Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I bought a new white 2019 MDX Tech yesterday and have a few questions (probably more later).

First and foremost, what exactly can be saved in the configuration for the seat positions and radio station etc? You know, the one that is tied to which key fob you’re using....Is it just things like that? Or can I also save my preferences for the sensitivity and types of alerts like having the blind spot monitor beep instead of only showing the light on the door? The owner manual and the owners guide have some conflicting information regarding this.

Second, I had looked at so many comparable vehicles that I lost track of which options/features were on each brand and trim level. I had thought that the MDX Tech had fog lights. It’s not a big deal but are they really necessary with the led headlights (I haven’t had a chance to drive it at night yet)? I’m asking if people with fog lights think they are worth it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Pretty much all settings are unique to the key including alerts and stereo presets.

Tech does not come with fogs, only the advanced does. However I had the fogs installed at deliver on my 19 Tech. Not really useful except for it looks nicer imo.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
The fogs do brighten up the area 10-20 feet in front of the MDX and provide a little wider side illumination that might help with sharper turns in pitch black conditions. I mainly like the look on the MDX of having the fogs on compared to the added illumination they provide.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
I had thought that the MDX Tech had fog lights. It’s not a big deal but are they really necessary with the led headlights (I haven’t had a chance to drive it at night yet)? I’m asking if people with fog lights think they are worth it.
The fog lights on the MDX are mostly a decoration as they don't add that much to the visibility provided by the LED headlights. If you want them they can be installed by the dealer (expensively) but if you're considering them for practical use versus decoration wait until you drive a bit at night first since I think you'll conclude they aren't necessary due to the LED headlights. You could also go to a dealership at night and see how much they add on an MDX they have on the lot that has them installed.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Hi everyone,

I bought a new white 2019 MDX Tech yesterday and have a few questions (probably more later).

First and foremost, what exactly can be saved in the configuration for the seat positions and radio station etc? You know, the one that is tied to which key fob you’re using....Is it just things like that? Or can I also save my preferences for the sensitivity and types of alerts like having the blind spot monitor beep instead of only showing the light on the door? The owner manual and the owners guide have some conflicting information regarding this.

Second, I had looked at so many comparable vehicles that I lost track of which options/features were on each brand and trim level. I had thought that the MDX Tech had fog lights. It’s not a big deal but are they really necessary with the led headlights (I haven’t had a chance to drive it at night yet)? I’m asking if people with fog lights think they are worth it.

Thanks in advance for any help.
The BLS lights up,then if you signal,it beeps. These are not adjustable and not tied to the FOB. The infotainment,climate,seats and steering wheel are tied to each FOB.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The fog lights on the MDX are mostly a decoration as they don't add that much to the visibility provided by the LED headlights. If you want them they can be installed by the dealer (expensively) but if you're considering them for practical use versus decoration wait until you drive a bit at night first since I think you'll conclude they aren't necessary due to the LED headlights. You could also go to a dealership at night and see how much they add on an MDX they have on the lot that has them installed.
I beg to differ that the fog lights don’t make a difference. If your driving in well illuminated city streets or well illuminated multiple lane highways then yes there is probably marginal benefit. However, if driving in the burb fringes, under-lit residential or commercial areas, two lane FM roads, then they add considerable short distance, curb-to-curb, shoulder-to-shoulder security. They fill in the dead space below, and inhance the illumination of, the lower portion of the area illuminated by the headlights. Regardless, any additional illumination adds a margin of safety and security.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
They fill in the dead space below, and inhance the illumination of, the lower portion of the area illuminated by the headlights.
I'm just saying the general consensus on this site from many people who have fog lights on the 3rd gen MDX seems to be they're more decoration than utility. I think the LED lights are good, and light to the sides enough, that I see no need for fog lights and I drive every day in the dark on windy dark roads and many times in fog as well. I don't really see much of a need to light up the area in teh dead space below, that generally people either can't see while driving anyway or is of no consequence when driving more than 2mph.

I've had fog lights on prior vehicles that were very useful when I was 4 wheeling at night in the middle of nowhere due to how they lit up the sides while I was necessarily driving at very low speeds but I haven't felt any need for them on the MDX which has much better headlights than those other vehicles.

If you think they add a lot of utility and aren't mostly valued for decoration, then that's a good anecdote people considering whether to purchase them should take into account along with what other people say regarding the opposite. Regardless, my advice is to simply not jump immediately onto the idea they're more or less 'necessary' and rather, drive the vehicle for a while first and then decide whether you really think they're needed 'on this vehicle' - especially given the unusually high cost of OEM fog lights on this vehicle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
mdxstang
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing