Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after some go around with a number of people to find someone to do the TB change on my 2013 I looked up an old local mechanic that had a good reputation. He had no issues with me bringing my own parts so I bought the Aisin kit and Continental Serpentine belt kit to him. $360 and two days later job is done! 111980 miles.

Had to enter the radio code after but since I had the card in my glove box with the code no issue

·
Registered
937 Posts
CAD $360 is extremely cheap for a TB in Canada. But from my experience in electronic repair older dudes really know their stuff and do not charge something inappropriate, so there's hope this guy did everything correctly!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CAD $360 is extremely cheap for a TB in Canada. But from my experience in electronic repair older dudes really know their stuff and do not charge something inappropriate, so there's hope this guy did everything correctly!
It was $360 USD just for labour. Other local shop wanted 3.5 hours so that sounds about right.

VPN is through Canada so it tags me as being in Canada. I am a Canadian and US citizen living in US

·
Registered
79 Posts
Got to say, the J series engines are by far the easiest to work with if you ever want to DIY a timing belt service... plenty of space for tools and hands....

So far, Ive done Timing belts on 93 Honda Civic, 99 Accord, 10 Odyssey & 04 Volvo V40. The J series is cake!

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Got to say, the J series engines are by far the easiest to work with if you ever want to DIY a timing belt service... plenty of space for tools and hands....

So far, Ive done Timing belts on 93 Honda Civic, 99 Accord, 10 Odyssey & 04 Volvo V40. The J series is cake!
do you need a tool to lock the camshafts?

·
Registered
937 Posts
do you need a tool to lock the camshafts?
Might be useful, but I didn't need it, they never moved for me. But even if they do, just return them to the TDC, no biggie.

Not on the second gen MDX, there isn't :) Even removing the side engine mount is quite a pain.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I've done a few Subaru EJ25 both DOHC and SOHC engines and the timing belts on those are a breeze compared to the MDX Second Gen. After watching the YouTube video and the difficulty in removing the crank pulley bolt, I elected to farm out the job. I asked several experienced Honda Techs to see if they were interested in doing the job on the side and got no takers so I asked a local who came highly recommended and he did the job for me.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
655 Posts
Through Facebook, I found a few Honda/Acura local car clubs.
I asked who they had work on their timing belts.
2 or 3 names were recommended.
I got quotes of $250 and $300.
I asked for the used parts.

·
Registered
23 Posts
How hard is it to break loose the crank pully with hand tools? I do have a long breaker bar that I can use and not just a pipe on a handle. I do plan on buying the tool to help me crack it loose but I’m just wondering if this is a good time to invest in a impact wrench when I don’t use it often. I’m thinking the money I’m saving by diy I can get a good 1/2” dewalt impact.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Back in the days, before purchasing my HarborFreight 1/2” impact gun, I had HarborFreight 2ft breaker bar coupled with 4ft steel pipe to loosened a 99 Accord Crank Pulley... Heard the Crank Bolt pop loose at the same time pee in my pants....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Back in the days, before purchasing my HarborFreight 1/2” impact gun, I had HarborFreight 2ft breaker bar coupled with 4ft steel pipe to loosened a 99 Accord Crank Pulley... Heard the Crank Bolt pop loose at the same time pee in my pants....
yea those crackles are unnerving!! I used to use a 2 foot pipe on my socket wrench to break apart turbo bolts.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts