Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my first oil change over the weekend at 3,500.00, 10%. My Lexus RX350 uses the same type of oil and I change it at 10K per the manual...Not sure why there is a huge discrepancy between the two.

·
Registered
388 Posts
If you're using full synthetic oil, I see no reason why it can't go 7-8k miles, unless you're towing often or if most of your driving is stop & go. But be careful: If you ever have to make an engine warranty claim, you have to have receipts and be able to prove you're adhering to Acura's oil change directives. I'm at 3.3k miles with my 17 and have 60% oil life left. That should take me close to 7k miles at change time. I probably drive 50-50 town/highway. You must be town driving and/or idling a lot. I think the internal computer looks at several parameters in it's calculations.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Having only 10% left at 3500 miles is very low - I'd expect much more life left at 3500 miles - something similar to the post above. I think you should ask Acura why the mileage for the oil life was so abnormally low and if they say 'it's normal', don't believe them and challenge them including showing you documentation that states this.

I determined my 2014 MDX is gets almost exactly 10K miles before it hits 0%. I've only hit the 0% once and it only happened because I didn't make it quite all the way back home on a coast to coast and back trip before it hit 0 but it's consistent with the mileage when I've normally changed it - generally at the 5-10% or so point.

The mileage you get with the oil life will vary somewhat depending on how you drive but I wouldn't expect anything close to as drastic as what you stated - i.e. less than half the mileage I'm seeing.

·
Registered
388 Posts
If your drives are short, I recommend you use a full synthetic oil. When short-driving, it's possible for the oil to never reach normal operating temperatures. Oil needs heat to evaporate condensation that forms within it. A synthetic is more forgiving for these situations. Long-term moisture in the crankcase can lead to sludge forming in the engine, which is a very bad thing. My dealer told me Acura uses a full synthetic oil for the factory fill. The initial factory fill is also a break-in oil, according to Honda Motor Company, and is a different mixture than the oil used after the initial factory fill. I was advised not to be too quick to change that factory fill, and leave it in there until the minder is between 5 and 10%. I'm still on the factory fill. I just came back from dinner and I looked at my minder. I have 3.4k miles and the minder is at 50%.

·
Registered
20 Posts
That's really low mileage, my wife's '17 went 6100 miles before needing a change which seemed very low to me compared to the '14 we had before. Her driving is 90% stop and go in and out of the city everyday.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
^^ Acura warrants the engine and they say you should change at around 5% or so - depending on how quickly you'll get to 0%. I, and Acura, see no need to change the oil early at 50% when it's at only half its lifetime.

·
Registered
319 Posts
My first change will be at 6500 miles and oil life was 15%.
I drive combination of city/highway. If Acura uses synthetic oil then don't know why oil change at 6500.
My previous car used Mobile 1 and that oil change was at every 15 k miles .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts