Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

First gen MDX owner of a 2001 MDX. I bought this car with a 116k miles on it about 8 yrs ago and it has not given me any issues other than when antifreeze went low this last summer and fried the radiator, but that was my fault. Aside from that the car has been great, no tranny or engine issues at 170k miles.

I love Acura and considering upgrading to either a '08-'09 with +100k miles with a frugal budget of about $15k. But my wife wants a 'less-old' model around 2010-2012 with fewer miles, which would cost probably $25k.

My logic is they are basically the same models, mine is just a bit older, however, in my humble prior experience, buying from a responsible owner, they would have taken care of all the 100k mile service. Also, your not getting much more bang for the bucks, its the same design, very few upgrades. And lastly, most importantly, I believe, a seller who is at ~75-80k miles probably wants to unload the car before they have to do the costly 100k mile maintenance i.e. timing belts. So thats another $1-2k

My logic is buy the more affordable '08/'09 MDX for ~$15k and then upgrade in 5 yrs to the 3rd Gen 2014 models, which should be around $15k by then. I only drive about 5k miles a year.

What do you guys think of my logic vs the wife?
Are you happy with the 2nd Gen 08/09's vs the '10-'12s?
Any major engine/TC issues to watch out for?

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Happy wife, Happy life....

If saving money is the number one concern, then you should look are just repairing the 01 MDX and drive for another 50,000 miles. Unless you need the extra room/towing; I would check out the 13 RDX. You can find them around the same price as the 10/11/12 MDX starting at $24,000 and usually 20,000 to 50,000 less miles (no 100,000 maint worries for a few years). The good thing about the +13 RDX is the mpg, almost the same size of a 01 MDX, updated tech, and basic/powertrain warranty still available.

My 08 RDX is the perfect around town car and has better combined mpgs at around 19-20. My 11 MDX is better for hwy hauling or people/stuff at 21-22 mpgs; but, I can't get above 14-15 mpgs in 100% city driving.

The best luck I found long-term with an used Acura/Honda products is to purchase after the MMC. They really get reliable, updated tech, and updated styling to take you way past the 100,000 mark.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Mr.Gold for your input!

We love the 3rd row options, its been a lifesaver so many times, so the RDX, while beautiful and sporty, wouldn't be the right fit for our big families. Also, as much as I love my old 2001 Maddie, shes getting old and I can tell her time is coming near :( probably no more than 2 years. The burnt radiator left some significant wear and tear that will exacerbate this, which is why we'd like to upgrade soon.

I think we got lucky with the 01 being so darn reliable and I've been reading that 2nd gens were plagued with issues especially TC Converters, which is one point for the wifey to get the MMC 10-12 models.

I dont mind getting the cheaper '08-09 models simply because they will get dinged and danged everyday with NYC streetparking, its like serious bumper cars out here. If I were to get a scratch on a new MDX it might just ruin my entire week for sure. I will keep ping ponging over this for the next few weeks...but am excited to be soon joining the 2nd Gen MDX community.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
The tech model for the 08/09 or 10/11 would be the version I would go for. There are some updates with the +10 like:
- updated grill, front bumper, rear bumper, exhaust tips
- auto liftgate became standard for all models
- 6AT with 1 mpg better, better acceleration with the extra gear
- improvements with the 3.7L internals to strengthen her up
- Tech/Adv: bluetooth audio, hard-drive navi, hard-drive music storage, USB for iPhone or usb music plus phone charging
- the entertainment version has a updated overhead DVD system
- Navi with traffic, weather, better phone interface menu
- you can input navi addresses with just a phone number (only works for businesses so far)
- LED overhead lights you can adjust brightness
- sync phones without using any voice commands, make call using no voice commands, import of phone book faster with bluetooth
- darker (fake) wood trim, looks nice to me in the ebony interior.
- can still find OEM aftermarket parts like tow hitch or side steps for now.

I love my 11 MDX and it is an excellent hwy hauler. Visibility isn't the best out the rear or sides (long, wide, high hood, large front wipers, high seats, extremely large rear head rests). The 07-09 sport or +10 Adv are also pretty solid EXCEPT for the magnetic shocks. They run around $700-$1100 per not including labor. They can fail at any time without warning, I already replace my front magnetic struts at 35,000 miles under warranty. Without the warranty, it would have been around $2000-$2400 for the repair. You really don't need an extended warranty with a base, tech, or tech+Ent.

As far as I know, there were almost zero changes for the MDX for the +10 models at the different trim levels. I think they added greystone interior on the +12 models as an option.

Minor issues I've had with my MDX were (all covered by the basic 4/50,000 warranty):
- replaced stuck rear cup holder
- firmware update for "check charging system" light
- 6AT reflash
- replace driver 1 keyfob
- replace front endlink because of torn boot
- replace front magnetic struts because of knocking
- replaced passenger side puddle lights
- replace heating element on front passenger seat heater
- adjusted HIDs because they were too low

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mr.Gold35! That was extremely thorough and helpful. I really appreciate the time you took to share all of those details. I definitely will look for a Tech Package as bluetooth and power liftgate is a must. I dont have much need for DVD but the poweroutlet would be extremely handy.

Do you find you use the in dash Navi much? I've always used Waze or Googlemaps gps on my cell phone. Wondering what people with Navi systems use.

Sounds like you had a good experience in terms of reliability and only just experienced minor issues. Thanks again for all that helpful advice.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I live in the southwest and I can go several hours without 4G cell coverage and spotty FM. I like the feature where you can input an phone number and it sets the navi. I get some good use from the navi and XM. When I returned home from LA to ABQ last X-Mas, the weather went from sunny, rain, freezing rain, over a foot of snow in flagstaff, icy/snow packed roads, and back to sunny in a day. XM weather and traffic was helpful with limited cell coverage. You also get other upgrades when go with the tech model if you don't use the navi. I still have my iPhone as a back-up if the navi fails me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts