Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My X is 3 months old and has about 3600 miles. There are 2 Acura dealers close by. I checked with each about changing the oil and filter at 3700 miles. Both service depts. said there is special break-in oil in the new MDX. One said I should not change this oil until 7500 miles, while the other said it's OK to change it at 3700 miles. I told them I usually change oil in my vehicles at 3000 miles because of the short distances my wife normally drives (less than 5 miles each way). Which service dept. is right?

There are also 2 Honda dealers that are close by. Has anyone brought their MDX to these dealers for oil changes? For warranty and major services, I would use the Acura dealer or maybe an independent repair shop that specializes in Acuras.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
frequent short distance driving = severe service = 3750mi

and yes, there is break-in oil. severe service nonetheless.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Called a local dealer and he said that first oil change is at 7500m and they go with the manaul and I told him that I only drive my X on the weekend so I don't consider that as severe. Also my brother-in-law who has a CL went change his first oil on 7500m.:7:

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
My advice is to wait until the 7500 for the first oil change. The original oil has a high concentration of molybdenum disulfide (moly) to assist in engine break-in. I'd stick with the 3K-ish intervals after that.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Tim,

What you say makes sense; HOWEVER, the manual says that the oil is to be changed every 7,500 miles OR 6 months, WHICHEVER COMES FIRST.

So what do we do here?? As I read it, failure to change oil in the 1st six months indicates that you are not following manufacturers maintenance schedule.

We are just finishing 5 months, so I really would like your opinion.

FYI ... Local dealer said 1st oil change within 6 months!! Additionally, same dealer said that VTM change could wait until 7,500 miles [book didn't say anything about 6 mos here!!].

... Thanks in advance

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Personally, I think Acura is using a break-in oil made to last the 7500 miles for non-severe service. That sounds like a
contradication though. (A tougher oil for less severe service?)
I feel confident that modern engines are considered 'broken in' by 3750 miles, and changing at that time will not result in any problems, now or down the line, when the engine has some real miles on it. That's just my opinion.

·
Registered
102 Posts
first oil change

my dealer in Connecticut advised coming in for my first free servicing at 3750. I have to assume the engine is "broken in" at 3750. He then explained to come at 7500 for second oil change and that VTM (sic?) lube change. Then following the 7500 intervals(15000, 22500, etc. for oil changes) I myself am gonna get an oil change every 4000 milesgive or take a few miles! How much does an Acura dealer charge for an oil change?
If its around $40., I might decide to use my local well trusted mechanic to install one of Tims oil filters ($5.?) with 6 quarts of Mobil 1 ($21. from costco) and throw my mechanic $10-$15 to do it. Does anyone advise against this? What about using a Mobil 1 Oil Filter? are they better than the Acura filters Tim offers?
one last question: what if I use my Mobil 1 most of the time for 3k oil changes but every now and then, when additional servicing is needed and I go to my Acura dealer, having them do the oil change. Is going back and forth (occasionally) from Mobil 1 to Acura Oil a bad idea? or no problem whatsoever? jeez, i feel like a broad, i could go on rambling for hours......:2:

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
Well, first off, Acura branded motor oil is non-synthetic and made by Mobil, of course the dealer chooses what they actually use (we use Pennzoil here). Most dealers, us included, do offer a Mobil 1 synthetic oil change.

I'd tend to agree that leaving the break-in oil for 7500 may seem unsettling, but that's what I'd do, unless you really don't put many miles on (for example, if it would take a year to reach that level). I myself am opinionated when it comes to oil changes, example being that if you change your oil regularly and don't live in a hot climate, I personally feel that synthetic oil is of no added value, reason being that the only advantage of a synthetic is that resists thermal breakdown of viscosity longer as opposed to a crude or parrafinnic refined natural oil.

J

·
0 Posts
Marfong:

I used a Honda dealer for my first oil, filter and VTM-4 change (5600 miles -- six months as stated in manual). Very friendly dealer. No problems. They got VTM-4 fluid from Acura when I scheduled the change. It took them 1hr. to do both changes while I waited. Charge was $73.00 total. They changed all washers and used Castrol 5w-30 oil. MDX now has 9200 miles with no problems since change. Next VTM-4 change wiill be at 2 year level (probably about 19,000 miles) and two years after that. After warranty expires I will go to 30,000 miles between VTM-4 fluid changes regardless of mileage. I will be going with 5000 mile oil changes (or six months) as all my driving is on the highway. I will be using Honda dealer for all fluid changes and Acura if I need work done under warranty. If Acura will allow Honda dealer to do warranty work I will use them for that also since they will have experience on the Pilot. Acura dealer -- 110 miles, Honda dealer 20 miles plus a lot cheaper labor.

Regards,

Johnnyreb
New Market, VA

·
Registered
17 Posts
I picked up my new MDX a few weeks ago. The Acura dealer recommended that the oil be changed after the first 1000 miles. This seemed a little low. I questioned him on it but he highly suggested it. The oil change was free along with a thorough check of the vehicle. They suggested the next change be at 3750 miles. The mileage for the first change is low compared to what other dealers recommend. Not sure what to believe anymore. I purchased a case of filters from Tim with the intention of doing the rest myself.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
The manual states 3750 for severe service, and 7500 for normal service, and both services are well-defined. I do a lot of less-than-5-mile driving, so I use the severe schedule (plus, I'm from the "old school" that believes in frequent oil and filter changes). BTW, when we bought my wife's '99 Accord three years ago, the Honda dealer said we should NOT change the factory oil before 3750 miles.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi Marfong...

I also have a Honda dealer/service dept. in closer proximity than my Acura dealer. When my 'X was on order, I asked them about Honda dealers performing the service, they said no problem. They just suggested I keep several oil filters from Acura dealer to provide to the Honda dealer for the service. For the record (now that I have my 'X), I will have all service performed at my Acura dealer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Oil change intervals

I've had my MDX for about 2 weeks. I plan to change the break-in oil at 3750, per manitenance spec's. I've heard different schools of thought on use of synthetic oil in these engines. The dealership from whom I acquired the vehicle said 'don't bother'.....stay with conventional oil. If you're changing your oil frequently, there's no point.

As far as use of synthetics go however, German vehicles don't recommend using them until about 15000 miles, giving ample time for piston rings / valves / etc. to seat properly. They need the added friction of conventional oil to do so. So Tim, regarding your thread on use of Mobil 1....let's have your thoughts. FYI, I typically use Castrol oils in my vehicles (my others are German).:rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I always used Castrol premium on anything before I used synthetics. Excellent oil in my opinion.

Synthetics give you higher and lower temp extreme protection. However, these are extremes you will likely never see. Synthetics are designed and 'built' to perform many tasks that conventional oils require additional additives (during refining) to perform as well. But your engine knows of little difference, will be happy with either.
It's personal choice. Myself, I like the added margin of synthetics.

Which German car makers say wait until 15000 miles? Porsche is filled at the factory with Mobil 1 synthetic.
As are Corvettes (in America).
Those engines are probably 'run in' longer during production, so do not require extensive break in upon delivery.

I would say at 3750 miles and beyond, use either a premium multigrade oil, synthetic or non synthetic. Your choice. Lot of discussion on the subject of oils.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Quaker State blend

FYI: my dealer uses Quaker State 4x4, a blend (synthetic and natural) specially formulated for 4x4 vehicles.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Re: Quaker State blend

msu79gt82 said:
FYI: my dealer uses Quaker State 4x4, a blend (synthetic and natural) specially formulated for 4x4 vehicles.
Formulated for 4X4? Wonder if the engine knows any different. Sorry, no offense, just sounds like a marketing ploy. Not knocking the oil, as all premum motor oils, blends, or full syns are bound to be similar to others well known.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Seeing all this discussion on oil changes reminded me of the Consumers Report Article on this very subject. The bottom line was all oils did a good job at protecting engines in NYC taxi cabs, and it did not matter if you changed the oil at 3,000 or 6,000 miles. So if you want to save money and maintain your warranty just change your oil and filter at 7,500 miles. I found a link to the old article at http://www.xs11.com/stories/croil96.htm .This article is from 1996 and oil has come a long way since then. If you are still worried that yours is severe service, then use Mobil 1 Synthetic and you will be fine even at 7,500 between changes. Just my thoughts.

Greg in Hotlanta

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Re: Marketing Ploy

I agree with you 100%, but since our first 6 oil changes are free at our dealer all I can say is the price is right:cool: and I love their marketing gimmick:2:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts