Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still not really used to driving an automatic regularly, and the few other automatics I drive infrequently I don't notice this as much as I do the MDX - mostly my wife's CR-V or my Mom's CX-5 and former CX-9.

When I slow down to turn onto another street, make the turn, then press on the gas to accelerate away from the corner - the MDX tends to stay in the gear it was in before the turn and slowly accelerates, figures out it needs to be in the next lower gear and so shifts down, then adequately accelerates away after the turn. The whole experience makes the car feel "laggy" to respond to the throttle. I know this is more of an automatic transmission software tuning issue though.

Has anyone found a solution to fix this? I don't know of any "sport" mode like some automatic cars have. Is there anything you can do to adjust the transmission to more aggressively downshift earlier? Can the Honda Diagnostic System tweak this?

I'm not sure if this would even address the weird sensation, but I've also wondered about one of those throttle pedal trickout devices like the "Roar Pedal" or "Pedal Commander". I know that doesn't fix the real cause, but I wondered if tricking the car to responding more aggressively to the throttle pedal would help.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I would recommend replacing the pressure switches, cleaning the transmission solenoid screens, ATF filter and fluid change first and foremost. This resolves a TON of issues that folks have with the trans not shifting as expected. Depending on what year MDX you have, it has an adaptive transmission and will learn how you drive. Granny driving = Granny downshifts. Takes at least 500 miles for the full adaptations to be learned.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would recommend replacing the pressure switches, cleaning the transmission solenoid screens, ATF filter and fluid change first and foremost. This resolves a TON of issues that folks have with the trans not shifting as expected. Depending on what year MDX you have, it has an adaptive transmission and will learn how you drive. Granny driving = Granny downshifts. Takes at least 500 miles for the full adaptations to be learned.
I have replaced the 3rd and 4th pressure switches with genuine Honda from AcuraPartsNow. Are there any others I've missed?

I will have to investigate how hard to clean the solenoid screens.

I did some research and thought I understood on my particular revision the transmission (2006 I think BDKA), the filter is on the torque converter side of the transmission and must be dropped to replace. This is one of the many things I'm angry at Honda engineers for. Is this incorrect?

I'm on my 3rd transmission drain and fill in 15k miles. I think I used genuine Honda, Idemitsu, then Maxlife, with the Lubegard supplement that was so recommended from back when these transmissions were flaming piles of dog crap. I also added a huge transmission cooler and a Magnefine filter.

The transmission has never felt bad as far as slipping or studder shifting, just not ready and proactive when I goose it. It does hold the RPMs high when accelerating which I like, but I'm pretty sure some have misinterpreted it as late shifts or slipping. I like it.

Every time I did the drain and fill, and the switch replacements, the shifts did feel a little quicker and more positive. But i've never noticed a change in its lack of aggressiveness to downshift.

I've disconnected the battery a bit, and I rapidly switch from granny to slightly aggressive driving, so perhaps it can't fully adapt to my style.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
See Post #4 for the filter:

You've done some excellent work! The screens are located on the solenoids, look at this image for reference, the screens with the dowels are on the AT CLUTCH SOLENOIDS AB and C:

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Pedal commander may make it downshift with less throttle position applied to make the car seem more sporty. Lots of folks with BMW's love it, same with 3G TL when they moved to drive by wire.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See Post #4 for the filter:

You've done some excellent work! The screens are located on the solenoids, look at this image for reference, the screens with the dowels are on the AT CLUTCH SOLENOIDS AB and C:
View attachment 115839
I'll check out the removal procedure on those solenoids. Have you done it to know if I should I have a new gasket on hand?

The filter I think I'm in the same position as post 7 & 8.

Good to know the good reviews on the pedal commander if I feel like going that way the next time I'm feeling flush with cash. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts