Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a 5-7 inch snowfall here in Nashville yesterday. The gridlock was incredible. Several hundred accidents, people in ditches. My X was fantastic! Not so much as a slide or a skid. I was on one back road and came upon a few trucks pulled over. They told me to turn around because even 4 wheel drives couldnt make it up. I tried it anyway, and went straight up it without any problems whatsoever. The folks at the bottom of the hill were just astonished. Unbelievable performance by my MDX! I couldnt even make it slip or spin when I wanted to. This is the ultimate in snow vehicles!!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Wow~~~ 5~7 inches... that is a lot. We only have half to an inch of snow. Yes, MDX performs very nicely on the snow~~~ :2:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Did you engage the VTM-4 lock button?

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I was skiing a few weeks ago and returned to the parking lot to find about 8 inches of fresh unplowed snow. I was prepared to hit the VTM button as I left but never had to.

The MDX so far has exceeded my expectations in the snow.

·
Registered
64 Posts
sweetness!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
spain said:
nope. didnt have to..
Excuse my brain fart. i did engage it when I went up that supposedly difficult hill..

·
Registered
259 Posts
Thats awesome! The X rocks!

2003 SS MDX - cdn model - res,back up sensor,cargo net,Husky all weather floor mats and cargo tray

·
Registered
83 Posts
WOW!!

Spain, that's incredible! And great news to boot. I'm wondering what your (or anyone's) advice would be for me....I'm planning a trip to Lake Tahoe (Sierra-Nev Mtns) in Feb, and often times have been that time of year and it snowed quite heavily. In the past, I've always needed chains, both going up the mountain and getting "around town" once there. Do you think I could do without chains in my MDX? I just have the standard Michelin tires that came with the 02 Touring model.

lilypad

·
Registered
70 Posts
I found out that using the vtm in snow helps a lot. But the vtm only works under 18 mph. If acura can make this to under 40, that's excellent!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: WOW!!

lilypad said:
Spain, that's incredible! And great news to boot. I'm wondering what your (or anyone's) advice would be for me....I'm planning a trip to Lake Tahoe (Sierra-Nev Mtns) in Feb, and often times have been that time of year and it snowed quite heavily. In the past, I've always needed chains, both going up the mountain and getting "around town" once there. Do you think I could do without chains in my MDX? I just have the standard Michelin tires that came with the 02 Touring model.

lilypad
Yesterday was the 1st day I had it in snow. Actually I had a 8:30 meeting and it was clear outside. By the time the meeting was over at 10:00 and I went outside, we already had a couple inches. It never snows that much or that fast in Nashville. As for the chains, I really dont think you need them with this vehicle. Nashville doesnt have any mountains but the terrain is what we call rolling hills. After the performance I got, I cant imagine you needing chains though.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks Spain!

...for that info! Good to know! Can't wait to try it out :)

lilypad

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm planning a trip to Lake Tahoe (Sierra-Nev Mtns) in Feb, and often times have been that time of year and it snowed quite heavily. In the past, I've always needed chains, both going up the mountain and getting "around town" once there. Do you think I could do without chains in my MDX? I just have the standard Michelin tires that came with the 02 Touring model.
You had best minimally carry cables. I live in Sac and know that if chain requirements are in effect on I-80 or Rt -50 and you don't have any with you then you have 2 choices; (1) buy chains from the chain guys at the disignated chain-up areas or (2) turn around as they will NOT let you use the road, the CHP and CalTrans will see to it. The Sierra is VERY UNPREDICTABLE at all times and has very dangerous white-out conditions frequently. Play it safe, buy some cables. It is a magnificent area and to be respected for it's beauty and challanges. Don't ruin your good time with bad jugement. They're pretty cheap too. When you do buy them, put one set on at home so you have practice. Be sure to carry a pair of pliers or vice grips with you on your ski trips to help you out puttin the dang things on in the snow, you'll be thankfull you have them with you. Oh yeh, carry a flashlight that works too, hehe. I've been an avid skier for more than 25 yrs, pls take this friendly advice seriously.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I forgot to mention that as long as your tires have that little snowflake symbol on them CalTrans will let you pass if the road is lighlty snowy (they will check your tires). But it is when conditions are terrible and the chain requirements become manditory, that is when you will be required to have the cables WITH the snow rated tires. Sometimes they will let you go without the snow symbol but do have on chains tho. Depends on who is working that day. If you haven't been there in the snowstorms, CalTrans has a coupla locations along the highway that are widened so that trucks and passenger vehicles are pulled over by state employees that check your tires before they let you go on. Believe me, it is for the publics own good that they do this as it may look OK at whatever elevation your at but a coupla hundred feet up (few miles down the road) things could change like in a nightmare. It is beautiful tho, just take it slow, don't correct your steering fast, and stay off the brakes, just lightly pump em. Have fun ;)

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
microman, it looks like I will....

microman said:
I forgot to mention that as long as your tires have that little snowflake symbol on them CalTrans will let you pass if the road is lighlty snowy (they will check your tires). But it is when conditions are terrible and the chain requirements become manditory, that is when you will be required to have the cables WITH the snow rated tires. Sometimes they will let you go without the snow symbol but do have on chains tho. Depends on who is working that day. If you haven't been there in the snowstorms, CalTrans has a coupla locations along the highway that are widened so that trucks and passenger vehicles are pulled over by state employees that check your tires before they let you go on. Believe me, it is for the publics own good that they do this as it may look OK at whatever elevation your at but a coupla hundred feet up (few miles down the road) things could change like in a nightmare. It is beautiful tho, just take it slow, don't correct your steering fast, and stay off the brakes, just lightly pump em. Have fun ;)
.....need some good sound advice from a veteran like you!! :D ......First off, I'm really tickled that the MDX does so well in snowy/icy conditions.......Lately, I've been itching to "play" with my MDX in snow and ice. I've been all over the web trying to find out where I could go from the Los Angeles area in search of snow-storm-like conditions with tons of snow, ice etc. Big Bear is the closest to where I live but it seems too tame!......Brian Head in Utah seems interesting......and what you guys are referring to in Northern Cal, is the same as Mammoth Lakes, Right?? ........Can you give me some suggestions on my quest for finding a ton of snow and ice to drive on??

Secondly, on the cables/chains issue, would the Cross Terrains be considered a "snow" tire?? (can't seem to find a "snowflake" on it) .......I also read in the manual that you cannot use CHAINS (only cables) on the MDX as they would damage the suspension, Right?? So for all practical purposes does the CHP/Caltrans consider cables same as chains??

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Everyone;

Just thought I would add my comments about driving my new 03 MDX in the recent snowstorm. I left Clarksville, TN on I 24 Thursday morning at 1130. By then we had about five inches of the white stuff on the ground. It took four hours to get to I 40 in Nashville just 45 miles away. I 24 was a parking lot most of the way. Once I got to I 40, I turned east and drove the next seven hours to Charlotte NC. I did not engage the VTM lock during the 500 mile trip and the MDX never missed a step. If you drive like you have half a brain in the snow the VTM and VSA system on the 03 MXD will get you about anywhere you want to go.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thank you mircoman....

for that very detailed and wise advice. I've been going up I-50 before in a snow storm when they were requiring chains....but I thought perhaps that the X would be able to handle it...didn't think about the CHP and caltrans restrictions, but now that you mention it I remember how strict they were! Thanks for prodding my memory. And btw, you are VERY right about the beauty of that area...it's just incredible!:D

Curious about what vicpai said re: cables....I take it the chp would let you through with them? Didn't know you HAD to use cables on the X though!

Vicpai....if you're looking for snow in Calif....somewhere around Lake Tahoe in February is definately gonna get you some!! ENJOY!

lilypad

·
Registered
203 Posts
would the Cross Terrains be considered a "snow" tire?? (can't seem to find a "snowflake" on it) .......I also read in the manual that you cannot use CHAINS (only cables) on the MDX as they would damage the suspension, Right?? So for all practical purposes does the CHP/Caltrans consider cables same as chains??
Vicpai - Pardon my brain fart. Tires designed for use in the snow contain the snowflake. Our CrossTerrains do not carry the snowflake as they are a crossover, a meld of a snow tire wanna-be and a touring tire. I believe that some aggressive All-Terrain type tires may currently carry the snowflake or did in the past. In Northern Cal as long as the tire reads "Cross Terrain" or "All Terrain", exhibit a snowflake or are obviously a snow tire (without the snowflake) they will let you through. Cables are definately satisfactory for use where chains cannot be used according to CalTrans requirements. You are correct, do not use chains on the at any time. If the cables cannot get you through on the X then you shouldn't have tried it in the first place, hehe. Just use good sense, if it is reeeeeeeeeelly deep then the snow will pack up underneath and nothing will work, always use good judgement. We are talking highway driving here not off road in the winter right ? This is not a hummer or jacked up Blazer with swamp tires!

......and what you guys are referring to in Northern Cal, is the same as Mammoth Lakes, Right?? ........Can you give me some suggestions on my quest for finding a ton of snow and ice to drive on??
I have never been to Mammoth Lakes region so I cannot comment on that location. You will find snow anywhere in the Sierra in the Tahoe general region along the spine of the mountain range. Tahoe can get a couple hundred inches of snow in the winter. There is snow everywhere. Get off the main roads and you will ealily be travelling sorta plowed streets and find unplowed stuff too. There may be too much here for just messing around. Locals and everyone take this snow very serious here. Elevaton at the lake is 6,200 feet and so most areas are at least that high. With this elevation snow squalls or worse can quickly pass through at any time. Weather is naturally unpredictable so no guarantees of the fresh stuff, unless you don't want it or your on a trip and left the cables home.

And btw, you are VERY right about the beauty of that area...it's just incredible!
My wife and I mountain bike the Tahoe basin area in the dry months and also ski. I could not possible dream of creating the endless beauty that this area contains. If there are other places more beautiful than this then I really don't care. It is breathtakingly beautiful, and should be preserved for all to enjoy.
Try this area in the summer. Get off the main roads and get into the back country, you'll have memories to last forever. I should post a pic I took last summer of the Golden bear that we came accross, pretty cool :eek:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts