Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

First time SUV buyer

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  mdxstang 
#1 · (Edited)
I have always been Honda fan and considering purchasing an MDX now. I'm inclined towards the MDX (Tech Pkg) for more luxury and fancier features than a Pilot. I am looking for something in the sub CA$25,000 range and going by the used cars ads I think its fair to look at 2013-2016. I liked the jewel headlamps on the models 2014+ and prefer that over the 2013 look. I watched several YouTube reviews and learnt that there were several issues with the 2014 model. I was told that the 3rd gen has tranny issues in general and I am a little hesitant to go with the ZF transmission in the 2016 since that was the first year it was launched.

1. What years would you recommend purchasing (to minimize risk of any major issues surfacing post 6+ years of use)?

2. Is it true that kids' car seats cannot be setup in the third row in an MDX? If yes, the super tight third row leg room will be an issue for adults. Any suggestions for some other similar cars with better 3rd row leg room?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

#2 ·
I have always been Honda fan and considering purchasing an MDX now. I'm inclined towards the MDX (Tech Pkg) for more luxury and fancier features than a Pilot. I am looking for something in the sub CA$25,000 range and going by the used cars ads I think its fair to look at 2013-2016. I liked the jewel headlamps on the models 2014+ and prefer that over the 2013 look. I watched several YouTube reviews and learnt that there were several issues with the 2014 model. I was told that the 3rd gen has tranny issues in general and I am a little hesitant to go with the ZF transmission in the 2016 since that was the first year it was launched.

1. What years would you recommend purchasing (to minimize risk of any major issues surfacing post 6+ years of use)?

2. Is it true that kids' car seats cannot be setup in the third row in and MDX? If yes, the super tight third row leg room will be an issue for adults. Any suggestions for some other similar cars with better 3rd row leg room?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Car seats that don't require lower anchor attachment but use seat belts can be installed in 3rd row provided that they physically fit in the space.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I have an early 2014, built June 2013, that I've had for 8 years and 74K miles. The vehicle has been absolutely reliable - I've needed to do nothing other than normal maintenance such as fluid changes, etc. The vehicle still looks and feels new and in retrospect it was a great purchase.

Every generation of almost every vehicle has 'some' transmission problems on 'some' vehicles. So far mine (6 speed) has been great - no issues.

I've not tried to put a car seat in the 3rd row of the MDX but a big difference between the 2nd gen (2013) and 3rd gen (2014) is that in the 3rd gen the second row slides back and forth allowing better access to the third row and I think there's more room in the 3rd row in it as well. The 3rd row in the 2nd gen is noticeably more difficult to get in and out of and to actually use. Make sure you try this yourself before deciding on a 2nd gen.

The 3rd gen also gets better mileage than the 2nd gen if that's important to you. There are also a number of other differences.

For me it'd be a no brainer choice between the two - I'd go with the 3rd gen.

As to the 9 sp trans in the 2016 and later - some people have reported some issues but mostly with the feel of it rather than failures, although there have been some failures as there are with any trans in any vehicle model. Some of the issues were resolved with software updates. You should pay close attention to how it feels when you test drive it (do an extensive test drive on any vehicle you're purchasing) and see how it feels to you.

#4 · (Edited)
The 2010-2013 MDX has a big issue of oil consumption that can be as bad as 1 quart of oil per 1000 miles (oil change intervals are around 9000 miles). My 11 MDX uses about 1 1/2 qts of oil per 9000 mile oil change interval. Many owners trade/sell there 2010-2013 MDX around the same time the 7yr/105,000 miles timing belt is due. It can cost around $1200-$1800 depending if you DYI, local shop, or dealership. Some just skip the service and drive longer before trading the MDX. You really have to double-check the timing belt was done (timing belt, spark plugs, serpentine belt kit, oil change, coolant, water pump, valve adjustment). Another downside to the 07-13 MDX is city mpgs as low as 14-16 with 91 octane required. The 2nd Gen does great on the hwy at +20 mpgs at 70-75 mph. It just takes it all back in city driving.

You don't have the same issues with the +14 MDX compared to the previous gen MDX. You will see an improvement in mpgs, tech, styling, and being kid friendly in 2nd/3rd rows with the +14 MDX. I like the 14-15 MDX sh-awd Adv because of AcuraWatch, donut spare tire, and rear entertainment standard.

Reactions: hfm25
#6 ·
Avoid the 2013 for the aforementioned oil consumption issues.
2014+ models are quieter, larger, more fuel efficient, more refined ride quality, and won't look or feel "old" since that generation just ended production. Also, the jewel headlights provide fantastic illumination, xenons can't compare.
2014 and 2015 models use the same 6-speed transmission as the 2010-2013 MDX. Some members have had issues with those transmissions, most common is juddering. These models tend to do better with frequent fluid changes, but even that is no guarantee of longevity: Blew 2014 Acura MDX 6 Speed Transmission!!!
2016+ models with the 9 speed had software programming issues that caused the car to shift unpleasantly. Software updates are available to correct the rough shifting problem. If you test out an MDX that shifts harshly, just don't buy it. The early failures of this transmission was caused by coolant mixing with the ATF due to faulty transmission coolers, a problem which Acura has issued a fix for and has warrantied affected vehicles for 100k miles/10 years. Outside of the roughness complaints, there doesn't appear to be any trend of failures on these MDXs (so far).

#8 ·

I suggest 2015 and 2017+ model years. The ZF hasn't failed on me, after 58k miles and with 1 D&F and TSB 20-015 applied. I got a neighbor that has a 2018 Pilot Touring and a 2019 Pilot Touring, with 3 car seats in each.

2. Is it true that kids' car seats cannot be setup in the third row in an MDX? If yes, the super tight third row leg room will be an issue for adults. Any suggestions for some other similar cars with better 3rd row leg room?
My MDX for the first year of our ownership was literally used as a child vehicle transporting (i.e.: Carpooling a bunch of little kiddos from Elementary school to respective home). We had a car seat installed in the 3rd row for a 5 y/o and it was not an issue.

The 3rd row is literally uncomfortable for teens and adults, and I've personally sat in there the day after we bought ours and I preferred an Odyssey or Pilot if transporting adults and teens in the 3rd row.

#9 ·
Thank you each one of you for your valuable inputs. I really appreciate the advice and genuine feedback from personal experiences. After reading these responses I am planning to go with either a 2014 or a 2015 in light of all the positives highlighted above and these seem to fit the budget too. I will definitely explore the CPO option as well, as suggested by Donn.

What does electronic gremlin mean? An issue with the electronic parts or software?

#10 ·
What does electronic gremlin mean? An issue with the electronic parts or software?
It generally means a lurking problem that may not have appeared yet. In this context it'd mean an electronic problem with the transmission that may hit in the future - and sometimes it means something intermittent and difficult to replicate or find. I'm not sure there are any for you to worry about - just be sure to do an extensive test drive paying close attention to shifting, etc. as well as any other items on the vehicle. Some kind of warranty would help also - if not CPO then a dealer warranty that's included in the sale as standard - 'not' a third party extended warranty they might try to sell you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.