Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in FL.

I went into the Acura dealership on Wed and would've walked out with the CPO, but it needed a repair, so I'm waiting. I didn't sign anything even though I did put down a refundable deposit to hold the vehicle. I've been doing research since then and I've realized they're trying to screw me on the warranty (big surprise, I know) by offering me the third party garbage instead of a Honda product that's available.

They want ~$2,000 for a 10 year "warranty" from a third party. I tend to agree with most folks that a warranty is useless, but with the amount of time I plan to keep the car and all the newly loaded electronics these days, I want the peace of mind.

So last night I was researching the topic and I found out about Acura Care through Google. When I found it, my dealership had already closed, but I called the financing dept of a dealer in Cali and he said the pricing for Acura Care should be uniform throughout dealers and he gave me some quotes—around $2,100 for an 8 year 100k mile Honda-backed warranty. I sure wish it was a bit less but I think it's a decent deal.

This morning I called and learned that my dealership offers Acura Care even though they didn't mention it at all. The finance guy I'm dealing with seemed nice on Wed but in retrospect he's just a patronizing jerk. When I asked him if they offer Acura Care he said "yeah but we don't sell it much." Well, no kidding he doesn't sell much, bc he doesn't offer it to people! Probably bc he makes more commission off the third party garbage he's trying to peddle to me.

So the local price on the Acura Care is ~$2700 for the same coverage that the Cali guy quoted me $2100 for. Local guy claims FL regulates Acura Care as insurance and that they can't change the price at all. Fla. Stat. § 634.414(3) says that "By July 1, 2011, each service warranty contract sold in this state must be accompanied by a written disclosure to the consumer that the rate charged for the contract is NOT SUBJECT TO REGULATION..."

So I called the Cali financing guy back and he said my guy can make the Acura Care almost any price they want. He suggested that I should only deal with the local financing manager from now on, that I should bring up the fact that they're playing games by not offering me the Acura Care product, and that I want the 8 year Acura Care which they quoted me locally at $2700 for the same price as the third party garbage would be for 10 years, around $2000. He said if they're unwilling to do that then I should walk away.

I'm inclined to take his advice, but frankly I don't want to come back home with my old car, I want to get rid of it and I do quite like the CPO. I'd never be rude or come out guns blazing with cursing and threats, I'd be very calm about it, but I definitely feel I'm owed some consideration for waiting two days for the repair (if it's even repaired tomorrow!), and for them playing games with the warranty offerings and prices.

Thoughts and suggestions on how to proceed from you all in the trenches would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
893 Posts
Not sure what year CPO you are buying, but unless they have changed, the AcuraCare warranty is from the car's in service date, not the date you purchase. Also, you can buy an AcuraCare warranty at any time prior to the expiration of the initial manufacurers warranty. If buying a CPO that is out of original warranty, I believe the AcuraCare warranty has to be purchased at time of CPO purchase.

Also, some dealers only sell certain products. I found this out when my son bought a Subaru from a Rick Hendricks owned dealership, and asked about pricing for the Subaru extended warranty. Finance guy said he had bought a new Honda from adjoining dealership and even he could not buy a HondaCare warranty, only Hendricks related product.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Since you are in florida.. I remember seeing some thing weird about acura care. I bought many acura care through curry, never had issue.. check the link https://www.curryacuracare.com/

Go to the bottom of page. Dont know what thats about but seems like you can only buy it from a FL dealer. Good luck

Florida residents may only purchase Acura Care and Honda Care coverage from a Florida Honda or Acura dealer. Acura Care prices cannot be discounted in Florida.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Dont know what thats about but seems like you can only buy it from a FL dealer.
It's actually a Florida law/reg that requires vendors of vehicle service contracts to be licensed.

Fla. Stat. § 634.031(1): A person may not transact, administer, or market, attempt to transact, administer, or market, or in any manner hold itself out as transacting, administering, or marketing the service agreement business, on behalf of herself or himself or itself, in this state or from this state unless it is authorized to do so under a subsisting license issued to it by the office. The company shall pay to the office an annual nonrefundable license fee for the license.
It's definitely still possible to buy the Acura Care from outside Florida, you just can't let on that the vehicle is registered in Florida or you need to find a vendor who doesn't care about Florida law. If you ever make a claim, Acura will likely just check to see if you have an extended warranty and won't care who sold it to you or about the relevant Florida law.

However, when purchasing the extended warranty for a CPO which extends out to a maximum of 8 years and 120k miles from the in-service date, that CPO warranty extension must be part of the deal sheet and therefore must be made at the dealership where you're purchasing the vehicle.

I called Acura and they said dealers have the ability to adjust the Acura Care pricing, but I called around to several in FL and they all were the same price. My dealer didn't budge on the price and claimed it was set by an Acura retail price guideline for Florida which he even showed me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts