Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my daughter out to the local choss pile yesterday for some sport climbing, about 5 hours round trip. Its a great drive to test the character of a car, starts on the highway ( deserted on the way out, busy on the way back ), hills and twisty roads dominate the second half of the trip.

Overall this Type S Advance really blows my old MDX Tech pkg out of the water. The adaptive cruse control on the highway was amazing, even on the way back with traffic speeds between 60 and 75mph and lots of cars on the road, I was able to keep it in cruse control almost all the way to my exit.

Putting the MDX in Sport+ mode on the back roads was a blast, it feels like it drops 2000lbs and the engine noise and response is super fun. Strangely enough I feel like the suspension is still more forgiving of bumps in Sport+ than my old MDX Tech package, yet is much flatter in the corners.

I turned on the massaging seats during the trip back, and while I cant say if it helped with my lower back issues, I was a lot less tight when I got home than I normally am. I could just be the seats in general which are excellent.

Negatives - After sitting in the sun all day the AC took forever to cool the cabin, and the ventilated seats gave zero relief. Nav recalculated the route a bunch even though there is only really one way home. I had it on just for reference. Also still having problems with Acuralink, not getting any remote info.

·
Registered
2022 MDX Type S
105 Posts
Good stuff.

Couple points:

*NAV could have recalculated many times due to traffic? It takes traffic congestion into account
*You are brave for doing SPORT+ - I can't , I just find the ride too jarring and stiff.
*Massaging seats are getting rave reviews across the board - Not bad for Acura's first implementation
*AC seems to be a complaint here but for me in Auto at 72F, it works just fine.

What ended being your MPG during the 5 hrs round trip?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What ended being your MPG during the 5 hrs round trip?
18mpg. I was mid 20s on the highway in comfort mode. I probably could have kept at 20mpg if I wasnt having fun in Sport+. Also I was forced to punch it a few times to overtake some slower cars on the backroads.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I also recently completed a 10 hour road trip with a 18 month old in a type s advance.

Pros:
  • Smooth ride with the air suspension, all passengers were happy
  • Massage felt great and seats were comfortable, often switched massage modes for a different brookstone mall experience
  • Directions on the heads up display from Apple Maps and speed trap notifications through waze worked well
  • Crystal clear HUD with a ton of info
  • Kid loves the panoramic and open cabin feel
  • All the charging ports
  • Adaptive cruise control works well
  • Gauge cluster layouts was intuitive
Cons:
  • Massage auto turn off timer is too short, whenever it turned off my mind felt something was missing and I had to manually turn it back on a lot during the long road trip
  • Small gas tank made me refuel more than I would have liked
  • Waze or google maps still does not show direction on the HUD, but I’ll take Apple Maps for now
  • This one is big - Blind spot indicators do not show up on HUD but do on my $28k mazda 3
Overall we are happy with the purchase and don’t regret not getting one of the current competitors instead.

We still feel newer mazdas are a better value but the long awaited CX-90 with the inline 6 is not due out until sometime late next year.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
This one is big - Blind spot indicators do not show up on HUD but do on my $28k mazda 3
It seems like this could be a fairly simple enhancement win for Acura via just a software change - no new hardware necessary. That doesn't mean they'll do it, but it seems like a no brainer to do since they already have everything in place to do so (unless Mazda has a patent on it or something).

·
Registered
2022 MDX Type S
105 Posts
It seems like this could be a fairly simple enhancement win for Acura via just a software change - no new hardware necessary. That doesn't mean they'll do it, but it seems like a no brainer to do since they already have everything in place to do so (unless Mazda has a patent on it or something).
Also one of my biggest complaints about the BSI not showing up in the HUD

My 2021 Corsair had BSI in the HUD + the time of day, very helpful!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Its good to know someone else is complaining about the ac and not only me, I did a road trip 2,000 miles from Socal to Utah and enjoy the drive except the ac

·
Registered
2022 MDX Type S
105 Posts
Cons:
  • Massage auto turn off timer is too short, whenever it turned off my mind felt something was missing and I had to manually turn it back on a lot during the long road trip
Yes, per the manual the shut-off timer is 20 mins

Not sure why that is, perhaps to keep the pumps/motors from overheating?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I also recently completed a 10 hour road trip with a 18 month old in a type s advance.

Pros:
  • Smooth ride with the air suspension, all passengers were happy
  • Massage felt great and seats were comfortable, often switched massage modes for a different brookstone mall experience
  • Directions on the heads up display from Apple Maps and speed trap notifications through waze worked well
  • Crystal clear HUD with a ton of info
  • Kid loves the panoramic and open cabin feel
  • All the charging ports
  • Adaptive cruise control works well
  • Gauge cluster layouts was intuitive
Cons:
  • Small gas tank made me refuel more than I would have liked
  • Waze or google maps still does not show direction on the HUD, but I’ll take Apple Maps for now
  • This one is big - Blind spot indicators do not show up on HUD but do on my $28k mazda 3
Overall we are happy with the purchase and don’t regret not getting one of the current competitors instead.

We still feel newer mazdas are a better value but the long awaited CX-90 with the inline 6 is not due out until sometime late next year.
your thule motion XT box is it XXL?

·
Registered
2004 MDX, 2022 MDX
4,599 Posts
Putting the MDX in Sport+ mode on the back roads was a blast, it feels like it drops 2000lbs and the engine noise and response is super fun. Strangely enough I feel like the suspension is still more forgiving of bumps in Sport+ than my old MDX Tech package, yet is much flatter in the corners.
I don't think that's strange at all. You would expect the suspension to more forgiving of bumps in all modes on the Type S, thanks to the adaptive air suspension. And it's flatter in the corners due to Type S features like the beefier stabilizer bars ("sway bars").

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Great stuff!

AC wise - I had a good long conversation with an experienced Acura technician on this back in May and he acknowledged that all of the new Acuras that come with the new "environmentally friendly" refrigerant suffer from poor cooling in really hot and sunny weather. They have non-stop complaints from customers and are forced to perform regular diagnostics to confirm the cooling is within specs. Unfortunately, because they perform the tests inside in an air conditioned environment, sun is not a factor there, and the test results are mostly fine (with one exception he mentioned when they forgot to put any refridgerant from the factory at all). The test consists of adjusting a temperature to a certain setting (forgot what it was) and getting the RPMs up to 2K. They put a thermometer into the vents and check that the temperature on the thermometer is consistent.

·
Registered
2022 MDX Advance Pkg
53 Posts
So then what is the "new" environmentally-friendly freon the mechanic implied was on this specific car and causes it to cool less effectively? Just bunk I guess
Yes. R1234YF is being used by all car manufacturers. You can always contact your local dealer to verify what I stated. I am in dealerships every week training service/parts personnel.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Took my daughter out to the local choss pile yesterday for some sport climbing, about 5 hours round trip. Its a great drive to test the character of a car, starts on the highway ( deserted on the way out, busy on the way back ), hills and twisty roads dominate the second half of the trip.

Overall this Type S Advance really blows my old MDX Tech pkg out of the water. The adaptive cruse control on the highway was amazing, even on the way back with traffic speeds between 60 and 75mph and lots of cars on the road, I was able to keep it in cruse control almost all the way to my exit.

I turned on the massaging seats during the trip back, and while I cant say if it helped with my lower back issues, I was a lot less tight when I got home than I normally am. I could just be the seats in general which are excellent.

Negatives - After sitting in the sun all day the AC took forever to cool the cabin, and the ventilated seats gave zero relief. Nav recalculated the route a bunch even though there is only really one way home. I had it on just for reference. Also still having problems with Acuralink, not getting any remote info.
That's kinda a big negative in my book considering many other MDX's I've driven and current 2020 MDX has adequate AC at best. Seems they kept the same system for 22. Not sure I've ever seen the value in Acrualink.

As for adaptive CC, it worked better on my 2011 than it does on my 2020. Does the 22 still tell you to BRAKE on two lane twisties with oncoming traffic?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Great stuff!

AC wise - I had a good long conversation with an experienced Acura technician on this back in May and he acknowledged that all of the new Acuras that come with the new "environmentally friendly" refrigerant suffer from poor cooling in really hot and sunny weather. They have non-stop complaints from customers and are forced to perform regular diagnostics to confirm the cooling is within specs. Unfortunately, because they perform the tests inside in an air conditioned environment, sun is not a factor there, and the test results are mostly fine (with one exception he mentioned when they forgot to put any refridgerant from the factory at all). The test consists of adjusting a temperature to a certain setting (forgot what it was) and getting the RPMs up to 2K. They put a thermometer into the vents and check that the temperature on the thermometer is consistent.
Inadequate cooling in MDX's is nothing new. He gave you a load of crap to be completely honest.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Yes. R1234YF is being used by all car manufacturers. You can always contact your local dealer to verify what I stated. I am in dealerships every week training service/parts personnel.
yeah I believe you. So basically a dealer made up a lie in order to explain away a customer complaint about their vehicle's inherent design or flaw. Wow, shocker! :)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As for adaptive CC, it worked better on my 2011 than it does on my 2020. Does the 22 still tell you to BRAKE on two lane twisties with oncoming traffic?
Well it works perfect now, I had heard stories of the 3rd gen being sketchy but they must have tweaked the software. Ive never had issues with the "BRAKE" coming on with oncoming traffic on either this MDX or my 3rd gen, but the 3rd gen would frequently get set off driving under an overpass, particularly in rain. I have yet to experience it with this car. Not saying its improved, I have only been in the rain once in this car!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts