Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got back from vacation driving our MDX. We started from LA, Las Vegas, Mammoth, Yosemite, Monterey, PCH then back to LA. I put about 1400 miles on it. The car has 2500 miles now.

Such a good, comfort car to drive when you have two kids and lots of stuff. I really enjoy the drive, good power, handling. I am glad I made the right choise.

I even saw a few MDXs on the way. And we waved at each other.

:2:

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Re: The right stuff

Taiwanese said:
I am glad I made the right choice.:2:
:7: :15: :29: :1::18: :21:

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Taiwanese said:

LOL I did that when my family went on our road trip to Florida, I just got strange looks.

·
Registered
259 Posts
For a second I thought you were the guy my wife and I waved to and passed on I-15 heading from Vegas to LA on 8/12/02, but his X was a dark green....my first long trip was to Disneyland and the Torrance area; left on Monday, back yesterday. Overall, averaged about 24 on the freeways, mostly cruising at 75, a few times busted up to 85-90 to pass on the desert portions of I-15. I know my wife hit 95 a few times when she drove and didn't even realize it (she doesn't like cruise control but I'm going to win her over soonere or later). Loved those prices for premium in Barstow, ranged from $1.64 at Pilot to over $2.00 at the Shell station. On the way home from California, the desert temperatures were close to 120 degrees near Baker/Death Valley, but my X just kept on keeping on, with the AC running up and down the mountains, no problems at all. Quite a few vehicles on the road were overheated, even saw a Benz sedan (E or S class, there's so many classes, I don't know which) with it's hood up!

Have over 3,000 miles since bought in June, have to do severe maintenance schedule here in Vegas, so going in for oil change at 3,750 next month armed with Acura's recommended service printout so I can be sure I get what I'm supposed to get and nothing more....

·
Registered
81 Posts
We are off for a road trip to Vermont tomorrow (about a 4 hour ride). First trip with the new X. Can't wait. I have to figure how to set up the kids TV in back. In the old van I just put it in a wood crate we had. Not sure what to do in the X. Anyway will figure it out tomorrow. Will report when we get back.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Just got back --- 4,300 miles --- great road vehicle: comfortable, responsive, all-around versatile. Drove on interstates, two-lane country highways, city streets, and even went a little off-road. Felt like I lived in the X for the eight days we were gone, but never regretted a minute of it!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think there is another thread talking about secret hand sign for MDX owners. I just raised my hand up from the wheel when I see another X. I didn't get anybody to respond the first few times. Just when I am ready to give up, another X owner waved back to me when we were leaving Monterey Aquarium.

I will just keep on trying.

We drove through speedy highway, city streets and curvy mountain roads (PCH). No doubt, X is the right car to own.

Congrats to everybody here of making the right decision.

:eek:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well we are back from our trip to Vermont. 3 1/2 hours each way and it was great. We were concerned that we would have less room than the Caravan we just got rid of, but it was fine. In fact I think it was easier. I put half of the middle seat seat down and placed the TV/VCR on the edge of it between the front seats. IT was great. The kids sat in the third row, but I could still hand them stuff as well as change the tapes. In the van, I could not reach them or the VCR in the third row. Had no trouble in the X. I placed the cooler on the middle seat that was not down. Don't know what I would have done if we had a fifth person with us, though. Will probably need a carrier or leave the cooler. Oh well, it was a great trip. Can't wait until the next one.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Taiwanese said:
We just got back from vacation driving our MDX. We started from LA, Las Vegas, Mammoth, Yosemite, Monterey, PCH then back to LA. I put about 1400 miles on it. The car has 2500 miles now.

Such a good, comfort car to drive when you have two kids and lots of stuff. I really enjoy the drive, good power, handling. I am glad I made the right choise.

On our trip to Jackson, TN from Austin couple months back, I only saw one MDX. We didn't have the chance to wave at its other, the other MDX was pulled over by the cop.:eek:

·
Registered
17 Posts
My family and I had our first road trip on the MDX from Memphis TN to Chattanooga TN last week, approx 5.5 hrs each way. And I was pulled over but a state trooper barely half an hour into our road trip at Brownsville (mid point between Memphis and Jackson).

Anyway, we love our X. Very comfy, good ride! But I barely get 18.5 miles per gallon by the time we returned home. Even though I was stopped by the cops on the way (which is another long story), I was travelling at around 70mph (speed limit here in TN on the Interstate). I am wondering what's the gas mileage others get on their X. Before the road trip, the computer registed 14.8 mpg.

We love Chattanooga too! My 3 year old loved the Aquarium, Rock Garden City, and Ruby Falls.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Our average on the highway to Vermont was 20 mpg. I watched it the whole trip and was hoping for more, but I guess I can't complain if you only got around 18 mpg.

·
Registered
17 Posts
JayCT said:
Our average on the highway to Vermont was 20 mpg. I watched it the whole trip and was hoping for more, but I guess I can't complain if you only got around 18 mpg.
We had about 1200 miles on the car before the trip, and around 14.8 mpg on the computer. It was mainly my wife driving within a 6-mile radius around town (ie grocery, church, school, etc). I guess the additional 750 miles only bump up the mpg by 3.6 mpg. If I were to calculate the mpg based on the incremental 750 miles, I get approx 22-25 mpg, which is about right.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I've gotten over 23 twice, at least as reported by the computer. Independent calcs show errors on the computer's part of 0.5 to over 1 mpg, but fuel economy can still get pretty high even accounting for the error. That was doing up to 80-85 on the 118 freeway, flooring it a few times to pass, but no AC. I couldn't believe it. I usually get more like 20-21 mpg on the exact same route with similar driving. Musta been a tail wind. :)

Running the AC takes off more than 1 mpg.

·
Registered
166 Posts
If we don't run the AC here in Arizona, we might not survive our trip ;). It will stay over 100 degrees for at least 2-3 more months :(

Taiwanese:

When were you in Mammoth? We were there the last week of July into the 1st couple of days in August. We saw lots of MDXs, but I don't remember if we saw a black one. Ours was the only one from AZ, though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
We just completed a trip to Hilton Head, SC....about 700 miles round-trip. Ran a mix of mid-grade and premium fuels along the way. Best gas mileage we had was around 21 running around 75 mph with the A/C. We also have one of those portable TV/DVD combo units that plugs directly into one of the 12V-DC power plugs. Worked out great...kids have their own headsets, so we could listen to CD's concurrently. I also bought a power inverter for use in the MDX for running laptops, etc. Works great off any of the 3 power outlets in the 'X'.:29:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Took a trip on the 4th., from TN to Fort Walton Beach FL. Got an average of 24.8mpg using premium amoco gas (trip computer and my calculation came to +/- 0.4 miles diff OUCH, very close match!).:p

Did not see any x's on the way there. :( But once we got to the beach area, :eek: there was at least 10 or more x's running around. I try to wave to those x's but not a single person wave back :mad: , but I guess I will try again the next time.:D

On our way back the mileage was at 25.9 mph on the computer using Chevron premium gas and as usual the cal came very close only 0.5 miles off. :D

I had the RR Touring with Navi and I use it all the way without any problems and my next vehicle is going to have a Navi on it.

:1: Eddie:p :D:(

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey eddie899, we also have a redrock X (Base, no touring or nav). My wife drives the X. I drive a 1998 cypress green CRV, which I love. A bit of a coincidence, don't you think?

·
Registered
8 Posts
JayCT:

This sure is a bit of a coincidence. :D ;) What a match! Except you live up north and I live almost down south. Wait, :rolleyes: I use to live in NYC 10 years ago....:p

As for me I drive the '02' RR X and my wife drive '97' CG CRV. She is the one that want me to get rid of my '01' Toyota Tocoma :3: (breaks down more than 10 times, had it almost 2 yrs) for the 'X' and then she keep the 'x' an I drive the CRV. But she change her mind because she is not use to drive the 'X', a little to big for her. She is only 5'4'. So I got the X now!:D :cool: :5:

What about you? And how you like the X and the CRV. I love my wife CRV, because u get good mileage and it is a fun little car. U can get to most place with it.

Eddie

·
Registered
81 Posts
The CRV is great. It is a fun car. I like it because I don't have to bend my head to get in it. There is plenty of head room. Also I feel it is a comfortable size, not too big, not too small.

We bought the X because we have kids and needed to seat 7 on occasion. My wife loves it and so do I. But as I said I don't drive it much. I guess you and I are both just very smart about buying a car, since we bought the best.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts