Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I just completed my 2002's first oil and filter change at 3700 miles. I found three things interesting:
- while the user manual specifies 5W-20, the oil cap on the engine still says 5W-30. Is this confusing?
- after the oil and filter change, I found all my gas mileage history are gone. Does MDX have some sensor that erase all the history upon new oil or filter change? Does this happen to other folks as well?
- the gas mileage is noticeable better. I'll monitor the combined gas mileage for the next week. But, the gas mileage seems to be improved by one to two per gallon.

Comments?

·
Registered
285 Posts
tjwid said:
- the gas mileage is noticeable better. I'll monitor the combined gas mileage for the next week. But, the gas mileage seems to be improved by one to two per gallon.

Comments?
there is some break-in additives in the initial engine oil that acura added, which might explain why the mpg is higher now after an oil change.... frankly, i haven't had my first oil change yet, so i am just guessing here.... :2:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I was had the understanding that BECAUSE of the initial protective additives from the factory, it was preferred to not do the initial oil change until the recommended 7500 - anyone comment on that?

Also, I just notice the 5W20 in the manual and 5W30 on the cap for the first time as we went on our first road trip and paid closer attention to levels than before -- what should we be using 5W20 or 5W30?

FYI - 650 miles all freeways
MPG 21
Avg Speed 55 (Southern California traffic jams brought the average way down).

·
Registered
285 Posts
weth said:
I was had the understanding that BECAUSE of the initial protective additives from the factory, it was preferred to not do the initial oil change until the recommended 7500 - anyone comment on that?
it depends on the weather condition and the driving condition, acura has two service/maintainance schedules, one for normal driving condition (that's the 7500 mi one) and the other for 'severe' driving condition, which recommend an oil change every 3750 miles... unforturnately for us in texas, the temperature is almost always above 90 degrees, so we have to follow the second one... :3:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Very good question!!

My dealer put 5w-30 on my first oil change. I did asked them 5w-30 or 5w-20, the service representative said 5w-30.

they schedule my second oil change at 7500 miles.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
tjwid said:
Ok, I just completed my 2002's first oil and filter change at 3700 miles. I found three things interesting:
- while the user manual specifies 5W-20, the oil cap on the engine still says 5W-30. Is this confusing?
- after the oil and filter change, I found all my gas mileage history are gone. Does MDX have some sensor that erase all the history upon new oil or filter change? Does this happen to other folks as well?

Comments?
You can use either the 20 or 30 weight oils, I believe the 5W-30 is a little thicker for the hotter times of year it will give you additional protection, but a little less gas mileage due to the oil being thicker. On the other hand the 5W-20 is thinner for colder wheather temperatures, it is thinner oil giving better gas mileage. In the winter use the thinner, and in the summer use the thicker. As far as to how often to change the oil, I stick to the old school thought of 3000 miles or 3 months. I know the manuel states differently but since I own and plan to keep for the long run I would rather be safe than sorry down the road. Also I am a very demanding driver and tend to be hard on my vehicles.

·
Registered
19 Posts
5W-30 or 5W-20

I took the MDX in for the first oil change this morning.

I picked up a brochure from the dealer on MDX maintenance and the type of oil it recommends is interesting.

The recommended motor oil for 2002 and newer models is 5W-20 and for the 2001 only it is 5W-30. It does not state anything about type of weather or driving conditions. That being said, I wonder if it's for Canada only. But why would there be a difference between the 2001 and 2002?

I didn't get a chance to ask why, but it seems bizarre.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Good Catch

Weth wrote:
Also, I just notice the 5W20 in the manual and 5W30 on the cap for the first time as we went on our first road trip and paid closer attention to levels than before -- what should we be using 5W20 or 5W30?
Checked our 2002 X last night. Indeed, the oil filler cap does read 5W30 yet the manual clearly states 5W20.

Honda does make a 5W20 oil cap [have one on our 2001 Accord V6]. Cap looks IDENTICAL EXCEPT FOR THE OIL WEIGHT.

Looks to me like Acura really screwed up!!!! Tim [if you see this], can you check with Acura. Silly as this may sound, I believe that Acura should notify all owners and provide replacement oil filler caps!!!

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Re: 5W-30 or 5W-20

bear said:
I took the MDX in for the first oil change this morning.

I picked up a brochure from the dealer on MDX maintenance and the type of oil it recommends is interesting.

The recommended motor oil for 2002 and newer models is 5W-20 and for the 2001 only it is 5W-30. It does not state anything about type of weather or driving conditions. That being said, I wonder if it's for Canada only. But why would there be a difference between the 2001 and 2002?

I didn't get a chance to ask why, but it seems bizarre.
You could use either weight depending on your geographic area and temperatures. Thicker oil for warmer wheather and thinner for cold wheather! I believe it does state this in the manual. They just don't recommend the 10W-20 or the 10W-40 oils. Also alot of dealer tend to stick with thinner oil so you keep getting better gas mileage. IMO I would rather have better engine protection and a little less gas mileage in the summer or warmer wheather.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Re: Re: 5W-30 or 5W-20

paul123 said:

You could use either weight depending on your geographic area and temperatures. Thicker oil for warmer wheather and thinner for cold wheather! I believe it does state this in the manual. They just don't recommend the 10W-20 or the 10W-40 oils. Also alot of dealer tend to stick with thinner oil so you keep getting better gas mileage. IMO I would rather have better engine protection and a little less gas mileage in the summer or warmer wheather.
We've had this discussion before. Actually the manual specifies 5W-20 for all locations and all conditions. The little chart of temparatures shows 5W-20 from below -30 to 120 degrees F. Several of us with 2002's have noticed the oil filler cap discrepancy, but 5W-20 is definitely the recommendation. In fact, the manual says "If 5W-20 is not available, a 5W-30 oil may be used. However, it should be replaced with a 5W-20 at the next oil change." That doesn't sound like 'either/or' to me.

So, far I've stuck with 5W-20 even here in the deep south. I don't know if I can do it on my next change with the temperatures will be in the upper 90's :cool: . Of course, the manual also says to change the filter on every other oil change, and I'm going to change it every time.

Mayby they did make changes to the engine (narrower oil passages, etc.) between 2001 and 2002 that make the thinner oil not just OK, but maybe even better for the car.

- Conrad

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
5w-30 vs 5w-20

I still think in warmer area's a 5w-30 will not hurt the engine. I believe they recommend the 5w-20 for better gas mileage results.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Correct Oil for 2002 MDX is ???

Stopped by local Acura dealer this weekend and discussed "proper oil for 2002" with Service Advisor:

(1) Manual says 5W-20.
(2) Oil Filler Cap says 5W-30.

He is going to contact Acura to clear this up. He thinks that Oil Cap MIGHT BE correct!! They are not aware of any engine changes from 2001 to 2002 that would account for the difference.

Amazing, the 02 has been out for many months and the discrepancy has not been resolved!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Correct Oil for 2002 MDX is ???

srpbep said:
He is going to contact Acura to clear this up. He thinks that Oil Cap MIGHT BE correct!!
I am very interested to hear what your dealer find out from Acura. Since Oil Cap is the same as 2001 and someone have to EXPLICITLY initiate a change to 2002 manual, my guess is that Acura intentionally changed the spec for some reason. :confused:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DaleB said:
Not ready for my first change yet, I use Mobil 1 and noticed that 5-20 is not very common in auto parts and discount stores. I need to check Costco and maybe buy a case or more in advance.
I bought a case from Kragen. It did not cost me extra. But it is not as popular like 5w-30 or 10W-40.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
The 5W part of the number is for cold-engine starts; the 20 or 30 part of the number is for hot-engine oil-flow characteristics. My SWAG thinks that the 5W-20 recommendation for the '02s is just to pop the gas mileage up a bit compared to 5W-30. Remember, pleasing the Feds has to be high on any car manufacturer's priority list. :6:

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Gas Mileage??

frostyra wrote:
The 5W part of the number is for cold-engine starts; the 20 or 30 part of the number is for hot-engine oil-flow characteristics. My SWAG thinks that the 5W-20 recommendation for the '02s is just to pop the gas mileage up a bit compared to 5W-30. Remember, pleasing the Feds has to be high on any car manufacturer's priority list./
I don't get the logic, I thought both 01 and 02 mileage estimate were the same = 17/23. If this is true, I can't track the oil viscosity change to mileage.

:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I don't know, but that was the only reason I could think of. On a hot day or a long trip, I'd much rather have "something-W-30" than "something-W-20" protecting my engine with its heavier oil film. But, I think it stands to reason that a "thinner" oil (20) would have less "pumping loss" when the crankshaft splashes through it. Maybe it only increases mileage by 0.5 mpg , which isn't enough to change the published figures.

Remember, we're not necessarily experts here -- just opinionated! :5:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts