps, a contrasting color like black). Tim can do that for you.

Actually, it was Tim's March special (flares for $475) that got me off the fence, and now I'm glad I did it.

- Conrad

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info regarding the flares. You guys are sorta supporting what I was thinking. Tough decisions!

I think I like the look of flares, but the color is turning me off a little (I think). Solution? maybe shelling out a little more bucks for painted ones. I have liked pics of body colored flares seen on this forum. On the other hand, I may stick with stock sized wheels and no flares. On the other hand, maybe black to match the side steps will look good, and offset chrome sheels? Hmmmm

Question: Does the flares color match the front under chin protection (not front trim)? I have noticed that they are lighter than the mud flaps. What is up with that?

I think I will try to stop by my dealer and look at the flares they have in stock, and hold them up to a silver vehicle, that may help. It appears pics of stock flares on SS X's are in short supply. Maybe there is a reason?

Now, if only it was 6 weeks later.......at least I have time for these decisions!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think the standard flares match the front and rear 'skid plates' fairly closely. It appears that the standard trim accessories have 3 color 'themes': black (roof rack, wind deflector, mud flaps, grill, etc.), grayish-brown (flares, skid plates), and matching car color (BSMs and just about anything painted).

I've posted some comparison pics of my RedRock (with/without), they may give you an idea of how they match the skid plates:

RedRock with/without fender flares

- Conrad

·
Registered
11 Posts
Problems with chipping on painted flares?

I'm on the fence as to whether to have the flares on my future SS painted or not. I've seen a couple SS 's on the road without painted flares and thought they looked sharp with the contrast. But, reading the forum comments has made me rethink this.

Concern - one of the expected benefits of the flares was to reduce the chances of door dings. If the flares are painted, won't that just be putting the flares in the line of fire (so to speak)? Has anyone had any experience with door dings on their painted flares? Since the paint is going on over plastic I'd be concerned that they might be more likely to chip.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am at the same point: should the flares for SS be painted or not? I have yet to see a SS with unpainted flares or a pic, so I am still unsure.

I stopped by my dealer today, to see if there was a silver on the lot. There was a SS customer's in for service, but without flares. They did have a white one on the lot for sale, and they put the unpainted flares on it! I do not like them at all on white, the contrast is just to much. Them may look ok on silver though...??

Here is a pic of the white one, with unpainted flares and lower trim.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Does anyone have pics of a mesa beige with unpainted flares? Thank you!

·
Registered
738 Posts
Paint the flares.
My wife doesn't know anything about cars. Just that she likes her Lexus RX300. Thinks my MDX is just "ok."
She saw a mahagony MDX with unpainted flares on the freeway and laughed out loud. "Why do people mess up such a nice car with such stupid looking stuff?," she asked. "I have the same thing." "I don't think so, or else I'd notice." When we stopped at the gas station she got out and took a look at my black-body matched painted flares and gave an approving nod. "They look right on your car. How come other people don't just buy it in the same color as their car?" Then comes the explanation of the extra $600 - $900 in paint work (had the front trim done too), hauling the car back and forth to install after painting, and then back to the shop for colorsanding and finish polishing. About 16 hours in arranging the purchasing, paint estimation, pick up/drop off waits, installing the flares & front trim myself, dropping off the car, rental car hassles, arranging co-workers to drive me, etc, etc. (She thought it was just new-car purchasing hassles)

Like any job well done, nobody notices. But they sure do notice flares that aren't painted. Even on Silver Satin. Unlike the Montero, the MDX flares are not well integrated into the body and stickout sorely when they are unpainted. Effort well spent, I think. My humble opinion.

By the way, I think chrome door handles have that 50's look, so they got painted too. Huge pain to get them off, but was able to rip out the paper-cone Bose speakers while the door was apart. Upgrading the Bose system is a whole 'nuther story.

Are you sure you want bright chrome wheels on silver? Have you seen other cars (any make) in this color pattern? I have, and I think that you should think about it more, get more opinions so that you don't take offense when no one else sees it the way you do.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bruce:

I took no offense to anyone not agreeing with my opinion on chrome wheels, people either seem to love em or hate em! I fall in the former. Yes, I have seen chrome sheels on silver, and they still look nice to me, depending on the wheels and vehicle. The MDX I saw set up this way looked terrific.

There is a pic of a silver X with the chrome wheels, go to gallery, posted for ColMo, and bottom of page 1 and top of page 2. I like it!

Regarding the flares, I agree with you the more I see the flares, the less I like the upainted ones on any color. Still have not seen them on silver, though. I agree that the flares do not "flow" into the lines of the X, and seem pasted on, especially in how they line up with the flaps, etc.

I think I will hold off on getting them, unless I decide to get the painted ones later. Thanks to all for your advice!
:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Go with Flares

I have a SS with Flares and I love the contrast in color...It's my favorite option as weel as the BSMs.... I just got my painted deflector ..yet to install. I hope to have pics of my X posted by Friday. Reserve your judgement until you see the pics! There is no wrong or right look..It's all about what makes you happy. I have had 3 silver cars..and nothing makes silver look better than contrasting colors...I opted for the painted delflector because I think the black looks too plastic and I had the sliver spoiler on my 97 CR-V and it changed the whole look of the car..The roof rack provides enough black color at the top lines of the car.

Just my opinion...Oh well...I just turned 2000 miles on mine and I beleive the X is the best Ute for the money hands down..I've driven everything, and there is no comparsion .. :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Having to install the flares ourselves, here is my 2 cents regarding the painted or unpainted issue.

First, the flares on the rear left side is notched out to accommodate the gas door/latch. If unpainted, and the car is not silver, it really shows the "missing piece". (Look closely at some of the pictures posted with unpainted flares).

Second, the rear mud gurad should be installed when you install the flares. Otherwise, the rear flare is again notched out to accomodate this accessory.

Here is the fun part: The rear mud guards have a slight finishing "problem". It does not butt up to the flare perfectly, so there will be a noticeable gap between the mud guard and the flare. If the flares are not painted, the gap will show up more. That is why some people have hand trim the mud guard so that it fits higher or closer to the flare and minimize the gap.

So if none of these minor details concern you, then go with the constrasting look. But I think only the silver color can safely get away with unpainted flares.

Also, if you want bigger tires, the flares do give a more aggressive or sporty look to accommodate that.

·
Registered
54 Posts
No top of the "issues" on flares that MDXcrazed mentioned, I also do not like the front of the flares (for both front and rear) which does not extend all the way to the lower part of the MDX. It does not have the full rap around effect and looks incomplete unpainted to me.

I circled the area on the white MDX picture

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Flares

I have a mbeige with oem flares. I like the contrast, and imhop, makes the X look tougher as well as actually providing a little more protection from road debris. The only issue I have had was complaints from folks who have purchased the full bra and have been unable to install the lower portion. I did see an X recently with flares and the full bra installed, so it is possible!

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
for me its a simple answer, unpainted no! Painted yes, though I really hate that nose deal. Makes it look like a pontiac.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts