Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new MDX will be my first vehicle without a CD player. What method do you guys use to get the best quality sound? I do not have unlimited data so I need something that does not involve streaming.

I'm familiar with using a USB drive for music, but I think I read in another post that USB drives don't play well with Android Auto... I think maybe it's not convenient to switch back and forth?

Is the best option to save MP3 music files to my phone and then play those with Android Auto?

I'm picking up my MDX this weekend and want to be ready for the long drive home! 馃槑

Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
Transfer your music to your phone. Since you have an Android, make sure it has a Micro SD card slot. Buy one this black friday and put the music onto it. Then play music via bluetooth. Been doing this on parents vehicle since that doesn't have a CD player (same gen, Nissan just interesting).

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Reactions: lamontdhl557

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Transfer your music to your phone. Since you have an Android, make sure it has a Micro SD card slot. Buy one this black friday and put the music onto it. Then play music via bluetooth. Been doing this on parents vehicle since that doesn't have a CD player (same gen, Nissan just interesting).

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
Can i do that through Android Auto?

Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD

Registered
I stream music the whole way on my coast to coast drives using Pandora, Accuradio, Youtube. I sometimes used Aha but I think that's defunct or otherwise usually doesn't work.

I used XM while it was free when my 2014 MDX was new but they don't have enough choices and I found it monotonous and didn't want to pay to continue it.

Streaming music may not use as much data as you might think so you ight want to try it. Depending on your cell provider you can usually check to see how much data you've actually used and some will permit streaming. You might want to see what yours will do.

Streaming provides unlimited variety - something handy on long trips. I'm tired of almost anything I've ever purchased on CD anyway.

Registered
I've read that a separate USB drive doesn't play well with android auto, so I think using a microUSB in the phone is the simplest (other than streaming).
Works for me....once I reformatted my thumb drive to FAT32.

Reactions: kimdx

Registered
My new MDX will be my first vehicle without a CD player. What method do you guys use to get the best quality sound? I do not have unlimited data so I need something that does not involve streaming.

I'm familiar with using a USB drive for music, but I think I read in another post that USB drives don't play well with Android Auto... I think maybe it's not convenient to switch back and forth?

Is the best option to save MP3 music files to my phone and then play those with Android Auto?

I'm picking up my MDX this weekend and want to be ready for the long drive home! 馃槑
Get Spotify. Download your playlists to your phone. Stream from the phone to the car.

Registered
what does this mean exactly? Do I need to do that?
I had several thumb drives that I had used in my Honda, but was unable to use them in the MDX. I little research lead me to find that the thumb drives needed to be formatted in FAT32. I had to download free software to do it, but it was really quite simple. Copied the thumb drives to my hard drive, reformatted the drive and recopied the playlists to the reformatted drive.....quite simple and it worked for me.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had several thumb drives that I had used in my Honda, but was unable to use them in the MDX. I little research lead me to find that the thumb drives needed to be formatted in FAT32. I had to download free software to do it, but it was really quite simple. Copied the thumb drives to my hard drive, reformatted the drive and recopied the playlists to the reformatted drive.....quite simple and it worked for me.
Thanks! This is helpful. I just put my music on the microSD card in my phone so I'm hoping that is going to work though android auto.

Registered
Large flash drives are often formatted with exFAT, which was a Microsoft proprietary file system until 2019, and has certain advantages over the non-proprietary FAT32 file system. Microsoft used to collect a royalty on exFAT so there was motivation to use FAT32 instead. Also, FAT32 was supported in Linux while exFAT got support in the kernel just recently. Unless you are a geek like me you might find it difficult to determine which file system any flash drive has, and whether your phone can read it. Just connect it to the phone and see if you can access it; if not, then it is best to use the phone to reformat the drive to FAT32 (but losing the data so needs to be reloaded).

My 2016 Base MDX can read flash drives but navigating it through the MDX interface is painful. Hence the attraction of using an iPod attached to it, as the support in the MDX was excellent. Higher trims had storage but the only way to load it was one CD at a time and let the MDX rip the CD - no way to put an MP3 or FLAC library on it. The Android Auto equipped cars can play music from your Android device, but of course it is your device (phone, tablet) that is reading the SDcard so that is where the file system compatibility comes in. If you didn't have an SDcard slot it might be possible to use an OTG (On-The-Go) adapter with a USB flash drive or SDcard adapter (again, depends on the phone).

The 3rd gen MDX had really cheap speakers, and upgrading them made a significant difference in sound quality. The 4th gen has more speakers but I wouldn't bet on their quality - I hope someone pulls a door panel off and examines one. It is a cheap way to improve sound quality if done DIY.

Registered

I've had a bunch of MDX's, latest is an 18. Wife has a 21 RDX, which is more similar to your new ride. I use a program called Audials for my music and have downloaded about 1200 songs. I have them in 6 ''playlists'' in my Apple 13 PM. They play flawlessly through either Bluetooth or direct wire. With wire it is obvious the sound quality is superior to Bluetooth. No doubt there is some lost of fidelity through the codex scheme they are utilizing. Much too complicated for this old guy to explain but your ears will tell you. I like to use phone navigation (I have Apple, Android and Waze) from which to choose. I find any one of them vastly superior to the OEM nav, if you have that, especially voice commands. If I am not mistaken I think your new MDX will connect your phone to your car without a wire. (with both of my Acura's Bluetooth is only for music). I am not sure how that works regarding music quality. I encourage you to spend a bunch of time with your new ride to wring out all of it's capabilities, features, etc. There is a ton of neat stuff at your fingertips. Congrats on your new ride, we hope you'll love it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts