Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a chance to try out my MDX in fairly deep snow yesterday with the standard All-season Michelin tires and I was fairly impressed.

My last 2 SUV's were a Jeep Cherokee with "Select Trac" and a Grand Cherokee with "Quadra-Trac", both with fairly aggressive mud and snow tires, so I'm familiar with good winter performance. I was a little worried the MDX All-wheel drive and All-season tires might not be up to the task.

Well guys, there's nothing to worry about- the All-wheel drive AND the tires worked very well. When I pressed the gas pedal fairily strongly there was hardly any slip, so there's no need for true winter tires unless you're in really deep snow. This is a major relief, because I HATE buying, storing and mounting winter tires. Let it snow!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Chuck540Z3 said:
When I pressed the gas pedal fairily strongly there was hardly any slip, so there's no need for true winter tires unless you're in really deep snow.
Thanks for the report Chuck. Is it safe to assume you did NOT activate VTM-4 Lock mode, but rather you were letting the acceleration and/or front wheel slippage modes of VTM-4 operate automatically? Just curious :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Chuck I was up in your area last summer then travelled to Lake Louise,Banff,icelands parkway etc.It was the most beautiful place I have ever seen especially the view looking over pyto?lake

·
Registered
82 Posts
Chuck540Z3 said:
I got a chance to try out my MDX in fairly deep snow yesterday with the standard All-season Michelin tires and I was fairly impressed.

My last 2 SUV's were a Jeep Cherokee with "Select Trac" and a Grand Cherokee with "Quadra-Trac", both with fairly aggressive mud and snow tires, so I'm familiar with good winter performance. I was a little worried the MDX All-wheel drive and All-season tires might not be up to the task.

Well guys, there's nothing to worry about- the All-wheel drive AND the tires worked very well. When I pressed the gas pedal fairily strongly there was hardly any slip, so there's no need for true winter tires unless you're in really deep snow. This is a major relief, because I HATE buying, storing and mounting winter tires. Let it snow!
The Cross Terrains are also rated M+S. The rating is really quite useless because just about all tires are rated M+S nowadays, even all-seasons.

The reason why you would want winter tires is not for straight line acceleration, but for handling when turning or when braking. While all tires will get you up to speed, it has been shown that winter tires have a very significant advantage when it comes to turning or braking, especially on ice. This is why you see a lot of SUVs moving on the snow covered roads, but then later on in the ditches. The stock all-seasons are not up to the task of stopping the vehicle in the same manner.

There is just no way at this point in time, that the all-seasons (which are compromise tires) can match the winter tires in this respect.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No VTM-4 Lock-up

Yes, the VTM-4 was not in lock-up mode. I just hit the gas- nothing special.

As far as winter tires being better than all-season tires, there's no arguement from me- winter's are better. For the rare time they are really necessary, however, I'm not getting them. The all-season's do it for me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Chuck..driving in the same snow storm your were, I totally agree with your review of the tires. I too stepped on the gas and was very impressed with the traction. I must admit though, having the MDX for less than a week, I was quite "white-knuckled" driving on a snow covered Deerfoot on Saturday night!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bertzuni said:
"white-knuckled" driving on a snow covered Deerfoot on Saturday night!
I ALWAYS drive "white-knuckled" on Deerfoot, mostly due to all the knuckle heads that drive way too fast there.

Driving around again last night I tried to push my MDX a little more (no traffic) and I was still very pleased with how it handled. If I lived out in the country and experienced deep snow often I would go for the winter tires, but for most city and highway driving, the all-seasons are just fine.

BTW, did you get your interior light to work yet?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Re: No VTM-4 Lock-up

Chuck540Z3 said:
Yes, the VTM-4 was not in lock-up mode. I just hit the gas- nothing special.

Thanks Chuck. I'd be interested to hear what difference you notice (if any) if you were to floor it from a stop in deep snow with VTM-4 Lock activated (in 1st gear) v. flooring it without VTM-4 Lock activated. I'm wondering if the grip migt improve from "hardly any slip" in your first experiment to no slip. I will be conducting the same experiment (in mud) this Saturday when I go off-roading. Last time I went I couldn't really detect any wheel slip at all, but I always had it in 2nd gear VTM-4 Lock mode. This time I will try VTM-4 Lock in 1st gear and turn it off just to see what happens when I floor it from a complete stop :)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Thanks Chuck. It is a great news for us in the south who only see snow once or twice a year. We are not as experienced in driving on snow when it happens. We see slipery road after some days of dry weather or storms. This is great news - nice validation of the car's performance.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Has anyone had any experience with the Goodyear Integrity's in Snow/Ice conditions? Going up to the Mnt's in the next coupl-a weeks, and I'm curious what I might be in for. There's an M+S rating on side.

Gator
BTW, I did read your post re. the hood deflector. No chance to photo yet. I did not get it through Tim, although it may be the one he carries. The manf. is FormFit, out of Canada. Got it from Auto Seattle for $90-. It's a real nice piece and goes on in a bout 15 min. The hardware comes with mounting screws (holes are already under hood) clips, and bumpers. The part does not rest directly on car at all. Super sturdy when mounted. I will try and photo install closeups for you.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm curious as to how the Goodyears hold up in ice too. Can anyone post any experiences good or bad on ice and/or snow with the Goodyears.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes Chuck..I'm not sure what did it, but the interior light is now working properly. So far I'm loving the vehicle. But I have one (and hopefully the last) stupid question. When you use the remote locks, should the seats automatically go into the specified position (1 or 2)? It seems that this isn't happening, and after my wife (who is number 1...of course) drives it, the next time I hop in, I have to push the number 2 button. I thought that this would be automatic when using the number 2 remote. Again...probably something I am doing wrong.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bertzuni said:
When you use the remote locks, should the seats automatically go into the specified position (1 or 2)? It seems that this isn't happening, and after my wife (who is number 1...of course) drives it, the next time I hop in, I have to push the number 2 button. I thought that this would be automatic when using the number 2 remote.
Sorry, I don't know, since my wife and I like the seat adjusted to the same settings (I'm a short a$$).

I'd be surprised if they do at all, however, since this is kinda sophisticated stuff that BMW and MB usually have, but Acura/Honda's don't.

If I'm wrong, get ready for 20 guys telling me I'm stupid and I don't know squat!:D

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Yes, the seat (and mirror) memory settings can be linked to the remote. You probably have to enable it. The instructions are on the back of the remote.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
TheWorm said:
Yes, the seat (and mirror) memory settings can be linked to the remote. You probably have to enable it. The instructions are on the back of the remote.
Whew! Thank goodness the moderator corrected me first.

And he didn't even call me stupid!:p

·
Registered
339 Posts
I am still experiencing. Based on my salesman's demo, the remote does not move the seat. The seat moves only when you open the door and go with the right remote (L1 or L2). That is what the memory seat is for.

·
Registered
679 Posts
gto-dave said:
Gator
BTW, I did read your post re. the hood deflector. No chance to photo yet. I did not get it through Tim, although it may be the one he carries. The manf. is FormFit, out of Canada. Got it from Auto Seattle for $90-. It's a real nice piece and goes on in a bout 15 min. The hardware comes with mounting screws (holes are already under hood) clips, and bumpers. The part does not rest directly on car at all. Super sturdy when mounted. I will try and photo install closeups for you.
Thanks for the info gto-dave, I look forward to more pics :)

·
Registered
608 Posts
mdxwannabe said:
Chuck I was up in your area last summer then travelled to Lake Louise,Banff,icelands parkway etc.It was the most beautiful place I have ever seen especially the view looking over pyto?lake
You're talking about Peyto Lake, between Banff and Jasper. I've got some pics; I'll try to post later.

Love the Michelins in the snow and ice. I've never had a 4WD or AWD before; I was (almost) looking forward to the snow! Can't believe how good the traction is. Tried out the VTM-lock. No noticeable difference when it is on or off from a standing start; perhaps that's because the X engages all 4 wheels from a standing start regardless of the road conditions. Just gotta remember that stopping in these conditions isn't any easier than with any other vehicle.

As for the memory seat -- I know that mine go to the memory settings with a push of whatever remote we're using, so, it works!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I agree the Michelin's perform well

Last april, I had the chance to have my MDX in about 8 inches of untouched new snow on some city streets, and I was very impressed w/the Cross Terrains. My previous vehicle, an Outback Ltd. w/Michelin XW4's, was, IMHO, terrible in the snow. The Subaru did its best, but the tires just sucked.

The Cross Terrains on the MDX did a great job on all three major points, acceleration, braking and cornering. I am very impressed w/the MDX and the Michelins in the snow, i guess the "defeat winter" motto rings true.

----------
2001 MDX Touring arrived Feb 2001, Thule bike rack, flaps, Black/saddle

2001 VW Jetta Wolfsburg ed. 1.8Turbo Galactic Blue

·
Registered
15 Posts
Goodyear Integrity

<<Has anyone had any experience with the Goodyear Integrity's in Snow/Ice conditions? Going up to the Mnt's in the next coupl-a weeks, and I'm curious what I might be in for. There's an M+S rating on side. Gator >>

Yes, my second time this winter on snow/ice. No problems. My previous 4WD Dodge pickup truck didn't handle slick conditions any better. Pushing the accelerator on ice at about 20 MPH produced stable increase in speed. I plowed through about 8 inches of new snow with no noticeable wheel slip. I also tried out the VTM-4 lock feature on my steep driveway. I stopped, shifted to 2nd gear, pushed the lock button and drove into my garage without any noticeable wheel slip.

Regards, Jim

1 - 20 of 21 Posts