Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yes, Post 1700 to tell you I finally got my reverse alarm from Trilogix of Canada.. through the 12voltshop.com

Here's pic of all the components and I will foto the install. It should go on quite easy. It's been on sale for $99 reg. $149.
Only has 2 sensors. I plan to mount them above the plastic fake skid plate thingy on the rear bumper. Right on the ends of it. The fake skid doofus pulls away a bit from the plastic bumper covering just enough to hide the wires in there, then under hitch and the up through the same grommet as the hitch wiring. I can put the small module in the storage area.
The sensors plug into the control module and 2 wires to ground and pick up the 12 volts from the left side back up bulb wire.
The display and tiny alarm wire to the drivers fuse box and ground. The little display mounts up by the rear view mirrior and recieives the signals from the module through wireless means.
We shall see how it goes, watch this space!

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
DaleB ... Cool, thanks for sharing ...

Is the display battery operated [self-contained] or does it wire to vehicle 12v system. If it wires to vehicle system, why did they bother to make the display [receiver] wireless if you gotta run wires to it anyway?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
DaleB -- I second that notion! Does it give a visual distance display AND an audible tone? And what led you to choose this unit over, say, the Poron?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
frostyra said:
DaleB -- I second that notion! Does it give a visual distance display AND an audible tone? And what led you to choose this unit over, say, the Poron?
frostyra:
Availability and price. The only advantage (at this point) of the Poron are 3 sensors.
They would seem to operate similarly.

srbep:
The only reason for wires on the display unit are for power. Of course for control you would have to run much longer wires.

Yes, it gives you a tone as well as a display of distance.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
At the risk of having the thread wiped:

Or maybe a voice would have forced renaming of the vehicle from MDX to MDXX:

Picture the following scenario as you proceed to back up and there is indeed a wall [or other obstacle a distance behind you]:

OK [when putting it in gear].
More.
More.
More.
Slow down.
Getting closer.
Go slower.
Almost there.
Stop.
Please Stop.
Dang it, stop.

Am I banned? :17:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi. I was wondering if anyone has considered purchasing the pilot reverse camera for the mdx. I would think that since they are basically the same acr that it should work well?

Just curious. I am thinking of doing something like that.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
DaleB said:

I do have Navi, maybe the 'union' only allows one voice-over per car.
What "union" doesn't understand won't hurt her. Unlike some of us who installed the Poron system with the voice, I guess you are not able to experience "menage-a-trois" with your navi girl and your back-up girl :D.

Shh... Don't tell my wife. She thinks I installed the back-up alarm to make it easier for her to park ;).

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
emperorish said:
Hi. I was wondering if anyone has considered purchasing the pilot reverse camera for the mdx. I would think that since they are basically the same acr that it should work well?

Just curious. I am thinking of doing something like that.
emperorish,

Here is just one of the previous threads discussing this topic:

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5748&highlight=Pilot+backup+camera

If you do a search, you will find out that there are several others addressing this subject. Search function is your friend, use it wisely :).

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
REVERSE AID Installed.......

Ok, I've installed the heart of the unit, the sensors and control module. I will do the display another time when it cools down out there. 90 + in the shade!
It actually works just fine without the display unit. I have the control module mounted in the storage area and the beeping is piercing enough to hear even when close to the car from the outside.
I put it in reverse, it beeps once initially, assuming nothing is directly behind me, it is now quiet. I start moving back and the beeps get more frequent, until it is a steady tone about 18" from the object.
It detected a tall object on either side, or in the center, it starts beeping about 5 feet away. It detected a wash bucket on the ground, at about 3 feet away.
I have the hitch bumper installed, and not sure if that might have some effect on the the it's range or coverage error. But overall, I would say it's very effective.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
more detail. I had already mounted the module on the outside of the plastic covers which lines the storage box at the rear. The Green with Black Stripe (ignore silver paint marks) is the reverse light connection. The only black wire is ground.
Makes no difference if you have a hitch wired in or not, this all done on the car side of the trailer connections.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Works better than ever now!

I was having a problem with this reverse-aid system. It beeped too much as if it was too sensitive.
It turns out after finally getting a response from the 12voltshop.com that the sensors needed to be realigned.
I did not pay attention to the slight curvature of the rear bumper of the MDX causing the sensor to react to objects on the side like posts, fences, etc.
Also, I was told that aiming it higher will make them less sensitive to the ground. I did both so they were aimed straight back and slightly up.
Now it works perfectly. It begins to beep about 5 feet from an object and within every foot of closing in, the beeps become faster. About a foot away it becomes a solid tone. It becomes a solid tone before object hits my hitch-step.
I have not yet installed the front display which give you the closing distance. I have the module installed in the storarge area (pic) and it can be heard clearly.
Success! Highly recommended, and now on sale for only $90.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts