Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know...check with the owners manual...but has anyone changed their oil at the 1000 mile mark?

Thanks!

·
Registered
73 Posts
isn't that too early? I am at 4500 miles now and the computer says my oil has 60% . Remember, it's full synthetic oil. Most german cars that use synthetic oil change every yr or like 15000 miles. I am going to change mine every 6 months or 7500 miles like my BMW, which is troublefree for 10yrs 130000 miles.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I believe the oil in the car at build had additives to assist break in, so don't change it early.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks NHHIEP, I wasn't aware that we had synthetic oil. I really need to read my manual! :) I was just curious. Back in the day, I remember if we bought a new car, you were supposed to not drive over 60 MPH for the first 500-1000 miles to break in the engine and at 1000 miles, replace the oil. I didn't baby the MDX for the first 1000 miles as far as breaking it in, but I was just curious if people changed the oil at 1K. I thought I saw a thread about it way back when on this forum when I was initially researching the car. But if there's synthetic, then i'll wait till my oil meter gets to about 15% to replace the oil.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I believe the oil in the car at build had additives to assist break in, so don't change it early.

Thanks NHHIEP, I wasn't aware that we had synthetic oil. I really need to read my manual! :) I was just curious. Back in the day, I remember if we bought a new car, you were supposed to not drive over 60 MPH for the first 500-1000 miles to break in the engine and at 1000 miles, replace the oil. I didn't baby the MDX for the first 1000 miles as far as breaking it in, but I was just curious if people changed the oil at 1K. I thought I saw a thread about it way back when on this forum when I was initially researching the car. But if there's synthetic, then i'll wait till my oil meter gets to about 15% to replace the oil.
Honda/Acura does use different oil from the factory, it is very high in Moly to help your engine break in properly. I am speaking from a personal experience, I've had an oil analysis done on my 2014 Odyssey which came back with some crazy high Moly counts. I personally will be changing that oil at 5k miles then using a high quality synthetic such as Motul, Liqui Moly, Eneos or Penzzoil Ultra. You can also go with Mobil1. I personally would stay away from the dealer sold Honda/Acura branded oil as it is a very low quality synthetic, totally different from what you have in your engine now. If you still want to do an early oil change I would add a can of MoS2 from Liqui Moly to compensate for the Moly you'll be dumping with the factory oil, IMHO.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I wasn't aware that we had synthetic oil.
Actually, I think Acura uses a blend - i.e. blend of synthetic and dino.

What I did - I followed the owner's manual because I'm quite certain the engineers who designed the engine and the company that backs it up with a warranty knows more about the details for this engine than any poster on this forum.

When I looked for the specified 0W20 oil I found it in only full synthetic other than the blend available at the dealership. I went with Mobil 1 full synthetic. I change it at roughly the timing/mileage of the maintenance minder although the first time I changed it somewhat early (I think maybe at around 30%) because I was going to go on a long road trip that would have taken it to 0% somewhere in the road trip.

Note - I posted a self-done oil change thread on this forum that might be of value to you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
What I did - I followed the owner's manual because I'm quite certain the engineers who designed the engine and the company that backs it up with a warranty knows more about the details for this engine than any poster on this forum.
Unless they're like BMW and stretch out the maintenance schedule to meet the minimum requirements of the warranty...ie, modern BMWs like to break down after the warranty is up because the maintenance intervals are too far apart...no diesel should ever have a 15K oil change interval

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I usually purchase my syn oil from Walmart and take to the dealership for A1 service for +10 yrs. It cuts the cost down a A1 service to about $26 and a (half-ass) car wash. I also do rotation/balance (Discount tires), alignments (lifetime Firestone) and filters (cabin/engine) myself to keep the routine service cost down.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
like BMW and stretch out the maintenance schedule to meet the minimum requirements of the warranty
It appears that the maint minder on the MDX doesn't use a straight mileage formula but rather, takes other parameters into account.

I've done 2 oil changes so far on my 2014 MDX and it appears that for me it's roughly in the 9K-11K mileage range although I did the first oil change early at around 7,800 miles and I think the minder indicated it was at around 30%. I did the second oil change at around 17,600 miles and the minder indicated lower that 30% but I can't remember the exact value. I'm now at 24,800 miles and 30% left so that'll end up due at well under 15K miles.

We could second guess it all day long with perhaps so really old school people still sticking with 3K miles or something but technology has changed and this area is particular to the engine, its characteristics, and its specs, so I'll put my faith in the recommendations from Acura unless I find a good reason not to.

I actually haven't had any issues with any modern engine in any vehicle from any manufacturer I've had (but I haven't owned a BMW or Mercedes or a number of others). I keep my vehicles a long time, I still have a Dodge Durango that has 225K miles on it, and the engines themselves have always held up (I don't consider something like a water pump to be the actual engine - I think I've changed it 5 times on my Durango - good thing I bought a lifetime warranty one so I keep getting no cost water pumps).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, after 1 month of ownership, I've put 1000 miles on the car. the oil is displaying 80%. So I'm guessing I'll be at around 4-5K miles when I do my first oil change.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Can anyone confirm that Honda still ships these with their special break-in oil?
Read my post #5. I and some other folks at odyclub.com have done oil analysis and all had similar results, high count of Moly, that's their additive.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Yeah, high moly is pretty much the only big difference for first use oil and future oil. You can technically just buy moly additive and mix it in with your oil of choice if you want to continue with high moly but change early. It's just to smooth out the cylinder walls during your first cycle anyway.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Honeywell
And ... Honeywell owns Fram. But this doesn't mean that a Fram and an OEM to Honda's spec are identical.

The OEM oil filters aren't very expensive and the oil changes aren't very frequent so I just go ahead and buy the OEM filter. That way it's to Honda's spec and if there's ever a warranty dispute they can't point to a non-OEM oil filter as being the cause (I'm not saying they'd ever do that but it's possible).

·
Registered
357 Posts
I just check, Honeywell sold FRAM in 2011 but is still using same crappy technology/parts in their filters. An OEM Honda Filtech is a much better filter, IMO.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Was filtech the American arm of tokyo roki? I can't remember anymore

1 - 20 of 26 Posts