Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The good news is no humans were hurt. The bad news is that my insurance company considers my '05 MDX AWS Touring with Nav/DVD Entertainment a total loss. :crying2: Before the incident, this was a rock solid car. I'm the original owner. 190K on it. Never had any mechanical issues or accidents. I'd like to get this back on the road and drive it until the engine falls out.

Front bumper was cracked but is still firmly attached. Rear bumper and reinforcement were destroyed and there was some damage to the tail pipe and muffler.

Definitely need to get the muffler/tailpipe fixed but do I really need a rear bumper in Virginia?

Thoughts/comments are greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
How is the frame around the tailgate? if that is solid I would keep it... If the frame is bent? You are looking at a hefty repair bill.

·
Registered
162 Posts
So.. If I understand correctly... you have a front and rear bumper and tail pipes/exhaust issues .. thats it..???

How is the frame... IMO ... THAT will be the deciding factor...... my 2c

I was in a -sort of- same situation last june... my 07 Chevy Trailblazer needed : new CAT conv / full power steering replacement-service / new tires / and had already spent 500 to trouble shoot... the cost of repair outweighed the value of the SUV....
I my case I was not attached to the TB as you are attached to your DX.. therefore >> Hello 13 MDX :) :) :)
I never looked back.......

Get estimates... then make your decision....

J.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies so far. The initial repair estimate from the insurance company (based upon pictures uploaded through their app) was ~$4700. This included replacing front bumper, rear bumper, lift gate, and muffler.

The insurance company sent a total loss letter and offered me $5500. I called to talk to the claims admin and the other option is to keep the car, get the minimal repairs needed, and they would give me $5000 in this scenario. I can leave the front bumper and rear tailgate damaged. The front bumper is cracked and the rear tailgate is slightly dented but still closes. I can get a used rear bumper reinforcement and cover for the back for under $500. It looks like all the attachment points can be re-used based upon the pics (unless someone sees something more apparent). Not even sure that is necessary. I may be able to drive without a bumper in the state of Virginia. I would definitely need to get the muffler and tail pipe fix to ensure it extends past the undercarriage.

My big concern is FRAME DAMAGE. The only immediate signs of it are on the left side where the rear door gap is narrow and the door edge scrapes when I close it. Any other ideas on how to detect frame damage?

Attachments

·
Registered
726 Posts
IF I could keep the car and get 5K...that seems like a no brainer to me....if you can't fix it for a reasonable costs, you could junk it and still be ahead.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.