Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, this is my first time posting on this site... I actually found out about it a few weeks ago, and have been trying to access it at my college, but Netscape doesn't seem to want to load it up. Took me a while to find a computer with Internet Explorer on it (maybe a project for the webmaster to tackle, figure out what was wrong with Netscape)... sorry, I get side tracked easily...

Anyway, I am 19 years old... Now this does not mean that I'm any less mature than you "41+" people :D hehe... My dad ordered a 2001 'Something' Silver MDX from Curry Acura in Westchester County, NY and we got it in about 4 months... I think. Not really sure of the exact wait. Forgot about it by this point in time.

Now, he TRIES to take care of it and everything... but I'm the one who actually talked him into buying it because I absolutely love this truck and also the one who keeps it clean for the most part. It looks amazing, handling's great, smooth engine, lots of cargo (and people) room... Obviously all of you know all these things already, but I just felt like sharing my feelings here... excuse me... *sniffle* :) Sorry, I get a little weepy when I talk about my baby :D

I've only driven it a couple of times, but one of those was from Rockland to Toronto, and back... so I've had my fair share of time behind the wheel... couldn't really floor it though cuz my dad would kill me. Have yet to take it out by myself. Don't worry the time will come... Muhahaha... uhm... yeah... back to the... uhm... yeah... :D

So since I'm a brand new newbie (as opposed to an old newbie)here, I have a couple of questions... What is the actual color of the truck in my Sig? :) What in the world is a BSM... I think that's the acronym someone used when talking about dents on doors or something like that... I'm probably wrong...

My dad has already had a minor mishap with it. While parallel parking somewhere, he scraped the driver side front rim. He got home, and I looked at him, and I said "What the... ... ... what is this?" He's a pastor, I had to refrain from cursing :) So now, I'm afraid that if he drives it in the snow (no worry of that anytime soon), the salt will eat into the rim and we'll end up with the same problem we had on our Avalon, which is, the rim's coating flaked off and it is not, uhm, coated anymore :p You know what I mean? That slightly greasy feeling... it's gone on the Avalon rim, and I don't want it to happen to the X... any ideas or suggestions (anyone even know what the hell I'm talking about?)

I've only read a couple of posts on here. One is the thread on accidents and the other was by some crazy guy named MDXtrous :D GOOD LORD, THAT'S A SICK TRUCK... How in the world did you do the Navi screen to Video conversion? Too bad my dad won't want any mods on his truck. I think I could talk him into that one though. One question though, your nav system still works right? Or else it would be kind of pointless. Isn't there a DVD reader already under the passenger seat for the nav system? Did you have to wire in a separate DVD player? So many questions (cuz I'm so curious)... so little time...

The only problem I have with this truck so far is that it's slightly wide and barely fits in our two car, TWO DOOR (thank God) garage. Also, I can't open the tailgate inside my garage. If the garage door is closed, we have about 4 inche of clearance behind the truck and about a foot and a half in front... kinda cutting it close. If the garage door is open, it ends up rolling to a stop right above the truck (this is normal for most garages) but the problem is that it's not up high enough that I can open my tailgate. If I do, my rear wiper and ACURA logo will end up having some words with the garage door.

More questions will come with time. Eventually, I will rule the world. Or at least know a lot about *ahem* 'my' truck. You guys seem like a great bunch and hopefully I'll benefit from the wisdom of elders here :D The only other web community I know of with people as helpful and friendly as here is the board for the Mitsubishi 3000GT and Dodge Stealth which is located at

www.3si.org/vbb/index.php

I am Firebird1282 on that site, but I haven't been there in about... oh... 6 or 7 months... school keeps me busy

--Steve

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Damn

That was long :D

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Welcome!

You will probably will probably figure it out, but BSM == <u>B</u>ody <u>S</u>ide <u>M</u>ouldings.

As you are the "primary care giver" to your family X you will want to check out the detailing threads.

Don't know it anybody here has yet (admitted to) biffing their wheel bad enough to scrape through the clear coat, but that is DEFINATELY worth posting as a seperate thread -- maybe in the Detailing or Maintence sections...

You can search for the "history" of conversionions/upgrades like MDXtrous' but in a nut shell, the NAV DVD player is pumping out data, there is no MPEG conversion/video card to drive the display. The display is running RGB data stream from NAV system. In theory, you could tap into the data stream and run it through an MPEG converter that has the proper RGB multiplex output back to the screen, but no such device exists (yet...). It therefore necessary to add a 'real' DVD player that outputs a video signal then use an adapter to drive the screen. Pretty slick for now.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Welcome, NYMALU, and I wish I had a 19 year old son that I could order to clean and Zaino my MDX! :D

Enjoy, and welcome to the board...
Rob :31:

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Robyjo said:
Welcome, NYMALU, and I wish I had a 19 year old son that I could order to clean and Zaino my MDX! :D

Enjoy, and welcome to the board...
Rob :31:
Well, he would have it a lot easier with something like Zaino then I did waxing my dad's car with DuPont something or rather, might as well been Kiwi shoe polish.
I can remember when liquid Turtle Wax was considered a revolution in car care.
Rally of course, very soft and gone after the first good rain.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
That would be Starlight Silver, or SS as we affectionately call it...

Good choice for the old man, now you can work on outfitting him with side steps, deflector, DVD and sound upgrade, etc.

Have fun!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice

ghost said:
That would be Starlight Silver, or SS as we affectionately call it...

Good choice for the old man, now you can work on outfitting him with side steps, deflector, DVD and sound upgrade, etc.

Have fun!
Hey, thanks for the help ghost... I am not a big fan of exterior mods. I like the look of the truck as it is on the outside. But our dealer was relentless in his pursuit of at least $4 Gs in options :eek: My dad being clergy, he has this way of talking to people... somehow talked him down to $2 grand... I talked to other people who got their X's from Curry, and they all paid the 4 grand in options, and it's not like my dad had it easy talking them down. Dunno how he did it, and not going to ask.

But we still needed $2000 in options. Like I said, exterior mods aren't my thing, but I thought the side steps looked a lot better than the running boards, so we got those. (It was one or the other) I really don't like the look of the tailgate deflector, especially not in "TIRE BLACK" and I'm glad we didn't get it. I think the truck looks really nice as it is. The other stuff is up to my dad, cuz I'm broke :eek:

DVD upgrade is really out of the question. I would love it, but he's one of those people who thinks drivers should concentrate on nothing but the road (which I agree with). He goes into fits of rage when he sees people driving while shaving, or ladies applying their make-up... Things like that. And if we had that DVD player, it would be a big distraction for him.

gshermy:
I live in Tappan, and I graduated class of 2000 from Tappan Zee High School. Where are you located?

renov8r:
I really don't know the extent of the damage to the wheel. When I looked at it, all I saw was a couple of scratches, and they seemed white, so I assumed that it cut through the clear coat. :3: However, it was kinda dark, so I could be wrong. I'll check it out when he gets home today from work. The dangers of driving in NYC...

--Steve

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
NYMALU said:
I've only read a couple of posts on here. One is the thread on accidents and the other was by some crazy guy named MDXtrous :D GOOD LORD, THAT'S A SICK TRUCK... How in the world did you do the Navi screen to Video conversion? Too bad my dad won't want any mods on his truck. I think I could talk him into that one though. One question though, your nav system still works right? Or else it would be kind of pointless. Isn't there a DVD reader already under the passenger seat for the nav system? Did you have to wire in a separate DVD player? So many questions (cuz I'm so curious)... so little time...
Hey Steve,

Welcome to the board. It is pretty exciting to get into this friendly and helpful board. It's made the whole experience of owning an MDX that much better:)

First of all, thanks for the complement, I think I should take "crazy guy" as a complement right? Just to answer your questions, the Navi takes RGB input, therefore a decoder was needed to convert RCA signals to RGB signals. This was done with something made by Pioneer, called the AVC-RGB1, but it's currently out of production. I think the Navi DVD unit not being able to play movies has been explained already. My navi still works. There is a switch on the dash that switches between video and navi. Even in video mode, the navi voice still works, and the touch screen still works, even though I can't really read the screen. I installed a dvd player under the driver seat. Here are the details of the whole install:

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5662&pagenumber=4

·
Registered
31 Posts
Steve,

I grew up in wesley hills and now live in southern california. I hear rockland county sure has changed in the last ten years

gary

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gshermy2 said:
Steve,

I grew up in wesley hills and now live in southern california. I hear rockland county sure has changed in the last ten years

gary
OK, I have NO CLUE where Wesley Hills is... sorry. The only places I know around here are the little villages in Orangetown like Tappan, Orangeburg, Blauvelt and the sort, and also Nyack, Nanuet, Spring Valley, places near there... That's about it. And about the whole 10 years thing, don't know about that either. I moved here in January of '98, and before that, I lived in the bronx; never really thought that there was a place called Rockland :D On the whole, I find it very boring. This is why I go to the city as often as possible...

MDXtrous, you're right, it was a compliment :D

--Steve

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Steve welcome to our family

I wish I had a dad that would of bought an MDX and let me have access to use it. I would consider myself very lucky and I'm sure you do. It could be a love machine for you at that age. I'm sure your going to love and your friends will be very jealous, unless there driving porshe's and bmw's. The girls will love it and I'm sure you will get lucky while driving to school. Best of luck with the SUV and if you have any question search our database ot just ask the question, we are all here to assist you. Take it easy. The navagation is the ultimate toy a must for the SUV.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
used to live in the Bronx right off the Pelham Parkway. It was close enough to subway for me to get anywhere. That, to me, is the greatest advantage of living in the city... go anywhere for a buck fifty... Friends having a party down in Brooklyn? That'll be $1.50 please. :D

Paul, if my dad would let me drive the damn thing by myself, then maybe it could be a love machine... but no such luck yet. I have told a few girls about the truck :) It's quite funny actually. One of them lives in Tennessee. She wants me to drive down so she can see it. I'm down for a road trip anytime. It's very rare to find a girl like that who's really into cars (She's really into cars :D) So far, only one of my friends drives a porsche or bimmer, a used M3... still a nice car, but I'd kill for the new one... Mmmmmmmm3 in BLACK. Nice. Take it easy guys (and girls).

--Steve

·
Registered
91 Posts
Welcome to the board. I too wish I had a 19 year old to take care of my MDX. The only thing is, 19 year olds are kinda expensive to feed, cloth, shelter, and educate...

Hope that you get to drive the MDX often. Now is time to convince your dad that he also needs a TL-Type S as a back up car since the MDX is sooo un-reliable!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts