Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firestone was gracious enough to quote me $300 for spark plug replacement with Double Platinum plugs. If I wanted Iridium it was going to cost $30 per part. They also assured me that Platinum plugs run cooler and last just as long. Unsurprisingly I wasn't able to find anyone to corroborate this.

So I called a dealer just for fun to see what they would quote me. $310, but ALSO for Platinum plugs. I asked him why not iridium? He assured me that Platinum was the OEM part... huh. I couldn't find anything online to corroborate that either.

Anyone run into this... situation?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is my understanding as well. What are the chances of both of them being... misinformed?

I was thinking there was some new Acura technical Bulletin recommending Platinum. Nothing from what I could see.

Thanks for your due diligence!

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
That is my understanding as well. What are the chances of both of them being... misinformed?
Quite high. Firestone is not held in high regard in the automotive industry... So no surprise there. And service advisors at dealerships are really just sales people... So don't expect much there, either.

I would suggest following your manual unless you have a compelling reason to deviate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What year is your MDX? I believe 01-02 used platinum and 03-06 used iridium as OEM.
I'm sorry I should have specified. I have an '04.

That actually sounds like just subtle enough of a change to confuse them unfortunately.

Seems like the probably cause, thank you!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same as 'LeftOverParts'. I ordered the OEM NGK iridium plugs from RockAuto and changed them out myself. A couple of them are a pain to get to, but still DIYable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts