Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scheduled for release in North America next year. Possible U.S. powerplants are a V6 and a V8. Doubt if the turbodiesel V10 would pass emissions requirements here! Too bad because it pumps out 313 horsepower but more importantly, 551 lbs of torque, at 1,800 rpm!

(It's pronounced "tur-ek".)

Info:

http://www.vwvortex.com/news/index_touareg_intro.html

Some interesting highlights ...

- Advertised as a true offroader.
- More than 11+" ground clearance with pneumatic suspension.
- Can roll to 45 degrees.
- Wade through 23" of water.
- Front/rear power split can be programmed with preferences.
- 7,716 lbs towing capability (probably with the V10!).
- 6-speed Tiptronic transmission.
- Top speed of 155 mph (at least in Germany).

The styling is decent but doesn't blow me away. At least it's better than what some had thought it might look like a while ago:

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4480

·
Registered
285 Posts
thanks for the link... those pictures surely looks very nice... yeap, the seaside view helps a lot....

i think that VW has almost the exact same dimensions as the MDX... don't know whether it can hold 7 passengers though, the photos show 5 passenger seating...

i like the front part, mainly because it looks so much like the new passat... the interior looks upscale (better than the MDX, IMHO), but the rear is just butt ungly... maybe they got it from the posche suv?

the body side panel is prone to be easily dinged/dented, probably even worse than the MDX....

but, it's surely going to be a hit and expect to pay premium for it...

·
Registered
619 Posts
atleast its not fugly like the porsche. but, it looks tooo much like the passat. I realize the passat has been a great success for vw, but it looks like a passat station wagon on 'roids.

IMHO - of course:)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think one of the appeals of the the Passat, (and the entire VW line for that matter) is they give you something that looks different for a decent price. From a styling perspective, there is not much difference between a Accord, Camry, Taurus, etc. The Passat on the otherhand stands out.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I like it . . . a lot! The back end isn't that ugly. . . . but does look a lot like the rear of the Toyota Sienna.

Anyone know about pricing?

·
Registered
420 Posts
People are confusing the Magellan (crossover prototype vehicle) and the Touareg (actual "SUV", genetically linked to the Cayenne). The Touareg is going into production in 2003. AFAIK the Magellan is just a concept vehicle. I may be a little biased (I own a new Passat) but I like the Touareg. If VW keeps their philosophy of high quality materials and solid built approach, it may attract lux SUV buyers and sell well.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I like the looks as well. The interior looks quite like the MDX in many respects.
Anyone have any idea as to sticker price range?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Like it too

When I was looking for a new car (and ended up ordering the 'x'), I must say I was drooling over the Passat until I had my 6'7" husband sit in it and he just couldn't get comfortable. The Acura fit him very well, though. But a combo of the VW & a tall SUV might just fit the bill! Hmmm....

I'd say this vehicle would be up there in possibilities once I've put my 6-7 years and 100K miles on my new 'X'....:D

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Very nice! Having sat in my brother's 2000 Passat, and with the pics, I know this will be a winner.

I had considered holding out for it when it was still the rumored "Colorado" but could not wait.

The only thing that would keep me form liking it better than the MDX is the 7 passenger seating (don't know if that will be offered).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not bad at all. Very conservative (borderline plain) exterior, very nice interior. Looks a little station-wagony, but thankfully not quite as much as the BMW X5.

Kind of surprised that they're going with a V8 after all the time spent developing their new W8 for the Passat et al.

Z

·
Registered
36 Posts
Cargo Space, Where is it??

Reading through the press release, 19.5 cubic feet in the rear and 55.4 with the second row down. Theres no third row in this thing and not much stuff going into it. From Porche, you expect no cargo space or inside utility. From VW, that's just plain bad product planning. The VW is dead even before it even hits the market. By that time, major improvements to the Lexus, MB, and several new entries will wash this thing out really quick.

I know they are trying this luxury spin, but selling a golf and this one dimensional SUV pocket rocket side by side doesn't make a whole lotta sense.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Careful to kill the VW SUV so soon. Remember BMW makes a very small SUV that makes no real sense for the price.

But!!! They sell all they can make.

VW has been on fire with their current product lineup. The SUV fits into the "Drivers Wanted" theme. I'll bet they sell all they can make.

Sure the MDX (and Pilot) make more sense, but the VW is following the BMW/German mode.

If anything, I wish the MDX was a bit more German with Tiptronic and a telescoping wheel.

·
Registered
426 Posts
As long as it is made in Germany it will have less problems, but I expect it to have way more problems than the MDX. Right now the problem vehicles that are having major problems for Volkswagon are the ones made in Mexico, Jetta sedans and Beetles. Being at the Mitsubishi/Volkswagon Store now, I am seeing way to many problems with them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Can you explain your expectation further as it is generally accepted that American made Hondas are not as reliable as the Japanese ones also? I am still researching which SUV to buy and the VW certainly looks impressive. I have test driven a MDX several times had not yet convinced myself that it is the vehicle for me. The Mdx is nice but it would seem that I could go with a Pilot and get practically the same vehicle for the much less money. I don't see what you get on the Acura that is worth another $8K - $10K. Or I could go with the VW (probably for about the same as the Acura) and get more power, more towing capacity, and real off-roading ability.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Comparisions based on???

Tech555 said:
...I am still researching which SUV to buy and the VW certainly looks impressive. I have test driven a MDX several times had not yet convinced myself that it is the vehicle for me. The Mdx is nice but it would seem that I could go with a Pilot and get practically the same vehicle for the much less money. I don't see what you get on the Acura that is worth another $8K - $10K. Or I could go with the VW (probably for about the same as the Acura) and get more power, more towing capacity, and real off-roading ability.
I am not convinced the a "practically the same" Pilot will sell for "significantly less" than the MDX ( '02 or '03). It may happen. Then again, the Honda factory has a tendency to build "loaded" Honda's first/faster. The loaded Pilot vs. the Premium (non-Touring) MDX price gap may be less than 5k...

The VW is even further away from final pricing & US options. The towing capability will be strongly influenced by power train, as will off-road capabilities. Frankly I consider myself to be part of the majority of US SUV buyers, who rate "off road capabilities" WAY WAY down the list. The fuel economy, quietness, in-town & freeway handling would all be compromised by "real off-road ability" and those are compromises I would not make -- I suspect VW is smart enough to look at sales numbers/trends from vehicles that emphasize off-road at the expense of qualities I and the majority of US buyers want. As such, I seriously doubt that the 'mass marfket' VW will be a "firebreather" that challenges HumVee, Jeep, Land Cruiser... (though VW also seems to recognize the benefits of marketing specialty vehicles like the W8/12, GTI & Turbo S/R Beetle and MAY market a small number of firebeathers...)

Finally, there have been enough complaints, even from die-hard Deutsch-ophiles with BMW & MB SUVs, that for me the Japanese engineered SUV's seem the right choice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts