Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used mdx last week with a few spots like this I'd like to fix. The dealership gave me Acura touch up paint but I assume that won't look great. Is it possible to fix these so it looks flawless? If so what's the best way and how much do you think it will cost? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
We could use more information. That looks like the bumper. I don’t know if you can fix plastic. As far as the metal, several hundred dollars per spot. Depending on how old the car is. It could be harder to match the paint.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We could use more information. That looks like the bumper. I don’t know if you can fix plastic. As far as the metal, several hundred dollars per spot. Depending on how old the car is. It could be harder to match the paint.
Sorry, it's a 2018 and that picture is the bumper. Is there any thing I can do to get it looking nice?

·
Registered
239 Posts
No, I don't think bumper dings can be fixed without refinishing it. Refinishing could cost almost same as getting a new bumper.

·
Super Moderator
1,730 Posts
Bring it to the local body shop and ask how much does it cost to repaint the bumper. If you decide to do it, make sure to apply Rear Bumper Applique/Protector once done to prevent future scratches on bumper during loading/unloading.

·
Registered
631 Posts
You can just install the OEM bumper protector, it should cover it. I installed mine right after i got the car, it requires drill holes on the bumper.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Molded body parts like bumper covers can sometimes have "dents" removed by warming them up with a heat gun, hair dryer, or by pouring hot water over them. If using a heat gun stick to the low setting and go slow taking care not to "burn" the paint. I would start with hot water, then move on to the hair dryer and finally the heat gun if not getting the result you want. A molded part wants to return to it's original shape when heat is applied. Watch some videos on youtube and don't be afraid to take your time and multiple applications of hot water. Then touch up with a paint tube. But if you are looking for a "perfect" result then a body shop is the only option. Pricing will vary by market, but expect $500-800 and most shops will insist on painting the entire cover. If you can find a local provider that primarily services dealerships with "spot" touch up you may be able to get that done for around half of a full repaint. If there is a bumper protector or other trim add-on that covers it that would be a great option if desired.

Depending on your desire for a "perfect" repair you can get more aggressive with the DIY options. Many times I have approached something like this with the mentality that if my DIY screws it up I wanted a particular result badly enough that if it failed I was willing to come out of pocket for a professional result, but if not I would approach it more cautiously to avoid making it bad enough I couldn't live with it as is.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you want perfect, a good quality body shop is your only option.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts