Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When did you guys do your first oil change? 3,000 miles? I know the first change is crucial because supposedly that's when all the metal shavings from manufacturing get cleared out into the oil. Should I also do it at the dealership? And if so how much do you guys pay for oil changes at the dealer?

Can I do it myself at home? Do these cars require some special oil or is it the same as any other car/honda? I'm coming from some hyundais and i've done it myself at home and used synthetic

Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
I did it on my '14 when the remaining oil life got below 10%. You can change it yourself, all you need for the oil change is oil, filter, and a new aluminum crush washer for the drain bolt. You can get the crush washer from the dealer or Autozone. I use ramps when I change it, makes it easier to get to the drain bolt, from a cost perspective I am not sure it is worth it, you can buy Mobil 1 in the recommended weight at Walmart for $25 for a 5 quart container, the MDX takes 6 quarts so you need two, buying the singles the cost per quart is around $8 vs $5 in the larger container, you can get the filters on Amazon. The only reason I change it myself is piece of mind, too many horror stories of dealer mistakes. BTW when the service light comes on it has a code for the service needed, either the first or second service also requires the rear diff fluid to the changed, you can get the fluid from the dealer or Amazon,it is pretty easy to do, as I recall you have to drop the spare down to get to it.
I have not changed the oil yet on my '17.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Here's a thread I created describing changing the oil myself. It's easy to do, you have control over it rather than trusting someone else to do it, can rotate the tires at the same time, and can inspect for under-carriage damage at the same time -

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/94-third-generation-mdx-2014-present/79154-self-done-oil-change-some-tips.html

I did the first oil change at 7,865 miles, after returning from a coast t coast driving trip.

The owner's manual just states to change the oil according to the oil minder and to not do anything special for the first oil change and I followed the guidelines with the exception that it was a bit early still since I think the minder indicated around 30% left.

I don't think there's any need to change the oil early at an arbitrary mileage such as 3,000 miles. Engines, tolerances, materials used, and oil have all changed in the last number of decades. If Acura is willing to back their advice up with the warranty I'll go ahead and follow their guidelines.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow thanks for the information guys. So I will go by the indicator on the dashboard. And first oil change should be around 10 thousand miles?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
first oil change should be around 10 thousand miles?
Like neoshi said, it depends on how the vehicle's driven. I've made multiple coast to coast and back trips which meant lots of freeway miles. My last oil change, where I actually hit the 0% (due to me still being on the trip when it hit but I almost made it back before it hit), was almost right at 10K miles. The first oil change I did was at somewhere around 30% left and was at 7865 miles. Another oil change I did was at an 8490 mile interval when the minder was at 15% left.

The above will give you a rough idea of how many miles between changes. It's best to change it at around 5% unless you plan to head out for a trip in which case do it sooner so you don't hit 0% on the trip like I did.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts